Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fireman Ed's Replacement!

What about this character? I mean, it's on the banner of this website.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/ga...i=35849#pnctrl

Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    What about this character? I mean, it's on the banner of this website.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/ga...i=35849#pnctrl
    Great idea. The Jets very own Pedobear.

bring back this guy!

Brett and I vote for Jen

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Sweet jebus! Just what we need!

I totally agree. Oh my.

Has anyone suggested Kate Upton? Not just a random hot person...there's already a Jets connection. Also, I'd imagine if she prepped for the chant like Ed getting on someone's shoulders and imploring the crowd to "get up!!! get it up!!!" basically every guy in the stadium would comply.

Veteran

Don't resist. You know he is natural fit.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigGreen View Post

Don't resist. You know he is natural fit.
    Jeebus....look at those mugs. lol Chernobyl

The town...that radiation dint forget.

-
    Last edited by 32green; 11-27-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    Has anyone suggested Kate Upton? Not just a random hot person...there's already a Jets connection. Also, I'd imagine if she prepped for the chant like Ed getting on someone's shoulders and imploring the crowd to "get up!!! get it up!!!" basically every guy in the stadium would comply.

Practice Squad
    This clown.
    Last edited by Sexi Rexi; 11-27-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sexi Rexi View Post
    This clown.
    Jeebus....it looks like Flight 687 out of JFK hit the worst goose ever.

-

There is no mascot, there is no chant.

If someone tries to start it, we'll boo him out of the house.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    There is no mascot, there is no chant.

If someone tries to start it, we'll boo him out of the house.

SAR I
    Perhaps you can have a minion staple you to your seat.

-

This clown.
    I pledge allegiance to Captain Jet.

Jets Insider VIP
    This clown.
    No way... I would root for another team.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    No.

This guy is an even bigger embarrassment than Ed.

SAR I
    He lives in New Hampshire.

We've never seen you and this guy together at the same time.

Hmmm.

nothing against the dedicated old guy but we need new blood and a fresh start.

Background
    It was December 9, 1979 and the Jets (6-8) were hosting the Patriots (8-6). The Jets had been eliminated from the playoff contention, but a win would end the Patriots' chances of making the postseason. The halftime show was an exhibition staged by the Electronic Eagles of the Radio Control Association of Greater New York.

The Game
    First half
    The Jets struck first, Derrick Gaffney reeling in a 13 yard pass from Richard Todd for a 7-0 lead. The Patriots came back in the second quarter with 12 unanswered points before Tom Newton restored the Jets lead with a 1 yard run, and Dave Jacobs kicked a field goal to make it 17-12 at halftime.

The Halftime Show
    The Electronic Eagles' model air show, a popular entertainment previously presented hundreds of times at halftimes and other events, featured radio-controlled airplanes that performed maneuvers around the stadium, engaged in aerial dogfights, and showcased flying model planes crafted in unusual shapes. On this occasion, however, the exhibition did not go off without a hitch. Partway through the show a model plane (Snoopy’s flying doghouse) crashed into the football field — a harbinger of tragedy to come, especially after the crowd began to grow concerned about how closely some of the aircraft were approaching to fans seated in the stands. As one spectator present later expressed his unease to the New York Times: 'They were sending those things right over the crowds. I had an aisle seat near an exit, and I had it in my mind that if it came near me, I would run. It seemed so stupid, so sick, to send this thing over these people.'

Shortly before the end of the 15-minute show, Philip Cushman, a Brooklyn auto collision repairman, lost control of the model aircraft he was guiding, a novel plane shaped like a lawnmower with a red reel and silver handle. The plane circled the stadium a few times, then abruptly nose-dived into the stands about five rows behind the Patriots' bench on the third-base side of the stadium. As the lawnmower-shaped craft plummeted into the seats, it struck two spectators, 20-year-old John Bowen of Nashua, New Hampshire, and 25-year-old Kevin Rourke, of Lynn, Massachusetts.

Both men suffered serious head injuries from the incident. Kevin Rourke received emergency room treatment for a concussion and was admitted to a hospital for additional observation, while John Bowen, whom one observer at the scene described as looking 'like he had been attacked by an ax,' underwent emergency surgery that evening. Although Rourke recovered satisfactorily was eventually discharged from the hospital, Bowen died of his injuries four days later.

Second Half
    The game resumed for the second half, with the Patriots scoring to retake the lead, 19-17. Todd would run it in from 8 yards to give the Jets a 24-19 lead at the end of the third quarter. Jacobs would kick a 25 yard field goal, and the Patriots only reply was a 39 yard reception by Stanley Morgan, who had six catches for 129 yards. The final score was 27-26 to the Jets, and the Patriots playoff hopes had crashed.

Aftermath
    Police and prosecutors began an investigation when it became apparent that Bowen was unlikely to survive his injuries, but Queens district attorney John J. Santucci said authorities 'had no reason to believe [the incident] was anything other than an accident,' and the matter was judged to be a civil issue rather than a criminal one.

According to Wikipedia: “On November 17, 1981 a $10 million damage suit was filed by the man’s father in the Federal District Court in Brooklyn. Named as defendants in the negligence suit were the New York Jets Football Club, the Radio Control Association of Greater New York, and the man who designed, built and furnished the model airplane.”

So, uh, pour one out for John Bowen today. And never, ever, send a lawnmower aloft.
    Last edited by vjdbbq; 11-28-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    nothing against the dedicated old guy but we need new blood and a fresh start.
    Let's review some options:

1) Captain Jet: Grizzled veteran. Was probably an enforcer at Shea back in the day.

2) Jedobear: Can't deny it, some star quality there.

3) Jetman: Too intense?

4) The Ed Brigade: Jet fans petition the man himself for the return of Fireman Ed. I'd sign my name to that list.

5) Draft someone randomly from the Hampur: This would have the impact of a Make-A-Wish Foundation visit for some resident JI jokester.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    He can't even decide what chin to put his chin strap on...