Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 56

Thread: Alex Smith- 70% completion rating...benched

  1. #21
    All League
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    3,951
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    If we had a guy we drafted in the 2nd round with that much talent on the bench it would be a different story. Benching something for the sake of making a change is moronic. Sanchez is the best QB on the roster, end of story.
    Sad.....but true.

  2. #22
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Sad.....but true.
    Only part of it is true. We don't have a guy that talented sitting on the bench, no question. The other implication he was making is false. Sanchez apologists would defend him to death still and insist he remain the starter no matter who was back there on the bench.

  3. #23
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,161
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Genius, the point is that Harbaugh did, which is why he made the switch. He wasn't making the switch becase Smith was terrible, he made the switch because of what he saw in Kaepernick in the preseason and practice.

    Rex has seen Tebow, in practice, throw ground balls on crossing patterns which is why he has never gone to Tebow. Ask anyone that has ever watched Tebow in practice and watch Tebow's game film from last year and convince me that he has an NFL arm.
    Oh, so Harbaugh made a switch because of what he saw in practice and preseason? Not because Smith had a concussion, without which he'd still be the unquestioned starter?

    As Slick said, the decision hasn't even been made yet. Might be worth checking some facts (any facts) before throwing out the "genius" knock.

  4. #24
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    4,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Oh, so Harbaugh made a switch because of what he saw in practice and preseason? Not because Smith had a concussion, without which he'd still be the unquestioned starter?

    As Slick said, the decision hasn't even been made yet. Might be worth checking some facts (any facts) before throwing out the "genius" knock.
    The concussion opened the door for Kap but Smith could've started last week and didn't.

  5. #25
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jackson Heights
    Posts
    2,351
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    So the Jets could have their own CK situation next year - and will IMO.
    And Cavanaugh will screw him up too.

  6. #26
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,161
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    The concussion opened the door for Kap but Smith could've started last week and didn't.
    True, but that was more precautionary than anything. Main point is, npbody (including Harbaugh) expected Kaepernick to play as well as he did, and he didn't get the nod based on his performance in practice. It was the case of a guy making the most out of his shot and playing well, and in the eyes of many, playing better than the person most thought was the best QB on the roster for this season.

    I realize Sanchez is probably the best QB on the Jets roster (certainly better than Tebow), but I won't automatically concede that he's a better gameday performer than McElroy because of what we saw from him on a few downs with the #3s in preseason.

  7. #27
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Harbaugh would have benched Sanchez b4 october. Our buffoon is clueless.
    No. He would have developed him first. Access his strengths and weaknesses. What he can and can't do. work with him along with his coaches to improve his weaknesses and then devise an offense around that.

    If Sanchez then bombed he would bench him.

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, CA
    Posts
    8,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    No. He would have developed him first. Access his strengths and weaknesses. What he can and can't do. work with him along with his coaches to improve his weaknesses and then devise an offense around that.

    If Sanchez then bombed he would bench him.
    All joking aside, what does #6 do well?

  9. #29
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    Curious what Harbaugh would do if he were the Jets HC. Would he stick with Sanchez, start Tebow or give McElroy a shot?
    Benched Sanchez.
    Played Tebow then benched Tebow.
    Cut and Replaced McElroy with somone of NFL Calibur, who would now be starting.

    Thats what he'd have done.

    Would you want Smith as the Jets QB next year?
    Absolutely not.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,152
    Post Thanks / Like
    Harbaugh is a smart coach and a good evaluator. He knows that Smith is a better version of sanchez. Looks not bad on a stacked team but in reality is average at best and probably crappy on a bad team. A much better football environment when everyone knows that if you p[lay well and are the best option you will play regardless and that positional competition is a good thing.

    So in other words everything counter to how the Jets handle things.

  11. #31
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,247
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Oh, so Harbaugh made a switch because of what he saw in practice and preseason? Not because Smith had a concussion, without which he'd still be the unquestioned starter?

    As Slick said, the decision hasn't even been made yet. Might be worth checking some facts (any facts) before throwing out the "genius" knock.
    Whether it was he saw in practice or what he saw in the one game Smith was out i don't think the Jets need to see Mcelroy "run" with the first unit to know what they have in him. The Jets went out and got stanton in the off-season to be Mark's backup. If they really liked what they had seen in Mcelroy why go out and get stanton?

    But i am sure you are right and Mcelroy is going to be a stud.

  12. #32
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    All joking aside, what does #6 do well?
    I hear ya. In his defense his development has been completely F'd up. He's 10x worse today that Nov 2009. He's regressed. He could use a change of scenery or under the direction of a well respected OC / QB coach.

  13. #33
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,914
    Post Thanks / Like
    SAnchez is far and away the best QB on the roster.
    Wrong.

    If we started tebow from Day 1 and ran the option offense denver ran last year, we would probably be 6-5 and right in the thick of things for the playoffs.

    So tebow running his offense is better then sanchez running this offense.

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, CA
    Posts
    8,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I hear ya. In his defense his development has been completely F'd up. He's 10x worse today that Nov 2009. He's regressed. He could use a change of scenery or under the direction of a well respected OC / QB coach.
    AT the least it should be VERY interesting what transpires in the offseason.

    FWIW, as much as i bash Sanchez, i think you are right on with the "respected OC coach". Personally i dont think Mark would succeed regardless, but a guy coming out of college THAT early, just to be thrown at the mercy of Brian Schottenheimers, and Tony Sparano's of the NFL wasnt exactly doing him a favor.

  15. #35
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Whether it was he saw in practice or what he saw in the one game Smith was out i don't think the Jets need to see Mcelroy "run" with the first unit to know what they have in him. The Jets went out and got stanton in the off-season to be Mark's backup. If they really liked what they had seen in Mcelroy why go out and get stanton?

    But i am sure you are right and Mcelroy is going to be a stud.
    Nice way to shift your argument without acknowledging that you were completely wrong.

    The FACT is that even in practice, Alex Smith was judged to be their "best option" at QB as he wasn't replaced due to performance. Rather, he was injured, Kap came in as the #2 just like Byron Leftwhich came in and replaced Big Ben. Kap had a good game and Harbaugh decided to go with "the hot hand" as is often the case.

    The simple fact of the matter is that we have no idea what we would see from either Tebow or McElroy running the 1st team offense. Who knows, either one or both of them might just surprise us.

  16. #36
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,915
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    I've heard this conspiracy theory before and I'm curious to know how much merit there is to it.
    I heard this morning he could still earn like 1.5 mil more apparently. He has like 9 mil in hidden incentives which is maddening. Most of that is based off of 40% of our snaps though. At this point if they haven't started him I say yeah save the carry over till next year. What is the point we aren't making the POs.

  17. #37
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Harbaugh is a smart coach and a good evaluator. He knows that Smith is a better version of sanchez. Looks not bad on a stacked team but in reality is average at best and probably crappy on a bad team. A much better football environment when everyone knows that if you p[lay well and are the best option you will play regardless and that positional competition is a good thing.

    So in other words everything counter to how the Jets handle things.
    Except he was after Manning just like the Jets..

  18. #38
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,709
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    If Rex thought Tebow gave the Jets a better chance of winning he would be starting.

    Either way, if the Jets win this week and Sanchez plays solid (15-22, 250 Yards, 1td, 1int) there is no way they would start Tebow the following week. If Sanchez implodes that would be a different story.

    Also remember that if the Jets are officially out of the playoff hunt and Tebow comes in and wins the last 3 or 4 games it would make Rex look even more stupid for not making the change earlier. Plus we are locked into Sanchez for next year.
    There is something to be said for benching Sanchez because Sanchez is not living up to expectations (or maybe even his own talent.) I would start anybody over Sanchez right now because Sanchez keeps doing the same things wrong, let alone make other players on the team better. Both the team and Sanchez will get the message. This is a results oriented business. If you don;t get it done, someone else gets a chance.

    I would like a team where every player is held to that accountability level. IN the long run that philosophy will win far more football games than Mark Sanchez, or any other player, ever will.

  19. #39
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I heard this morning he could still earn like 1.5 mil more apparently. He has like 9 mil in hidden incentives which is maddening. Most of that is based off of 40% of our snaps though. At this point if they haven't started him I say yeah save the carry over till next year. What is the point we aren't making the POs.
    I sincerely doubt that. But I really do wonder about the dynamics of the Tebow Trade. Who was involved? Who pulled the trigger? What are the politics between Woody, Tanny, Rex and even Sanchez. This is like trying to figure out who was involved in any White House decision. We dont even know the smaller players.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 11-27-2012 at 04:15 PM.

  20. #40
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    I sincerely doubt that. But I really do wonder about the dynamics of the Tebow Trade. Who was involved? Who pulled the trigger? What are the politics between Woody, Tanny, Rex and even Sanchez. This is like trying to figure out who was involved in any White House decision. We dont even know the smaller players.
    The number is off. I believe the bonuses that could be unlocked were more in the range of $11.25 mil over the next 2 years if he played 55% of the snaps this year. $5 Mil in 2013 and $6.25 Mil in 2014.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us