Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Revis.

We don't need revis, we need a better offense (qb especially). If we improve the offense to even just top 15 and find a pass rusher off the edge this defense can be a defense on a 10+ win team even without revis.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    This.

I love Revis (as a player), but with so many holes to fill on the team, I'd almost rather get what we can for him and remove his salary from the books. He's becoming more trouble than he's worth.
    Only the Jets can manage to have the best player at the least important position (other than OL) to have the absolute best player. Think about it. Wouldn't you rather have the best S, LB, DL, RB, QB, TE, or WR? It's great that Revis takes away the other teams best WR. But the other teams just game plan knowing they will not throw at Revis, and good teams have options other than their best WR. Just consider the best players ever at each position. I'll take a crack at it:

S - Ronnie Lott
    LB - Lawrence Taylor
    DL - Reggie White
    RB - Jim Brown/Earl Campbell/Walter Payton (tough to choose)
    QB - Joe Montana (ties go to the guy with the most championships)
    TE - Kellen Winslow (IMO soon to be Gronk)
    WR - Jerry Rice
    CB - Deion Sanders (or Revis if you like).

If you're goal is to win a SB, you take the CB last. It's not a knock on the talent of the guy. Sander AND Revis are awesome. It's just that it is really difficult to effect the outcome of the game from the CB position. There are not a lot of options for what you can do. You cover a WR in man, you cover an area in zone, and on rare occasions you blitz. It is far to easy to eliminate a great CB by just not throwing his way.

Frankly, from the perspective of complying with the cap and building a team, the CB's ranked 3-10 are far more valuable than break-the-bank-to-pay-me Revis. I just don't think there is any way that the team with the highest paid CB in the NFL can compete. It is simply money which is not wisely spent.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I would only trade Revis for another player dominant at his position. Like Suh. But it's never gonna happen.
    Package deal: Revis and Sanchez for Ware and Ratliff. I can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Jets trade him for a 2nd and I'd be done with this team
    If they can get a medium to high 1 or two 2's I say do it...

but straight up Revis for a 2 - bad deal.

Hall Of Fame
    Only the Jets can manage to have the best player at the least important position (other than OL) to have the absolute best player. Think about it. Wouldn't you rather have the best S, LB, DL, RB, QB, TE, or WR? It's great that Revis takes away the other teams best WR. But the other teams just game plan knowing they will not throw at Revis, and good teams have options other than their best WR. Just consider the best players ever at each position. I'll take a crack at it:

S - Ronnie Lott
    LB - Lawrence Taylor
    DL - Reggie White
    RB - Jim Brown/Earl Campbell/Walter Payton (tough to choose)
    QB - Joe Montana (ties go to the guy with the most championships)
    TE - Kellen Winslow (IMO soon to be Gronk)
    WR - Jerry Rice
    CB - Deion Sanders (or Revis if you like).

If you're goal is to win a SB, you take the CB last. It's not a knock on the talent of the guy. Sander AND Revis are awesome. It's just that it is really difficult to effect the outcome of the game from the CB position. There are not a lot of options for what you can do. You cover a WR in man, you cover an area in zone, and on rare occasions you blitz. It is far to easy to eliminate a great CB by just not throwing his way.

Frankly, from the perspective of complying with the cap and building a team, the CB's ranked 3-10 are far more valuable than break-the-bank-to-pay-me Revis. I just don't think there is any way that the team with the highest paid CB in the NFL can compete. It is simply money which is not wisely spent.
    If you have a pass rush and a QB, you can overcome weakness at other positions.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Exactly, you build a dominant D in the front 7. While the Jets have at least picked some DL up in the last couple of drafts, their LB corp is simply too old and slow to impact the game.

Get him healthy and playing next season. Show everyone that he is back to his Revis form and then trade him before the deadline for picks. This guy only cares about himself and is not a leader. Paying this guy Brady money hurts this team more than helps. It will take 2-3 years, maybe more to rebuild this team. Trade his a$$.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Get him healthy and playing next season. Show everyone that he is back to his Revis form and then trade him before the deadline for picks. This guy only cares about himself and is not a leader. Paying this guy Brady money hurts this team more than helps. It will take 2-3 years, maybe more to rebuild this team. Trade his a$$.
    First, EVERY player only cares about himself, this is not something unique to Revis. Second, he will not get anything close to Brady money.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    but straight up Revis for a 2 - bad deal.
    Why is that?

He is a CB, not an impact player who can change a game.

See Sonny's post above, he nailed it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Why is that?

E
    G
    D

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Why is that?

It certainly hasn't seemed to hurt the Pats to jettison any CB who develops an over-developed sense of his own value. But then again, they've had Tom Brady.

Banned
    It certainly hasn't seemed to hurt the Pats to jettison any CB who develops an over-developed sense of his own value. But then again, they've had Tom Brady.
    True, I hated when the Pats unloaded Ty Law and Asante Samuel, but to your earlier point, the defensive front 7 is far more important than a CB. Hell, I'd rather have a monster safety than a CB.

True, I hated when the Pats unloaded Ty Law and Asante Samuel, but to your earlier point, the defensive front 7 is far more important than a CB. Hell, I'd rather have a monster safety than a CB.
    Exactly. Hopefully, the Jets "mind-trust" realizes this. Great CB play is a luxury item in the NFL. While it can be a nice final piece to the puzzle of a dominant D (like when Sanders went on his carpet-bagging tour after Atlanta), it is not a position you can build a D around. It may have been worth keeping Revis around when the Jets thought they had a shot at a SB, but not now. Far too many holes to fill at more important positions.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    agreed....when we had a pass rush.... No one talked about the DBs.

I still go back to my college days watching the sack exchange.

That was a terrific defense in many respects or was it average and clouded by a great front 4????

I am not a fan of a 3 4. D. with passing so prevalent...a 4 3 seems more needed.

Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    You have to place your self in the position of the other team. Why is a team going to trade picks for him during the season. That is giving Revis too much leverage in the negotiations or he walks an you get a 3rd rd comp pick the following year but only if you don't sign another premium player.

Then you have to consider that when a trade is made the remaining 6 mill of his unamortized bonus hit the cap. That means that the jets will need to go into the season 6 mil under the cap. Impossible giving the amount of FA the team has.

Revis has to be traded at the start of camp if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Jets trade him for a 2nd and I'd be done with this team
    What the eff are fans smoking?
    A TWO!
    For a player that was voted best defensive player in the league by his peers!
    The Dolphins got a 2 for that dude they sent to the Colts? Are u serious?

Without Revis wanting to get paid like a hedge fund manager teams would give up 2 ones for Revis!
    You take any team on the edge of winning a superbowl that has a pass rush & this dude changes the entire dynamic of that team!
    ACLs are not the death knell they used to be.
    If the Jets are serious about trading Revis, I would take nothing less than a 1 this year & a 2 & 4 next year.
    Do you realize how rare it is to be able to acquire a once in a lifetime corner?
    Our fans so underestimate this guys ability when it comes to compensation we want for a trade!
    Personally, I don't want to trade him anymore. I keep hoping that the Jets will luck into a pass rusher in this next draft, sign a FA LB have Davis step up & get some more speed in the 2nd level.
    With Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis all being really young, I still want to add some youth to the defense so we at least are potent on one side of the ball.

As much as I want to BLOW UP this roster, it just doesn't happen in the NFL anymore.
    You can't have an "expansion" team in NY.
    Jets will have to be right on with there decisions going forward & have a GREAT DRAFT.
    Getting crushed by the Patriots throws us all into turmoil but the Pats haver crushed many a team in the past, are averaging 37 points a game.
    Give them 5 turnovers, 2 for direct TDs & you get what u get on Thanksgiving night.

Remember what they did to both the Bears & the Titans in the snow?
    It hurts cause we hate that team so much & we all know that without Brady they are an average team like most in the NFL.

To me, to keep Revis or not is a really tough question. Any team would love to have Revis but he comes at a high price.

I guess the question is based on what it will cost you to sign Revis again, would you pay him what he's going to demand if he were a free agent? And before you answer that, you have to ask yourself, is he the missing piece that gets you to the next level.

That being said, top notch corners are hard to find and he's the best. Also, do other teams value him enough to take on his contract and trade first day picks like the Jets would want?

This would be a tough one if I were GM. He's almost too good to pass up but do you buy the Maybach and make your spouse take the bus (lol) or do you buy a couple of S series Mercedes and you both have a car?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post

As much as I want to BLOW UP this roster, it just doesn't happen in the NFL anymore.
    The Colts have 15 out of 22 new starters on offense and defense this year.

They are 7-4 and headed to the playoffs.

Yes, you can blow up rosters and be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    What the eff are fans smoking?
    A TWO!
    For a player that was voted best defensive player in the league by his peers!
    The Dolphins got a 2 for that dude they sent to the Colts? Are u serious?

Without Revis wanting to get paid like a hedge fund manager teams would give up 2 ones for Revis!
    You take any team on the edge of winning a superbowl that has a pass rush & this dude changes the entire dynamic of that team!
    ACLs are not the death knell they used to be.
    If the Jets are serious about trading Revis, I would take nothing less than a 1 this year & a 2 & 4 next year.
    Do you realize how rare it is to be able to acquire a once in a lifetime corner?
    Our fans so underestimate this guys ability when it comes to compensation we want for a trade!
    Personally, I don't want to trade him anymore. I keep hoping that the Jets will luck into a pass rusher in this next draft, sign a FA LB have Davis step up & get some more speed in the 2nd level.
    With Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis all being really young, I still want to add some youth to the defense so we at least are potent on one side of the ball.

You can't have an "expansion" team in NY.
    Jets will have to be right on with there decisions going forward & have a GREAT DRAFT.
    Getting crushed by the Patriots throws us all into turmoil but the Pats haver crushed many a team in the past, are averaging 37 points a game.
    Give them 5 turnovers, 2 for direct TDs & you get what u get on Thanksgiving night.

Remember what they did to both the Bears & the Titans in the snow?
    It hurts cause we hate that team so much & we all know that without Brady they are an average team like most in the NFL.
    The dolphins got a two for a very good starting CB that is making 1 mill a year.
    for the next two years. he can then be tagged for another year.

Revis will be a FA after one year of service and can not be tagged, Can you imagine giving up a 1st rd pick and he leaves after the year because some stupid team is willing to pay him 15 mill and your not.

This year Talib, Grimes, rogers cromarte, Jenkins, Jammer, Cary Williams, Woodson are all FA corners- while none of them is Revis- none of them will cost you a #1 to rent for a year, or take up 12% of your cap if he chooses to stay.

Plus his trade market is limited to teams that are willing to pay a non qb, qb type money and have 12 mill of extra cap room hanging around. Every team would love to have Revis, but at what cost to the new team. plus if a team runs a cover two or any zone, Revis would be a waste.
    Last edited by patman; 11-28-2012 at 10:20 AM.

All Pro
    Why is that?

How much better would the Pats D be with Revis. How much did BB love Ty Law?

If he's not worth a one, why would you ever draft a CB in the first round.

I wouldn't trade him for a 2, if you let him leave in FA, Jet's will get a 3 as compensation anyway.