Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe McKnight to See Time at Wide Receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    I think the point here is not to make McKnight into Woodhead, Welker, or anyone else.

The point is that if a guy has a strength that you can exploit, can you take advantage of it?

That's what those guys on the Pats are doing. Welker's not being asked to stretch the field and Woodhead's not being asked to carry for 40 times a game. They each have unique skills that the Patriots have found ways to exploit.

That's what you want the Jets coaches to do...exploit their skills...don't try to make them do things they can't do. Set them up for success, not failure.
    Well said!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    What

A

Joke

Hopefully next year we will have a real coaching staff that will teach McKnight how to carry the football properly and will use him the right way.
    As the QB, and leader of the offense, Sanchez should be the one teaching McNight about the importance of ball security and how to properly carry the football.

I don't get the outrage. McKnight is the only big play threat we have. Whatever we have to do to get the ball into his hands more. Nobody said he won't continue to get carries with Greene and powell

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Or another round of excuses.

On a side note they played together at USC. And petyon manning never played with D. Thomas or Eric Decker, seems like thats working out just fine.
    Are you actually comparing Sanchez to Payton Manning? Wow no wonder we traded up to get him.

Veteran
    I like the idea of getting him the ball in space. I just hope he doesn't fumble as soon as contact arrives.

Jets shouldve kept LEON WASH... Screw McKnight bc he sux... Washington had moves on top of moves... F Mcknight!!! Jets need to draft another playmaker like Washington asap..

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    His ball handling is a concern, one that CAN be fixed.

But McKnight is arguably the best playmaker we have on O right now.

He and Kerley need to touch the ball far more often.

If playing McKnight in a H-Back/Slot WR gets him more touches, so be it. I support it.
    I would support it too, but with this coaching staff they will do it half-way. If you're going to make this move, then make it and really use the guy. They won't...

Plus Sanchez is still throwing him the ball. For a guy like him to be really successful he needs to be hit in-stride on short routes. Sanchez doesn't have that skill-set.

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Are you actually comparing Sanchez to Payton Manning? Wow no wonder we traded up to get him.
    Ryan Tannehill never played with Davonne Bess or Brian Hartline, or any other NFL receiver. Yet both of those players are having career seasons.

I recall McKnight getting 5-10 yards of separation on a deep route last year against the Giants in that awful Week 16 game. Sanchez naturally overthrew him, but it showed that McKnight can get open down the field when spread out wide. It's worth a shot...even if the QB won't be able to hit him when he's open.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    I don't get the outrage. McKnight is the only big play threat we have. Whatever we have to do to get the ball into his hands more. Nobody said he won't continue to get carries with Greene and powell
    I completely get your point.

But you are assuming we will be able to get the ball in hands if he plays WR.

There is not easier way to get the ball in hands then when he is at RB. PLUS we already suck at RB. Just doesn't make sense why he is not playing RB more.

The team is trying anything to make the McKnight pick work. Face it, folks, the kid doesn't have it.

Special teams? Fine. But as a starting NFL RB or receiver? No chance. Another Tanny/Rex debacle/bust.

All League
    He made a nifty over the shoulder catch against St Louis. I'd give him more reps at WR...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    The team is trying anything to make the McKnight pick work. Face it, folks, the kid doesn't have it.

Special teams? Fine. But as a starting NFL RB or receiver? No chance. Another Tanny/Rex debacle/bust.
    I think you are being a little harsh.

I think he is a good KR who could be a #2 back IF we had a good #1 back. He could be dangerous coming out of the backfield on third downs. As a 4th round pick, I think that is some good value. Unfortunately we are just so inept that even our #1s suck.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Ryan Tannehill never played with Davonne Bess or Brian Hartline, or any other NFL receiver. Yet both of those players are having career seasons.

I recall McKnight getting 5-10 yards of separation on a deep route last year against the Giants in that awful Week 16 game. Sanchez naturally overthrew him, but it showed that McKnight can get open down the field when spread out wide. It's worth a shot...even if the QB won't be able to hit him when he's open.
    When Sanchez had two NFL quality recievers and a crappy coaching staff he was far better then Ryan Tannehill.

I think he is a good KR who could be a #2 back IF we had a good #1 back. He could be dangerous coming out of the backfield on third downs. As a 4th round pick, I think that is some good value. Unfortunately we are just so inept that even our #1s suck.
    Like I said, he's fine as a special teams player. But how many years are we going to wait McKnight to break out? (Plenty of rookies make an impact immediately when given the chance.) It's not like the QB position, where you're learning to read NFL defenses or adapt to the speed of the game. He runs (supposedly). So go out and friggin' break off a run, especially without coughing up the ball.

I'm tired of waiting for him to show up. Know why? Because it'll never happen.

Mcknight fumbles, gets hurt, and doesnt have moves .. Mcknight has straight line speed. Jets need to draft a Short, HARDY RB who doesnt fumble and get hurt all the time .

Who said he is a starting WR? He simply worked at the position in practice....

I dont see how there can be any negativity about getting him a few additional touches out of the WR position. Its not like we are asking him to play guard....he has lined up at WR before in his life. Its not that big of a deal.

He would also be asked to fill the illustrious shoes Clyde freakin Gates, not Larry Fitzgerald

Who said he is a starting WR? He simply worked at the position in practice....

I dont see how there can be any negativity about getting him a few additional touches out of the WR position. Its not like we are asking him to play guard....he has lined up at WR before in his life. Its not that big of a deal.

He would also be asked to fill the illustrious shoes Clyde freakin Gates, not Larry Fitzgerald
    LOL! Very true. He can't be worse.

I have no problem with them working McKnight out at receiver. Guess it bothers me that in week 13, we're still searching for answers that should have been worked out last off-season. Also that we've been fed that McKnight is a legit RB, but that has not become reality.

LOL! Very true. He can't be worse.

I have no problem with them working McKnight out at receiver. Guess it bothers me that in week 13, we're still searching for answers that should have been worked out last off-season. Also that we've been fed that McKnight is a legit RB, but that has not become reality.
    Agreed - OR, if McKnight could actually be useful at WR in certain packages, why havent we tried it in 3 years?

Agreed - OR, if McKnight could actually be useful at WR in certain packages, why havent we tried it in 3 years?
    There ya go. This is what's perplexing to us fans watching OCs like Shoddy and Sparano. Try something!

Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    Mcknight fumbles, gets hurt, and doesnt have moves .. Mcknight has straight line speed. Jets need to draft a Short, HARDY RB who doesnt fumble and get hurt all the time .
    I would love to see McKnight try and catch a ball in traffic. One smack and it's right out of his hands. Terrible idea.