Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NHL Lockout

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

NHL Lockout

How are you all enjoying the NHL Season so far?

It's great, the Islanders are still undefeated. Best season for them in years.

But seriously, has anyone heard anything? Progress? Will there be a season? Is it best to check Canadian sports sites for news?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they are using a federally appointed mediator. Not that it means anything.

You had to know it was headed to this when the players hired Fehr. It is a shame for Bettman b.c he was becoming the best commissioner in all of sports with the resurgence of the NHL after the last lockout. I think that he and the owners are taking a huge hit here no matter who is at fault.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don Unfair

Destroyed the US national pastime

Now doing the same to.Canada

Only solution

Lock them out until a majority of the players are so broke that they rise up and sh1tcan this stinking pariah

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's already December; even if they agreed today how quickly do they think they can really resume, a couple of weeks?

I guess it really doesn't matter, the regular season really doesn't mean anything in the NHL whatsoever, it's all the playoffs.

But frankly I think a lot of people are finding better ways to spend their time without hockey, and they are in real danger of no one really giving a **** if they cancel the whole season or not.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    It's already December; even if they agreed today how quickly do they think they can really resume, a couple of weeks?

I guess it really doesn't matter, the regular season really doesn't mean anything in the NHL whatsoever, it's all the playoffs.

But frankly I think a lot of people are finding better ways to spend their time without hockey, and they are in real danger of no one really giving a **** if they cancel the whole season or not.
    They can start it up really quickly. Especially when money is involved. The quality of hockey would be terrible for a month or whatever but its hockey.

The mediation isnt going to work. They will pretend they are negotiating in good faith, sit through the mediation and then go back to doing ****.

Its a shame. Fehr is prepared to let the season (and next season) go to waste because he has done a good job of running a smear campaign to make the owners evil. He just had reports out saying the NHL didnt want the Operation Hat trick game on NBC because you know....the NHL hates charity.

Anyway, this mediation is a necessary step for union de-certification which you would remember from the NFL lock out. If they decide to de-certify, then the season is done and youre realistically looking into the lock out effecting the 2013-2014 season which is a death kneel for me. I love the Rangers but I cant deal with thi....nevermind, Im stupid. Ill run back to the league.

Im really feed up with the players union as a whole. Their plan isnt good for long term NHL growth. The only plus towards them is they are negotiating with a group thats known for being huge liars to its fans. 2 WORK STOPPAGES IN A DECADE?!??! So, so frustrating.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post

The 94-95 lockout season ended on Jan. 11 and the season started 9 days later. Something like this is the most likely scenario if we are going to see hockey this season at the rate they are going. The cancellation of the 04-05 season was mid Februrary. I haven't lost hope, but if Feb. 1 rolls around with a deal we can pretty much assume there will be no season. It's all a joke.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please for the love of god, let there be hockey. At least there are some good expectations with my Rangers. I vowed in 2005 I'd never come back but I did. They all come back.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Don Unfair

Destroyed the US national pastime

Now doing the same to.Canada

Only solution

Lock them out until a majority of the players are so broke that they rise up and sh1tcan this stinking pariah

The only person destroying anything is Gary Bettmann and his 3rd work stoppage in 18 years.

That's what happens when you have a commissioner who didn't grow up loving and breathing the sport he is in control of and feigns his appreciation for the game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    The only person destroying anything is Gary Bettmann and his 3rd work stoppage in 18 years.

That's what happens when you have a commissioner who didn't grow up loving and breathing the sport he is in control of and feigns his appreciation for the game.
    This.

I don't know if the NHL owners understand that no one seems to care that there is no hockey outside of the diehards. The NHL was the #4 major US sports interest before the lockout...the owner's lockout will prove to be a horrible business decision. What I don't understand is why the owners asking for give backs and reductions are the very same owners awarding 10 year player contracts worth tens of millions just a few months ago. WTF

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard the players are to meet with the owners, without the players reps and owners reps.

Maybe something will finally get done.

From tsn.ca-

Six NHL owners and 18 players, including Sidney Crosby and Jonathan Toews, will sit down together today to continue labour talks in New York City beginning at about 2pm et.

The NHLPA confirmed the list of players who will be present, including Craig Adams, David Backes, Michael Cammalleri, Crosby, B.J. Crombeen, Mathieu Darche, Shane Doan, Ron Hainsey, Shawn Horcoff, Jamal Mayers, Manny Malhotra, Andy McDonald, Ryan Miller, George Parros, Brad Richards, Martin St. Louis, Toews and Kevin Westgarth.

Six owners will represent the league at the meeting, including Jeremy Jacobs of the Boston Bruins, Ronald Burkle of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Mark Chipman of the Winnipeg Jets, Jeffery Vinik of the Tampa Bay Lightning, Murray Edwards of the Calgary Flames and Larry Tanenbaum of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The sides have agreed to meeting without most of their representatives. The Players' Association requested that a staff member from each side be present for the meeting. NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly will attend, but it is not yet known who the NHLPA will have on hand to represent them.

Commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr will not be involved.

The lockout entered its 80th day on Tuesday and games have been cancelled through Dec. 14. It's believed that another round of game cancellations could be announced at some point this week.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's gloomy to think about ... I really miss going to the Rock.

I have a couple of Friends that want to go to Connecticut for some hockey ... but i'd rather just go visit my friend in Toronto. I miss hockey

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gata View Post

I have a couple of Friends that want to go to Connecticut for some hockey ... but i'd rather just go visit my friend in Toronto. I miss hockey
    Bridgeport and Hartford have AHL. At least I think Bridgeport still does.

Check out college hockey if there's any around you. Tickets are usually like $8.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gata View Post

Same here, greedy SOB owners are screwing things up... this is the time of year to get going on hockey and not many years left for Marty....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good news about the players-owners only meetings.
    If they can get that grandstanding self promoting turd Fehr away long enough they csn settle this thing

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    This.

I don't know if the NHL owners understand that no one seems to care that there is no hockey outside of the diehards. The NHL was the #4 major US sports interest before the lockout...the owner's lockout will prove to be a horrible business decision. What I don't understand is why the owners asking for give backs and reductions are the very same owners awarding 10 year player contracts worth tens of millions just a few months ago. WTF
    Youíre right, no one but the diehards care about the NHL. It is, and will always be a fringe sport in the U.S.
    This lockout is all about re-doing the NHL business model because the expansion plan that was initiated by Bettman 10 yrs ago, simply hasnít worked out financially.
    As for the contracts handed out like candy, the owners never planned on honoring them anyway.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Same here, greedy SOB owners are screwing things up... this is the time of year to get going on hockey and not many years left for Marty....
    Yes, it's all about Marty.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Good news about the players-owners only meetings.
    If they can get that grandstanding self promoting turd Fehr away long enough they csn settle this thing

Your obsession with Fehr is amusing. He's simply not bending over for Bettman like others have done in the past.

Bettman is the biggest problem. He needs to go.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Your obsession with Fehr is amusing. He's simply not bending over for Bettman like others have done in the past.

Bettman is the biggest problem. He needs to go.
    Your obsession with Bettman is amusing. He's simply not bending over for Fehr as Selig and MLB have done in the past.

Fehr is the biggest problem. He needs to go