Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Revis.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Best ever???? I get it but Id like to see a few more years. 2008-2011 ?

Crazy as it sounds, I remember watching the sack exchange and thinking how awesome it was having Gastineau. revis is top 3 to 5 but I am not ready to annoint him number 1. I will not debate it as he is "pretty good" as rex would say.

He was a pure game changer. Yes he screwed it up... but

Revis may be top 3-5 now. Ever? No chance. Again, I say, look at the names in the HOF at DB.
    As far as trade. His salary is a killer. Plus is he damaged goods or not? Has he started rehab? Reports on his progress? I remember Jerry Rice years ago when injured. There seemed to be updates on him. Of course he worked like an animal to rehab becauise HE WAS the GOAT.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post

How many of the recent superbowl winners had a top 5 CB? Exactly.

People need to understand that an elite CB is a luxury and not a necessity. Would Revis be nice to keep? Sure. Do we NEED him? lol, no. You know what we need? A pass-rush, a Dline that doesn't get their asses blown off the line, LBs that can beat my grandmother in a 40-yard dash, and a coach that can teach all of these guys how to wrap a guy up instead of arm-tackling.

If we were a winning franchise with a solid team built up, Revis would be a luxury we could afford. But, unfortunately, we're not. We, my friends, are a team that has got to rebuild and cannot afford to throw an insane amount of money at a CB (especially one that will want a new deal/more money every other year).
    charles woodson

Best ever? Maybe if he has longevity.

His technique is flawless. That much I've got to say. It's difficult to say anyone else's is better because I don't see a weakness in Revis's technique.

I think it comes down to

1) Has anyone played who has as good a technique but is more of a playmaker (Deion maybe?)

2) Has anyone played longer at as high a level? A few can make that claim.

I think this is a case where you have to make the call at the end of the career.

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Best ever? Maybe if he has longevity.

His technique is flawless. That much I've got to say. It's difficult to say anyone else's is better because I don't see a weakness in Revis's technique.

I think it comes down to

1) Has anyone played who has as good a technique but is more of a playmaker (Deion maybe?)

2) Has anyone played longer at as high a level? A few can make that claim.

I think this is a case where you have to make the call at the end of the career.

I would put him at best ever although it's debatable.

Deion was more of a playmaker but Revis is an EXCELLENT tackler and that's a big part of the game. Deion wasn't close to the tackler that Revis is.

Either way, it's a bad practice to trade a hall of fame player... I've thought about moving him too because he holds a ton of value, but he's still a hall of fame player and it's not a good thing to move them off your team.

Revis leaves via FA and JEts would get a 3rd rder comp pick - so no need to deal him unless its a 1st rder IMO.

Yes the Colts turned it around but they have what the Jets haven't for 40 yrs....franchise QB makes all the difference.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    The Colts have 15 out of 22 new starters on offense and defense this year.

They are 7-4 and headed to the playoffs.

Yes, you can blow up rosters and be successful.
    Really, they can't blow up the roster after this year, due to the contracts. After next year they can explode it, as many players become far more movable.

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningNagle View Post
    Revis leaves via FA and JEts would get a 3rd rder comp pick - so no need to deal him unless its a 1st rder IMO.

Yes the Colts turned it around but they have what the Jets haven't for 40 yrs....franchise QB makes all the difference.
    No, the jets do not get a third rd pick. think about it! In 2014 season after Revis opts out the jets are 60 mill under the cap. Are they going to sign a FA with some of that money? you bet. remember comp draft picks are awarded by on value lost value gained during FA. Revis if he leaves will probably be replaced by at least 20 mill of other teams FA. If the jets only use that money to sign FA that were cut by the old team, then that signing does not countract losing Revis. It is not cut and dried.

The Colts have 15 out of 22 new starters on offense and defense this year.

They are 7-4 and headed to the playoffs.

Yes, you can blow up rosters and be successful.
    They didn't blow anything up, they traded Payton, knowing they could get Luck. That was much easier for the fans to swallow!
    Plus they were coming off a 1-15 season.
    They kept Reggie Wayne, Mathis, Freeny.
    The only thing keeping them in the playoff hunt this year is they're (1-15 schedule)& the crappy division they play in.
    Totally different scenario than the Jets are dealing with.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    They didn't blow anything up, they traded Payton, knowing they could get Luck. That was much easier for the fans to swallow!
    Plus they were coming off a 1-15 season.
    They kept Reggie Wayne, Mathis, Freeny.
    The only thing keeping them in the playoff hunt this year is they're (1-15 schedule)& the crappy division they play in.
    Totally different scenario than the Jets are dealing with.
    They replaced 68% of starters on offense and defense. That is blowing up a team.

And the Colts have the exact same schedule as the Texans except for two games.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Revis may be top 3-5 now. Ever? No chance. Again, I say, look at the names in the HOF at DB.
    As far as trade. His salary is a killer. Plus is he damaged goods or not? Has he started rehab? Reports on his progress? I remember Jerry Rice years ago when injured. There seemed to be updates on him. Of course he worked like an animal to rehab becauise HE WAS the GOAT.
    Revis is not damaged goods.
    He plays technique better than any corner EVER! Remember that Revis is playing in a new league where you can't even BREATH on receivers without a flag being thrown.
    Dion played at a time when DBs were constantly tugging & he was one of the best at it.
    He was so quick with it the Refs barely noticed but on replay Dion was always grabbing & tugging.
    Revis doesn't just use his athletic ability. He's strong as hell too. You put out the word that Revis could be on the block & suitors will be sniffing around.
    What would we have traded to get Demarcus Ware?
    If we already had a franchise QB.

They replaced 68% of starters on offense and defense. That is blowing up a team.

And the Colts have the exact same schedule as the Texans except for two games.
    They were 1-15. I'm trying to figure out how you BLOW UP a team that was 1-15?
    They kept Freeney, Mathis, & Wayne too.
    So they blew up what exactly?

It's simple really. If Revis is willing to take a deal worth 12 million a year (unlikely) you keep him and trade Cro. If he's looking for 15-16 million a year then you trade him.

Banned
    They were 1-15. I'm trying to figure out how you BLOW UP a team that was 1-15?
    They kept Freeney, Mathis, & Wayne too.
    So they blew up what exactly?
    What do you call having 15 new starters on offense and defense?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Jets trade him for a 2nd and I'd be done with this team
    This!!

Revis is not damaged goods.
    He plays technique better than any corner EVER! Remember that Revis is playing in a new league where you can't even BREATH on receivers without a flag being thrown.
    Dion played at a time when DBs were constantly tugging & he was one of the best at it.
    He was so quick with it the Refs barely noticed but on replay Dion was always grabbing & tugging.
    Revis doesn't just use his athletic ability. He's strong as hell too. You put out the word that Revis could be on the block & suitors will be sniffing around.
    What would we have traded to get Demarcus Ware?
    If we already had a franchise QB.

He has a reconstucted KNEE. YOU know he is not damaged goods? Are you a physician? He is damaged until proven otherwise. Do you wnat to take $15=20MIL out of YOIUR pocket to guess?
    EVER? How long have you been watching CBs cover WRs. When you get to over 50 years and you get on the field with some of the best college WRs/CBs ever let me know.
    Again. Revis has NEVER even been DPOY.
    Next we'll hear that Shonn Greene is on par with Barry Sanders. A lot of people here had Sanchez in the Hall. Get real people. Get a perspective. Stop being a teenager with a crush.
    Revis is pretty good. There is debate if he's even the best CB now. There is not a Jet who is a top 20 all time at his position except Revis. Maybe not a top 50 all time.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    charles woodson
    To go along with an Elite QB in Aaron Rodgers, a great cast of receivers in Jennings, Finley (before he lost his hands), and Nelson. Oh, as well as a pass-rush in Clay Matthews.

Get off my dick, breh.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

After season ending ACL surgery?

Not for value.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    To go along with an Elite QB in Aaron Rodgers, a great cast of receivers in Jennings, Finley (before he lost his hands), and Nelson. Oh, as well as a pass-rush in Clay Matthews.

Get off my dick, breh.
    Breh?

What the hell is that?
    Anyway, you asked the question. I simply answered.

if revis was signed for 4 more years at 10 mill a year, the jets could easily get a mid 1st and a 3rd. or a lower 1st and a 2nd. He is an all pro and I think there are 1/2 dozen teams that would do that trade. Even coming of the ACL

But that is not the situation the jets or revis are in. Your not going to get value for a player coming off an ACL and who will be a FA after the end of the year. Some ACL injuries take longer than a year for the guy to get back to full speed, I don't mean back on the field, but 100%,

To think that a team will rent him for a year and give up premium picks is quite a stretch. And as far as the new team signing him before he can test the market, It will require a 5 year 75 mill deal with 1/2 up front. I dont even seeing him getting that unless he has some leverage.

At least with the jets, he has sign me or when I opt out you get a 6mill cap hit for nothing, and the team needs someone to help it market itself.

Thinking completely out of the box, the jets may be better off if he does not come back 100% next year then his best value will be to finish out the last two years of his contract for less than 13 mill total for '14 and '15.
    Last edited by patman; 11-28-2012 at 04:58 PM.