Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NY Jets 2013 Salary Cap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Some of the more "optimistic" posters around here have told us that it is no problem because we have Vlad and Schlauderauff ready to step in at RG and LG.
    Slauson and Howard are young enough to keep. Howard can be tendered while a draft pick is Groomed to take his place.

Oline would be my top priority this offseason. if Tanny and Rex are kept on Woody should have them trade down twice in the first then use the first two picks on olineman

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah we will have between 22-29 mil without making any harsh moves. I think if they play it smart can nickle and dime quite a bit more. If they finally build in the draft it shouldn't be hard. Stop trading up ONE FRIGGEN year and build a young team. We could easy fill 8-10 spots in the draft on the cheap. Outside of that the question is more who gets traded if they want to improve.

Harris, Holmes, Cro, Tebow, and Sanchez are all players that we could trade to free up more space then if we cut them. I don't see anyone taking Sanchez really but the other maybe. Trading Cro I think gets us like 7 mill and right now he may even fetch a good draft pick as well. TB got a 4th out of Talib but the Eagles only got a 7th for Samuel though so somewhere in between I'd think Cro is worth. I'd take a 5th if we could get it. Good player but he not helping us win at the price we are paying. Either way that would be an easy fix unless Revis held out which I really don't see happening now. Holmes too saves more if traded. If it is just about moving the money someone would be willing to take Holmes for a 7th. There are a few teams in a lot worse shape then us at WR that wouldn't mind taking the gamble on him. I think we'd have to pay more then just his signing bonus to move but we can still save quite a bit and WR is not a huge issue for us IMO. Kerley and Hill are both pretty good they just need a better QB. Harris I think all depends on if we plan on keeping him for 2 years. If so extend if not you might as well trade him and Pouha switch to a 4-3 and stack up on late rounders. For the discount I'd think some 3-4 team would take Pouha.

You could also rework Mangolds deal to save money as well. Really I think Mangolds deal would be easy. Move 3 mil over and give him more guaranteed money. 2014 he only makes like 7.2 mil. If he is the team leader we credit him as it shouldn't be a hard deal. 2015 is his big money year and he only has 3 mil guaranteed. This is still just a better year cap wise then last year. They just put all their Eggs in that Sanchez basket which was stupid. We may not be good next year but at least this team will be forced to commit to getting younger. Something they should have done 5 years ago when they stopped rebuilding after 1 year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Revis stays, I think the jets let him test the market and then re-sign him. In 2014 they will be flush with cash, have a much younger team and while he is not a "leader" I think he will add a steadying influence. Cro will be in his last year so the jets wont have too much money tied up in one position long term.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What would be nice is if the Jets traded at least one of the 3 of Sanchez, Holmes or Harris. Harris is a solid player but his play on the field doesnt match up with his salary. If you get relief from Sanchez by trading him and eating some of his salary with the assumption that the other team picks up say the other half you can draft a QB in the 2nd round and have McElroy start the season. Clearly you are in rebuilding mode so doing this until the 2014 season would allow for a better total overhaul while waiting on a Franchise QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dreamers, the Steelers could only get a 5th rd pick for him when he was making 1mill a year and coming off the best year of his career, heis now making almost 10 mill and is coming off a season ending injury, which followed a season which he was more trouble than what he was worth. if he is released, a team will take a flyer on him with an incentive laden contract, but any possibity of a trade is far fetched.

I think you could easly get am early 4th or late 3rd for Cro. he has two years left, and is young enough to warrant an extension. While he is immature, he does not have the locker room baggage of Holmes.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some of you guys are getting carried away here. Harris is still a good young player. You want to clean house I understand but he is not the problem. We dont need to get crazy and we dont need 70 mil in cap space to make a difference.

One thing can be said about Tanny is we never have to worry about the cap. I think the big risking contracts are behind us for the most part. They have put more emphasis on the draft the last few years.

Fact is some guys in this league get over paid and some guys get under paid. Harris maybe getting a lot of money next year but what about those years where he was way underpaid? We have to look at it from both ends. He is still a very good player. Stats dont lie!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    Some of you guys are getting carried away here. Harris is still a good young player. You want to clean house I understand but he is not the problem. We dont need to get crazy and we dont need 70 mil in cap space to make a difference.

One thing can be said about Tanny is we never have to worry about the cap. I think the big risking contracts are behind us for the most part. They have put more emphasis on the draft the last few years.

Fact is some guys in this league get over paid and some guys get under paid. Harris maybe getting a lot of money next year but what about those years where he was way underpaid? We have to look at it from both ends. He is still a very good player. Stats dont lie!
    So because Harris outplayed his rookie deal, it is OK to grossly over pay him because of that??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Dreamers, the Steelers could only get a 5th rd pick for him when he was making 1mill a year and coming off the best year of his career, heis now making almost 10 mill and is coming off a season ending injury, which followed a season which he was more trouble than what he was worth. if he is released, a team will take a flyer on him with an incentive laden contract, but any possibity of a trade is far fetched.

I think you could easly get am early 4th or late 3rd for Cro. he has two years left, and is young enough to warrant an extension. While he is immature, he does not have the locker room baggage of Holmes.
    I'd take a 3rd or 4th for Cro in a second. WOW a 3rd even I wouldn't dream of that. Talib had issues but was pretty good and younger I don't see Cro getting more. Some teams take risks I guess. NE took Haysworth and he couldn't even pass a physical. As always though I think Cros fate is held up by Revis. Personally if I am the GM I'd ride out Revis and trade Cro. Take the risk of loosing both because lefts face it the team needs the cap. If it means bringing in one long term answer at RB or OLB sign me up.

As for Holmes I say the same thing. If your KC do you keep messing with Bowe or bring in anyone that can help right off the bat. Same with teams like SD, Denver, NE, SL, Cleveland. They can either spend big money on a long term deal in FA or bring in Holmes for a 7th and at worst cut him after 1 year. He'd be a nice stall for a team that doesn't want to commit 60 mil to Bowe, Wes, or Jennings. Well maybe less for Wes but that is only because no one is giving him a 5-6 year deal. It could be done. I want him to stay but if we could drop that salary I'd get it. Anything is possible until it is past. That is much more viable then someone taking Sanchez and 8.5 mil IMO. I really feel this team will make something happen that will make us go WOW nice move.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I'd take a 3rd or 4th for Cro in a second. WOW a 3rd even I wouldn't dream of that. Talib had issues but was pretty good and younger I don't see Cro getting more. Some teams take risks I guess. NE took Haysworth and he couldn't even pass a physical. As always though I think Cros fate is held up by Revis. Personally if I am the GM I'd ride out Revis and trade Cro. Take the risk of loosing both because lefts face it the team needs the cap. If it means bringing in one long term answer at RB or OLB sign me up.

As for Holmes I say the same thing. If your KC do you keep messing with Bowe or bring in anyone that can help right off the bat. Same with teams like SD, Denver, NE, SL, Cleveland. They can either spend big money on a long term deal in FA or bring in Holmes for a 7th and at worst cut him after 1 year. He'd be a nice stall for a team that doesn't want to commit 60 mil to Bowe, Wes, or Jennings. Well maybe less for Wes but that is only because no one is giving him a 5-6 year deal. It could be done. I want him to stay but if we could drop that salary I'd get it. Anything is possible until it is past. That is much more viable then someone taking Sanchez and 8.5 mil IMO. I really feel this team will make something happen that will make us go WOW nice move.
    Holmes in NE, you must not remember the crap he said about BB. I said teams would be interested in Holmes but not under that contract, no one would be, I don't even think the jets want him. Can you imagine a GM going to his owner and tel him he wants holmes to be in his pocket for 8 mill?

yeah, the pats traded for haynesworth after he cut his salary to 1.5 mil. But his contract was not guaranteed, holmes is. The team that trades for Holmes is responsible for the future guarantees that the jets put into that contract also. Chargers- AJ Smith! are you kidding me?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Stats do lie! is the tackle made at the LOS or 5 yds down field. The stat still calls it a tackle. An iterception could be from a tipped ball knocked to him at the LOS and not him running stride for stride with a TE 20 yds down the field.

He is not the problem, his contract is. If he was making 5 mill a year, his name would not be even brought up. But he is making 10 mill and there was a question on extending him past the next two years just to save 4 mill in cap space next year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So because Harris outplayed his rookie deal, it is OK to grossly over pay him because of that??
    I'm not saying that at all. But its all about how the deal is structured.

I dont know what the numbers are on his contract but often contracts are made with "ballon" years. So in his new deal he may have a year or two where he is making a lot of money while other years not so much. I would like to see the breakdown of his contract.

You guys seem to have such black and white thinking. Contracts are structured in varies ways for different reasons.

Fact is the guy earned the contract he got. Now maybe we arent happy with how its structured but that can be changed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know what the numbers are on his contract but often contracts are made with "ballon" years. So in his new deal he may have a year or two where he is making a lot of money while other years not so much. I would like to see the breakdown of his contract.

You guys seem to have such black and white thinking. Contracts are structured in varies ways for different reasons.

Fact is the guy earned the contract he got. Now maybe we arent happy with how its structured but that can be changed.
    He was tagged on 2011. So was given 10 mil in guaranteed for that.

2011 $4,000,000 $24,900,000 ($20,900,000)
    2012 $12,000,000 $20,900,000 ($8,900,000)
    2013 $13,000,000 $9,000,000 $4,000,000
    2014 $7,000,000 $2,000,000 $5,000,000

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The Jets signed Harris to a 1 year franchise tender in 2011. We are estimating the value of the tag at $10,190,000, which is fully guaranteed.
    Harris signed a 4 year contract with the Jets on August 2, 2011. The contract is worth $36 million with $29.5 million guaranteed. Harris received a $8 million signing bonus. Base salaries of the contract are $2,000,000(2011), $9,900,000(2012), $10,900,00(2013), and $7,000,000(2014). Harris can earn an additional $5 million in 2014 based on reaching certain incentives
    Straight for our cap page

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Harris is a good solid player. But he doesn't bring anything to the table that the average MLB in a 3-4 defense brings. He lacks speed and doesn't cover very well. I suspect that while he is a leader on the team I question all of the "leaders" when players are mouthing off at the press ALL of the time. Character is great to have on the team, you need that. But I think the Jets overpaid for a middle of the pack MLB because he was a great character guy.

That said, cutting or trading him if he brings a solid $4-5 mil in cap relief when you have players like Davis and Bellore who provide a bit more range and a far cheaper price gives me the confidence that since we are in a rebuilding mode he could be a potential target. I'm not saying we have to trade him, just saying in order to get more flexibility in the cap this could be an option if I was the GM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Harris isn't worth $11m a year as previously noted.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I think Revis stays, I think the jets let him test the market and then re-sign him. In 2014 they will be flush with cash, have a much younger team and while he is not a "leader" I think he will add a steadying influence. Cro will be in his last year so the jets wont have too much money tied up in one position long term.
    Revis stays if for no other reason that he is an unknown going into 2013. No one will give full value until they can see that he can still play at a high level after that injury.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    flat out Harris is not worth cutting. Yes he is getting to much money but outside of that he is a very good player. To say he is an average MLB is really not accurate.

We have the cap space for him so why cut a very good, still young player that is a good locker room guy. Especially when we have no one to replace him. I can see if we had someone waiting in the wings but we don't!

I dont even know why we are talking about it anyway there is no way no how he is getting cut. Not with Rex and Tanny running the show not with ANYONE else running the show.

There isnt one team in this league outside of the 49ers that wouldnt want or couldnt use David Harris on there team.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a train wreck - so out of an awful season in essence the Jets will be stuck with the same awful team, coach and mgt that they had this yr...no reason to cut bait after the season as no decent GM/coach will come into this mess....so Rex/Tanny will likely get one more year and then its the house cleaning...

BUT Woody must put the handcuffs on Tanny - cant let him blow the 2014 season as well....he should be allowed to sign cheap players with some upside, no restructuring and trade down at least 4-5 times to accumulate picks for once.

I have zero faith in Woody doing that so just getting ready for more years of this crap

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thought I'd bump this to show how utterly impossible it is to cut Sanchez. We'd be lucky to have $20mm to spend with 35 guys on the active roster after cuts and FA departures.