Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vontaze Burfict

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Guys he didn't produce on the field the season before his draft, got into fights with the coaching staff at AZ that season, and then topped it off with poor interviews and a 40 time that was slower than some of the slower OL/DL. He showed up out of shape/overweight for what amounts to an interview (the combine), that is indicative of work ethic. I'm happy he's doing well, it's nice to see a guy turn it around. But let's not pretend that he was some sort of wonderful guy who got unfairly judged during the draft process. He brought that upon himself.
    Listen Im not killing the Jets for not taking him, I wanted him because I saw that he bought an intensity to the field the jets were lacking on top of him being a decent prospect. But to say he didn't produce on the field his Junior year is ludacris. Was it what most people were expecting? No because they set the bar high for this kid, but he still performed fairly well, including going from no sacks to 5 total on an ASU team that quite franly wasnt that good.

Won't get into the combine because thats just opening pandoras box and I know we all agree that the combine isnt indicative of how all players will perform.

It was a case of teams not putting enough stock in the game film, and letting the combine numbers/off-the field issues overshadow what the guy really is: a football player.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    It was a case of teams not putting enough stock in the game film, and letting the combine numbers/off-the field issues overshadow what the guy really is: a football player.
    Or it could be that he was an ineffective headcase his last year at school.