Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith- 70% completion rating...benched

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Alex Smith- 70% completion rating...benched

Colin Kaepernick in. Not unreasonable given what Kaepernick has shown but a ballsy move nevertheless. It's not like San Fran was struggling with Smith at QB...

Curious what Harbaugh would do if he were the Jets HC. Would he stick with Sanchez, start Tebow or give McElroy a shot?

Would you want Smith as the Jets QB next year?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Harbaugh would have benched Sanchez b4 october. Our buffoon is clueless.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    49ers have an embarrassment of riches at QB. Their QBs are extremely well-coached. It is night and day compared to us.

I think they will trade Smith for a #2 in the off season. But to answer your question, no, I would not want him on the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    And before Harbaugh he was being laughed out of the league. Amazing what good coaching will do

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smith may be a former #1 overall pick, but he was never Harbaugh's guy. Kaepernick is the guy that Harbaugh traded up for in the second round and is clearly "his" guy.

If Harbaugh were the Jets HC, I suspect he might play McElroy for evaluative purposes but would likely look elsewhere for a QB1 in the offseason.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at this year's draft - there should be some real developmental talent at QB available in the 2nd round. So the Jets could have their own CK situation next year - and will IMO.

This has nothing to do with Sanchez staying or going for next year - even a front office as dumb as ours needs to prepare for the end of the road with Sanchez.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we had a guy we drafted in the 2nd round with that much talent on the bench it would be a different story. Benching something for the sake of making a change is moronic. Sanchez is the best QB on the roster, end of story.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I'm pretty sure Rex gave Sanchez "his word" that he wouldn't bench him for Tebow.

(when all the early talk was about how it's just a matter of time until the Jets start Tebow)

Rex is being keeping "his word" and letting the team and fans suffer because of it. Misguided loyalty.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm betting on Tebow being the starter for the last 4. He has some bonus's in his deal I think they just don't want to pay.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alex Smith is not much better than Sanchez yet Harbaugh begged Smith to stay...

Let's not go thinking it's been part of Harbaugh's grand plan to get rid of him.

Harbaugh just finally found a guy he thinks is better. Unfortunately, that hitch in Kaeperinick's release is going to hold him back.
    Last edited by jetsfan1983; 11-27-2012 at 02:11 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't know we had a player like Kaepernick on the bench. Only a fool doesn't realize the difference between Kaepernick and Tebow/Mcelroy. You want to question the front office for not bringing in a better QB than Tebow, fine, but SAnchez is far and away the best QB on the roster.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I'm betting on Tebow being the starter for the last 4. He has some bonus's in his deal I think they just don't want to pay.
    I've heard this conspiracy theory before and I'm curious to know how much merit there is to it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    49ers have an embarrassment of riches at QB. Their QBs are extremely well-coached. It is night and day compared to us.
    That's the difference between an offensive-minded HC versus a defensive-minded HC.

You win today in the NFL with offense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    If we had a guy we drafted in the 2nd round with that much talent on the bench it would be a different story. Benching something for the sake of making a change is moronic. Sanchez is the best QB on the roster, end of story.
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I didn't know we had a player like Kaepernick on the bench. Only a fool doesn't realize the difference between Kaepernick and Tebow/Mcelroy. You want to question the front office for not bringing in a better QB than Tebow, fine, but SAnchez is far and away the best QB on the roster.
    Did either of you know that Kaepernick was going to play well enough to unseat a QB hitting 70% of his passes in the middle of a playoff run? Of course you didn't. You had to see him on the field first. We've seen Tebow play QB, but we haven't seen McElroy run with the first unit. So I don't automatically concede that Sanchez is the best QB on the roster.

Besides, it wouldn't be a move "just for the sake of making a change." It would be a move made because the starting QB is in the bottom-five of starting QBs in the NFL, and continues to make back-breaking mistakes in the middle of games to take his own team out of contention.

Do I think McElroy would be any better? No. But I'm a lot more interested to see how he'd perform under fire than I am to watch Sanchez eat ass (figuratively and literally) for another four quarters.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    If Rex thought Tebow gave the Jets a better chance of winning he would be starting.

Either way, if the Jets win this week and Sanchez plays solid (15-22, 250 Yards, 1td, 1int) there is no way they would start Tebow the following week. If Sanchez implodes that would be a different story.

Also remember that if the Jets are officially out of the playoff hunt and Tebow comes in and wins the last 3 or 4 games it would make Rex look even more stupid for not making the change earlier. Plus we are locked into Sanchez for next year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Did either of you know that Kaepernick was going to play well enough to unseat a QB hitting 70% of his passes in the middle of a playoff run? Of course you didn't.
    Genius, the point is that Harbaugh did, which is why he made the switch. He wasn't making the switch becase Smith was terrible, he made the switch because of what he saw in Kaepernick in the preseason and practice.

Rex has seen Tebow, in practice, throw ground balls on crossing patterns which is why he has never gone to Tebow. Ask anyone that has ever watched Tebow in practice and watch Tebow's game film from last year and convince me that he has an NFL arm.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Alex Smith is not much better than Sanchez yet Harbaugh begged Smith to stay...

Let's not go thinking it's been part of Harbaugh's grand plan to get rid of him.

Harbaugh just finally found a guy he thinks is better. Unfortunately, that hitch in Kaeperinick's release is going to hold him back.
    I don't believe this at all!
    Smith is better than Sanchez, he takes care of the ball better & he has to be somewhat accurate to have a 70% completion %!
    And before you start saying its only screens & short passes, well, we already know that Mark sucks at throwing both!
    End of story
    I would easily take Alex over Mark as my starting QB.
    Plus he's had better coaching which will help him going forward.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I don't believe this at all!
    Smith is better than Sanchez, he takes care of the ball better & he has to be somewhat accurate to have a 70% completion %!
    And before you start saying its only screens & short passes, well, we already know that Mark sucks at throwing both!
    End of story
    I would easily take Alex over Mark as my starting QB.
    Plus he's had better coaching which will help him going forward.
    I said he was better. But it's not by much.

Everywhere Harbaugh has ever been, the QB's play out of their mind. From Josh Johnson in college to now with Smith. It's based around the offense he runs.

I don't want guys that are just better than Sanchez... It's a waste of time in today's NFL. We need a top 8 guy because those are the ones who have any legit chance at winning a super bowl. Smith sucks and can't win a super bowl despite more all pros than anyone can count playing around him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kaepernick wins games by making plays.

Smith doesn't lose games.

Our FO doesn't know the difference.

Kaepernick, btw, is going to be a stud barring injury.

Massive arm, 4.5 speed, 6'4", 230 lbs. (probably more like 240.)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Harbaugh won't make any official announcement until tomorrow, although most expect that he'll stick with Kaepernick.

Thread could be a bit premature