Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alex Smith- 70% completion rating...benched

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    If we had a guy we drafted in the 2nd round with that much talent on the bench it would be a different story. Benching something for the sake of making a change is moronic. Sanchez is the best QB on the roster, end of story.
    Uh, any benching of Sanchez would not be for the sake of making a change. He has been AWFUL this year. not fair, not mediocre, pure awful. We have no clue if Sanchez is the best Qb on the team right now or not because the others have not been given game time.

I dare say 2-3 weeks ago Smith was 'the best QB on the roster' for the niners.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Except he was after Manning just like the Jets..
    Yes, and that is something I fully endorsed the Jets to do, unlike 3/4 of this forum that were dead set against it.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Only part of it is true. We don't have a guy that talented sitting on the bench, no question. The other implication he was making is false. Sanchez apologists would defend him to death still and insist he remain the starter no matter who was back there on the bench.
    but i dont thinh no one is defending sanchez....but he is the best QB on the jets right now...and rex still wants to win since there is a chance they could make the play offs( mathematical)...we all know tebow is not the answer...and Mcelroy maybe will play when there is 0 chance

If Harbough benched Smith after completing 70% of his passes. He would have executed Sanchez

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    That's the difference between an offensive-minded HC versus a defensive-minded HC.

You win today in the NFL with offense.
    This is the reality.

The defensive minded HCs with success are fortunate to have superstar QBs (BB, Tomlin, Fox).

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    This is the reality.

The defensive minded HCs with success are fortunate to have superstar QBs (BB, Tomlin, Fox).
    LOL, BB is one of the most offensive minded coaches in the league. People say he's overrated bc of Brady but the reality is BB makes more aggressive, intelligent in-game decisions than any coach in the game. His goal is to score, score, score and win, win win. BB is the closest the NFL has to chip kelly.

If I had to choose only one personnel swap for the entire offseason, it would be to get rid of Tebow (and maybe Sanchez) and acquire Alex Smith- even if the FO, coaching staff, and entire rest of the roster was the same as it is now.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    If I had to choose only one personnel swap for the entire offseason, it would be to get rid of Tebow (and maybe Sanchez) and acquire Alex Smith- even if the FO, coaching staff, and entire rest of the roster was the same as it is now.
    Have to think that Smith is not much better than Sanchez. Look at the Niners offense. They have arguably the bst O line in football. A TE that not only has Pro Bowl potential, he is a Pro Bowler. Elite RB. Deep WR corp. And look what they did in this year's draft, took a WR in the first round who isn't expected to do anything this year.

There are only a small handful of QBs that can elevate all the players around them. Most QBs need to have a slew of weapons around them. Look at Rivers. He was elite just a couple of seasons ago. Since then he has lost WRs, RBs, and OL and now he is being run out of SD.

This season has been coming and was easily foreseeable for quite some time. And I could understand if we had the Ravens D. But despite all the attention the defnse got, we still need huge upgrades at both OLBs and have to rely on Davis to man the middle. After this season, we will either have to overspend on both safety positions or we have two more holes to fill. So at least 5 new starters on D and we haven't even mentioned the offense.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Yes, and that is something I fully endorsed the Jets to do, unlike 3/4 of this forum that were dead set against it.
    I remember thinking, dang we must have some of the dumbest fans in the game.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Whether it was he saw in practice or what he saw in the one game Smith was out i don't think the Jets need to see Mcelroy "run" with the first unit to know what they have in him. The Jets went out and got stanton in the off-season to be Mark's backup. If they really liked what they had seen in Mcelroy why go out and get stanton?

But i am sure you are right and Mcelroy is going to be a stud.

I am sure you are right that the Jets are such QB geniuses

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Kaepernick wins games by making plays.

Smith doesn't lose games.

Our FO doesn't know the difference.

Kaepernick, btw, is going to be a stud barring injury.

Massive arm, 4.5 speed, 6'4", 230 lbs. (probably more like 240.)

And he's a down to earth, nice guy to boot

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Did either of you know that Kaepernick was going to play well enough to unseat a QB hitting 70% of his passes in the middle of a playoff run? Of course you didn't. You had to see him on the field first. We've seen Tebow play QB, but we haven't seen McElroy run with the first unit. So I don't automatically concede that Sanchez is the best QB on the roster.

Besides, it wouldn't be a move "just for the sake of making a change." It would be a move made because the starting QB is in the bottom-five of starting QBs in the NFL, and continues to make back-breaking mistakes in the middle of games to take his own team out of contention.

Do I think McElroy would be any better? No. But I'm a lot more interested to see how he'd perform under fire than I am to watch Sanchez eat ass (figuratively and literally) for another four quarters.
    The coaches see our QBs "on the field" everyday in practice. Harbaugh new what he had in capernick, and was playing him 15-20 snaps a day. Capernick made the most of his opportunities when he was brought into the game, and when the starting QB got hurt he played well.

Our coaches see that Tebow is trash, and McElroy is even worse. Tebow has made nothing of his opportunities on sunday and we've seen how horrible he was before.

I understand that Sanchez sucks, but unfortuntetly he sucks the least out of any QB on the roster, which is why he NEEDs to start. McElroy shouldn't even be on the roster and I expect him gone after the season.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    Would you want Smith as the Jets QB next year?
    Depends what my options are.

Is my only option Alex Smith or Mark Sanchez? If so, yes, I want Smith as the QB of the Jets next season. Smith did a lot with little at WR around him in 2011 in San Francisco. If the Jets could just find a lead back (Frank Gore is no record breaker), they could win a lot of games with the return of Revis, Holmes and the addition of Smith - at least I would hope so. Not 13 like San Francisco - not without an outside pass rush and the NFC West - but 11 games and competing for the AFC East. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    The coaches see our QBs "on the field" everyday in practice. Harbaugh new what he had in capernick, and was playing him 15-20 snaps a day. Capernick made the most of his opportunities when he was brought into the game, and when the starting QB got hurt he played well.

Our coaches see that Tebow is trash, and McElroy is even worse. Tebow has made nothing of his opportunities on sunday and we've seen how horrible he was before.

I understand that Sanchez sucks, but unfortuntetly he sucks the least out of any QB on the roster, which is why he NEEDs to start. McElroy shouldn't even be on the roster and I expect him gone after the season.
    The problem is that one can't say this about the Jets. We keep trotting out Scott, Eric smith etc etc who are terrible. this team has shown no desire to give other players a chance rather than the old guard. Also practice does not always equate to success.

They may look at McElroy and Tebow and Sanchez and see that Sanchez has the best arm by far but sooner or later you can't ignore his terrible accuracy and ghastly turnovers. They are still clinging to the faint hope of playoffs but if the jets get eliminated and they still refuse to play the other two at all they are flat out stupid.

All League
    Yesterday Harbaugh confirmed that CK will indeed start over Smith explaining they were "going with the hot hand". I wonder how well CK will perform after there is more game film of his tendencies/weaknesses...

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    49ers have an embarrassment of riches at QB. Their QBs are extremely well-coached.
    Not so much the former as the latter.