Thread: Why is Eric Smith getting a free pass?

Why is Eric Smith getting a free pass?

He is as much responsible for the Vereen play as Bart Scott. At least Scott got tripped up by Welker, and has some kind of excuse for not catching Vereen. Still slow as ****, but that's beside the point.

Eric Smith looked absolutely pathetic on this play. Any competent safety in this league does not let that happen to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj9G5yBEUBU

Molasses.

Jets Insider VIP
    Because most of us have been calling for Smith's head for years now, and by now have just accepted the fact that he'll remain on the team and suck.

Unlike Scott there was absolutely 0 reason for him to make the team to begin with. He is here because .................. Know one knows. My guess is he has something on Rex.

Because the rb was Scott's man.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Because most of us have been calling for Smith's head for years now, and by now have just accepted the fact that he'll remain on the team and suck.
    Be careful. Some posters might think you want to have Smith's head chopped off.

I don't think so. From what I can tell, it looks like a zone coverage play. Probaby either cover 2 or cover 3. Regardless, It's Smith's job to cover the left half (or third) of the deep field. He should not get beat there.

However, you deserve to get burned for a TD when you have Bart Scott covering the flat with Eric Smith backing him up in the deep half. That's on Rex. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Unlike Scott there was absolutely 0 reason for him to make the team to begin with. He is here because .................. Know one knows. My guess is he has something on Rex.
    Eric Smith is the quintessential coach's pet. Mangini loved him. Rex adores him. After he gets cut this off-season whatever coach has him for the league minimum next year will be licking his balls. Until Eric Smith gets blown up by whatever Tight End is lucky enough to be covered by him.

Great on the practice field, horrible on gameday. He has killed us for years.

Eric Smith is garbage but that play was all on Bart or Rex for having him out there in the first place, you choose. Smith was on Welker and after he passed him off to Landry that's when he came back once he saw Bart staring at Vereen's ass. Bart should not play another down in a Jet uniform and let Davis get as much experience as possible these next five games. He's the future.

All League
    OMG, the difference between Landry's speed and Smith's speed ...

Jets Insider VIP
    My guess is...he has nice feet.

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    We need to see more of Allen and Bush IMO. Bush hasn't looked bad at all. If he is ready and Allen even has promise for next year you can let Bell and Smith both walk. For 6th rounders I like both of these guys.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    If you're referring to the guy who came up at the very end by the EZ, I believe that was Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bachelors III View Post
    Eric Smith is garbage but that play was all on Bart or Rex for having him out there in the first place, you choose. Smith was on Welker and after he passed him off to Landry that's when he came back once he saw Bart staring at Vereen's ass. Bart should not play another down in a Jet uniform and let Davis get as much experience as possible these next five games. He's the future.
    Smith has been murdering our pass defense for years. You could make a 30 minute collage of him getting torched by tight ends and fullbacks for huge plays, long td passes and goal-line tds. Eric Smith couldn't cover Jonny Mitchell with both legs broken.

Wanna know why Tanny should be fired? 7 words:

Eric Smith Has Two Million Base Salary

Bewildered Beast
    What does it matter? Mark Sanchez had a "moment" and it was over then.

But guys he is a great 3rd safety hybrid and when used right

It's really unbelievable how this scrub plays over promising rookies Bush and Allen......

Smart teams will continue to isolate and pick on Eric Smith every single time he is out covering or in any kind of space.....

Really makes me wonder what the hell Rex is doing

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    But guys he is a great 3rd safety hybrid and when used right

It's really unbelievable how this scrub plays over promising rookies Bush and Allen......

Smart teams will continue to isolate and pick on Eric Smith every single time he is out covering or in any kind of space.....

Really makes me wonder what the hell Rex is doing
    It is not even the fact that he is bad that bothers me anymore. It is the fact we pay him 3 mil for what 7-15 plays a game. What is he Tebow? Why not just get a god damn OLB that can do his job.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd_Times_A_Charm View Post
    I don't think so. From what I can tell, it looks like a zone coverage play. Probaby either cover 2 or cover 3. Regardless, It's Smith's job to cover the left half (or third) of the deep field. He should not get beat there.

However, you deserve to get burned for a TD when you have Bart Scott covering the flat with Eric Smith backing him up in the deep half. That's on Rex. Ridiculous.
    Brady saw it in about 10 seconds, why can't Rex?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    If you're referring to the guy who came up at the very end by the EZ, I believe that was Bell.
    And Bell is considered to be and old, slow, in the box safety.

If Bell is "slow," what does that make Smith?

We need to see more of Allen and Bush IMO. Bush hasn't looked bad at all. If he is ready and Allen even has promise for next year you can let Bell and Smith both walk. For 6th rounders I like both of these guys.
    Because of Eric Smith, Antonio Allen isnt even on the 53 man roster any more.
    He is on the practice squad.

Smith blows. We all know it.
    Dwight Lowery had another interception on Sunday...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    If Bell is "slow," what does that make Smith?
    Eric Smith.