Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56

Thread: Joe McKnight to See Time at Wide Receiver?

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    1,071

    Joe McKnight to See Time at Wide Receiver?

    Brian Costello reports Joe McKnight is expecting to receive time at wide receiver due to injuries.

    McKnight was briefly sent to the defensive side of the ball from running back earlier this season. With recent injuries to Jeremy Kerley, Clyde Gates, and Chaz Schilens, the Jets do need bodies for the position. Hence the potential "trade" of McKnight to the wide receiver position. He has good receiving skills for a back. Maybe they can transfer to this new role.

    I still can't say I love this move for one simple reason. The current starter really is not getting the job done at McKnight's natural position. I get that Joe has a bit of a fumbling problem, but so does said starter there. It is somewhat confusing to see the Jets give McKnight a shot to make a difference at every position except the one he actually plays. What's up with that?

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,123
    What

    A

    Joke

    Hopefully next year we will have a real coaching staff that will teach McKnight how to carry the football properly and will use him the right way.

  3. #3
    Maybe, just maybe, McKnight could fill that "Woodhead role".

    I don't know.

    I give up.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    What

    A

    Joke

    Hopefully next year we will have a real coaching staff that will teach McKnight how to carry the football properly and will use him the right way.
    I actually completely disagree.

    Moving him to CB was ridiculous, WR is an excellent fit for him and a good use of skills now that gates (who shouldnt be on a roster anyway) and chaz are hurt.

    McKnight as an excellent build for an inside/slot WR, he is great in space and after the catch and struggles in pass protection. Any decent coaching staff would have made this move a long time ago. Instead we have arguably our best "playmaker", after kerley, playing special teams only aside from 2 carries a game.

  5. #5
    LOL, nice team depth idiots. How about if we actually use one of our WR on the psqaud instead, or raid another teams psquad if need be. Losers.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, McKnight could fill that "Woodhead role".

    I don't know.

    I give up.
    Decent comparison but someone like edelman is more apt.

    Edelman is 5'10 200 lbs McKnight is 5'11 and 215, but faster.

    Would it really be so bad if we had mcknight out there and tried a bubble/WR screen to him? Can he not be a "slot decoy" who also has the speed to get over the top if they put a LB on him?

    Bottom line, good times (see pats and edelman/woodhead) find a way to play to their players strengths. We have instead kept mcknight on the bench for 3 years....

  7. #7
    His ball handling is a concern, one that CAN be fixed.

    But McKnight is arguably the best playmaker we have on O right now.

    He and Kerley need to touch the ball far more often.

    If playing McKnight in a H-Back/Slot WR gets him more touches, so be it. I support it.

  8. #8
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northport, LI
    Posts
    270
    I see a signature high Sanchez throw being tipped off Joe's hands, turned into 6 points for Arizona this Sunday.....

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,123
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I actually completely disagree.

    Moving him to CB was ridiculous, WR is an excellent fit for him and a good use of skills now that gates (who shouldnt be on a roster anyway) and chaz are hurt.

    McKnight as an excellent build for an inside/slot WR, he is great in space and after the catch and struggles in pass protection. Any decent coaching staff would have made this move a long time ago. Instead we have arguably our best "playmaker", after kerley, playing special teams only aside from 2 carries a game.
    Fair enough.

    I have a hard time assuming that he is going to be able to make an impact at WR. Who knows if he can even run routes let alone learn the plays? I would rather them let him get more experience at RB.

    I think this will be a one game thing like the move to CB was.

    I just feel bad for the kid. We are awful at RB and yet they will not give him a chance. It is like a slap in the face.

  10. #10
    can it hurt to play him at qb too?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Decent comparison but someone like edelman is more apt.

    Edelman is 5'10 200 lbs McKnight is 5'11 and 215, but faster.

    Would it really be so bad if we had mcknight out there and tried a bubble/WR screen to him? Can he not be a "slot decoy" who also has the speed to get over the top if they put a LB on him?

    Bottom line, good times (see pats and edelman/woodhead) find a way to play to their players strengths. We have instead kept mcknight on the bench for 3 years....
    NE's little guys - Welker, Woodhead and Edelman - are all shake and bake athletes. Quick and elusive. Not McKnight's style. He may have more God given talent but they are all better than him - it's called effort and desire maybe.
    Next: Maybe Harris can play TE?

  12. #12
    The gap is closing.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Fair enough.

    I have a hard time assuming that he is going to be able to make an impact at WR. Who knows if he can even run routes let alone learn the plays? I would rather them let him get more experience at RB.

    I think this will be a one game thing like the move to CB was.

    I just feel bad for the kid. We are awful at RB and yet they will not give him a chance. It is like a slap in the face.
    I hope he can play 50% of the offensive snaps for the rest of the season be it at RB or WR. Hes certainly a better NFL player then clyde gates.

    I do agree, and feel bad for him....but I feel bad for US as well.

    We have to sit through this abomination of a season, when we very well could have had 2 backs who can break a run longer then 10 yards AND catch the ball out of the backfield, relegated to 10 combined touches per game.

    As bad as it has been watching rex stick with the atrocious bart scott, keeping shonne greene as the starter in a league predicated on duel threat tailbacks is just unforgivable.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    2,749
    lol what a joke

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,858
    oh well, why not.

  16. #16
    Just what Sanchez needs, another body he doesn't have years of practice time with.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Just what Sanchez needs, another body he doesn't have years of practice time with.
    Or another round of excuses.

    On a side note they played together at USC. And petyon manning never played with D. Thomas or Eric Decker, seems like thats working out just fine.

  18. #18
    I think the point here is not to make McKnight into Woodhead, Welker, or anyone else.

    The point is that if a guy has a strength that you can exploit, can you take advantage of it?

    That's what those guys on the Pats are doing. Welker's not being asked to stretch the field and Woodhead's not being asked to carry for 40 times a game. They each have unique skills that the Patriots have found ways to exploit.

    That's what you want the Jets coaches to do...exploit their skills...don't try to make them do things they can't do. Set them up for success, not failure.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Or another round of excuses.

    On a side note they played together at USC. And petyon manning never played with D. Thomas or Eric Decker, seems like thats working out just fine.
    I believe Mcknight only has 1 catch on the season,which is crazy. You would think before now the Jets would try to get him open in space

  20. #20
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,727
    There's no one else better to stare down Patrick Peterson.


    o
    m
    g

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us