Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 143

Thread: Can the Jets run the table?

  1. #101
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, CA
    Posts
    8,266
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    First of all you're a Pats fan. I will not discuss the shortcomings or strengths of my team with a Pats fan. Go back to your own board and figure out how you're going to beat a bigtime passing team in the playoffs because that's your real problem right now, not Mark Sanchez.
    Exactly, and THIS is what we need to fix Billy.

  2. #102
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,668
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    I love the team which is why i dont want to stay pat and try to fix a sinking ship.

    Im ready to win soon, its been too long, and Mark(along with others) need to go before that can become a reality.

    Because of, not in spite of....think about it.
    Yeah but wholesale changes sometimes don't work out either. Sometimes you bring in a whole new crew and they do just as bad as the last guys that were there. I mean suppose the Jets fire Rex and bring in Andy Reid, well maybe Reid gets the Jets to the Superbowl and maybe he doesn't. Maybe you get rid of Sanchez, move up in the draft again and draft another QB and that QB has a whole set of other shortcomings Sanchez didn't have.

    The problem with the Jets has been TURNOVER... Too much TURNOVER... Not enough consistency in personnel. Tom Brady has the same recievers to throw to this year as last year and the year before. He has CONSISTENCY. Mark Sanchez has known nothing but TURNOVER since he's been here. That is not a recipe for success anywhere in life. The Jets need a few things fixed, they don't need a whole new engine, transmission, brakes, interior, paintjob, windows, and exhaust system...

  3. #103
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, CA
    Posts
    8,266
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Yeah but wholesale changes sometimes don't work out either. Sometimes you bring in a whole new crew and they do just as bad as the last guys that were there. I mean suppose the Jets fire Rex and bring in Andy Reid, well maybe Reid gets the Jets to the Superbowl and maybe he doesn't. Maybe you get rid of Sanchez, move up in the draft again and draft another QB and that QB has a whole set of other shortcomings Sanchez didn't have.

    The problem with the Jets has been TURNOVER... Too much TURNOVER... Not enough consistency in personnel. Tom Brady has the same recievers to throw to this year as last year and the year before. He has CONSISTENCY. Mark Sanchez has known nothing but TURNOVER since he's been here. That is not a recipe for success anywhere in life. The Jets need a few things fixed, they don't need a whole new engine, transmission, brakes, interior, paintjob, windows, and exhaust system...
    Sure you risk bringing in a QB that may not pan out....thats been the case what.....30 of the last 35 years? Doesnt mean you should accept an inferior player in some sort of hopes he may improve if he is surrounded with a teamload of talent. Thats in spite of, not because of.....

    It may just be we disagree on the best way to improve, and there is nothing wrong with that.

    FWIW, im not looking to clean house, but there is clearly some personnel and management(GM) issues with the team.

  4. #104
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    First of all you're a Pats fan. I will not discuss the shortcomings or strengths of my team with a Pats fan.
    There doesn't seem to be any shortage of Jets fans who think you've gone to plaid, so carry on.

  5. #105
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,668
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Sure you risk bringing in a QB that may not pan out....thats been the case what.....30 of the last 35 years? Doesnt mean you should accept an inferior player in some sort of hopes he may improve if he is surrounded with a teamload of talent. Thats in spite of, not because of.....

    It may just be we disagree on the best way to improve, and there is nothing wrong with that.

    FWIW, im not looking to clean house, but there is clearly some personnel and management(GM) issues with the team.
    The biggest problem with this GM is that he never leaves anything alone! Why didn't he bring Edwards back here? Why is Jericho Cotchery a Steeler right now? Why isn't Plaxico Burress on the roster? Why can't this man let the freakin' dust settle on this team long enough for people to get in a groove? The Patriots are in a groove. The Giants are in a groove. The Packers are in a groove. Why can't the Jets be in a groove??? Leave the team alone and let it get it's chemistry! Stop turning players over! Stop letting your solid dependable players leave! Very basic stuff, but this GM doesn't get it.

  6. #106
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,673
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Tom Brady has the same recievers to throw to this year as last year and the year before.
    Wrong.

  7. #107
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,668
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watching the Jets go about football decisions is like watching a successful band disintegrate because of personnel changes. You start with a great band that's doing well, then somebody decides to change the bass player and a certain amount of original chemistry is lost. Then you change the keyboard player. Then the rhythm guitarist. The the lead guitarist. Finally the singer. Now you wonder why the band doesn't play like it did before or sound like it did before...

    You've got to let a team develop it's chemistry and get in a groove... You can't have neverending lineup changes and turmoil and expect good results. That's what the Jets have done the last 4 years.

  8. #108
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,748
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol, Brady has had some of the biggest jag WR's in the game over the years and he and the pats have found a way to just kill teams another way. They have a great slot and great TE's right now.

    In any case I fully expect the Jets to go on a San Diego like roll at the end of the year, win 4 of 5 and like San diego and the Norv Turner era management and some fans will think they have 'turned the corner' when in reality they are just feasting on teams of lesser quality.

    The same crew will be back next year full of enthusiasm seeing Sanchez throw for over 60% in a game or two and have more tds than ints. See the defense shut a few teams down and see Greene run for over 100 in 3 out of the last 5.

    They will slap the blinders on, convince themselves areas of weakness do not need to be addressed and proceed to get killed to start the next year.

  9. #109
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,748
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Watching the Jets go about football decisions is like watching a successful band disintegrate because of personnel changes. You start with a great band that's doing well, then somebody decides to change the bass player and a certain amount of original chemistry is lost. Then you change the keyboard player. Then the rhythm guitarist. The the lead guitarist. Finally the singer. Now you wonder why the band doesn't play like it did before or sound like it did before...

    You've got to let a team develop it's chemistry and get in a groove... You can't have neverending lineup changes and turmoil and expect good results. That's what the Jets have done the last 4 years.
    The 1st thing you need in a good band is good players, and a good lead singer and good songwriters. Getting in a groove and keeping the band together when the drummer is aging, the lead guitarist makes a ton of mistakes and the songwriters know how to write Disco songs rather than hard rock songs is a mistake.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    The Jets have a very good defense and a weak offense. Put those two together and you get "average".
    This is where your premise falls apart. The Jets have a very average defense and one of the worst offenses in the league. Put them both together and you have a below average team that will finish out the season 6-10 or 7-9.

  11. #111
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Tom Brady has the same recievers to throw to this year as last year and the year before. He has CONSISTENCY.
    I don't think that Brady's ever had the same #1-#3 receivers for two years in a row. In fact, his entire career has seen a high turnover for his receiving corps, and most of the guys they brought in were "meh" with their other teams.

    At any rate, he won a SB with Troy Brown, David Patten, and Kevin Faulk as his top three receivers, and Antowain Smith as his #1 back. So stop making excuses.

  12. #112
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    I don't doubt Rex's ability to win out if he had a talented team
    Even if hell froze over and Sanchez played good football for 5 games they could still win out

    however, who is Sanchez throwing to? we have no receivers other than Kerley in the slot. that's why we won't win out
    Lets stop with the Suckchez excuse -making tour. If the loser would throw accurately his receivers would catch the ball. He almost always throws either high wide followed BT low left. He locks on to receivers so they have little chance to catch the ball. His arm is not quite strong and cb see where he is throwing to and jump the route. Yet all you see is no name receivers! BS. It's not the receivers who allow Sucky to have no pocket awareness. It's not their fault the bum fumbles when hit. But why not keep blaming the receivers to cover for our CFL-type QB? It sounds good but not too knowledgable IMO.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Go Jets!

  13. #113
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Well maybe, but these guys are all Patriots newbies who have no historical reference to their own team. They weren't there when the Patriots were a laughingstock franchise for years and years and years. They have no idea what it means to stick with your team through many many bad years. They have no historical perspective and no sense of empathy for Jets fans as a result. They're nothing but a bunch of frontrunning spoiled brats who would drop the Pats like a hot potato the first time they went 6-10. Did you hear them booing Brady up at Gillette a few weeks ago when the Jets were winning in the 4th? That's the kind of spoil brats the Patriots have for fans... Not a one of them can ever match up to Jets fans in the true fandom department. You don't just love your team when they win, you stick with them when they lose too. 94% of Pats fans will never understand that, and when their team finally does start losing you'll see tumbleweeds blowing across the 50 yard line at Gillette.
    I started watching football in the 50's. My first team was the Cleveland Browns, mostly because we were fed Giants games on the boob tube and I became hooked when I saw the greatest RB who ever played, Jim Brown.

    Then the AFL came to be and I was instantly a Boston Patriots fan. When the Jets and Chiefs finally shut the old line NFLers up by winning the SBs in 68 and 69, I was leaping up and down celebrating as hard as if I were a fan of those teams. They had been avoiding us for years, but now the AFL showed that they belonged.

    Thanks again Joe, Weeb, Lenny, Hank and all the rest of you. I still find myself grinning as I think about it even all these years later. You shut them up for good.

    I've seen every single one of the Pats highs and lows, and yes, they were the laughingstock at one time, specially early, but not for very long. Soon, from the mid 70s on (the 76 team might have been their greatest), they became a pretty good team overall, with trips to the SB in the 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s, including seven appearances and three wins. That's an overall record that could be argued as the best in the AFC or the NFL.

    All in all, they've been one hell of a team to be a fan of for over a half century.

  14. #114
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would just like to know why people would want to make the playoffs due to only beating **** teams and the certainty that Denver, New England or Baltimore would beat us by double digits in the Wild Card round. This would mean the same exact staff would be back next season and nothing would change again we would be an 8 or 9 win football team. Where is the joy in that? I just don't understand it.

  15. #115
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJF71 View Post
    Empathy? Why? Pats and Jets are enemies. We would all be talkin' **** if we ever won anything. I know we all did back in 2010 when we beat their ass in the playoffs. What sucks is we can only rejoice in the fact that the Pats are always good enough to lose to the Giants in the SB.

    All the Pats (or any team really) has to do is run the ball against the Giants. It's their weakest link and nobody seems to want to do anything but pass the ball and play into their strength, pass defense. Hopefully, the Pats get another shot at them this year and fix that pass-happy problem. They have the horses to do it too.

  16. #116
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    I would just like to know why people would want to make the playoffs due to only beating **** teams and the certainty that Denver, New England or Baltimore would beat us by double digits in the Wild Card round. This would mean the same exact staff would be back next season and nothing would change again we would be an 8 or 9 win football team. Where is the joy in that? I just don't understand it.
    My thoughts exactly. You would think the blind homer squad would have taken the blowout losses the hardest since they expected the opposite result to occur in those games (Jets blowing the other team out). Yet they are lining up for another one and then bringing back the entire cast of characters for more of the same next year.

    Some of us want to see the team improve and we need serious changes in the front office, coaching staff and player personnel for that. A meaningless playoff berth where we get smacked in the wildcard round probably brings about none of that. Also, let's be serious, if Roethlisberger didn't get hurt, nobody would even be making these threads because the Steelers would be coasting to the other wildcard spot. The conference is terrible right now outside of the top 4 teams. There will probably be 4 teams in the NFC this season that miss the playoffs that are without question better than us. Let billygreen and his buddies digest that....

  17. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post

    Soon, from the mid 70s on (the 76 team might have been their greatest), they became a pretty good team overall, with trips to the SB in the 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s, including seven appearances and three wins. That's an overall record that could be argued as the best in the AFC or the NFL.

    All in all, they've been one hell of a team to be a fan of for over a half century.
    Sugar Bear got screwed by Ben Dreith.

  18. #118
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    You must really be an old timer if you remember 1966-75 when the Jets were 17-2-1 against the Pats.

    The Pats made up the difference and just recently passed the Jets all time. Phew!

    One of the advantages of being so old is that we can sit back, relax, and bring back memories of Jim Brown, Gayle Sayers, Johnny U, Dick Butkis, man, I could go on and on.

    Those really were the good old days and I feel fortunate to have been a part of that wonderful era.

  19. #119
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,483
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. You would think the blind homer squad would have taken the blowout losses the hardest since they expected the opposite result to occur in those games (Jets blowing the other team out). Yet they are lining up for another one and then bringing back the entire cast of characters for more of the same next year.

    Some of us want to see the team improve and we need serious changes in the front office, coaching staff and player personnel for that. A meaningless playoff berth where we get smacked in the wildcard round probably brings about none of that. Also, let's be serious, if Roethlisberger didn't get hurt, nobody would even be making these threads because the Steelers would be coasting to the other wildcard spot. The conference is terrible right now outside of the top 4 teams. There will probably be 4 teams in the NFC this season that miss the playoffs that are without question better than us. Let billygreen and his buddies digest that....
    Because what will be is what will be.
    You or I have no say in what the next 5 weeks will bring. So, my choices are to watch the team & hope they play well & win for the next 5 weeks, otherwise it's even worse, watch the games while cheering against them & be mad because they win, lol.
    As a fan, I just can't do it.
    I'm also resigned to the fact that NFL teams don't BLOW THINGS UP like they used too.
    Fans have zero patience for 1-15 seasons.

  20. #120
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Sugar Bear got screwed by Ben Dreith.

    It took 25 years but...

    Free at last! Free at last! Thank Walt Coleman we're free at last!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us