Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vontaze Burfict

Vontaze Burfict

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/10/2...-rookie-tackle

Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict is on pace to break a 36-year old franchise rookie record.
    Share on Facebook
    Share on Twitter

Did you know that the National Football League doesn't view tackles as an official statistic. It's true. Even though they're listed at NFL.com's statistical page, nothing more than a compilation of the NFL.com's Game Book which is generated in real-time, the tackling numbers aren't a very reliable source for a given players official tackles. It's why you see several entities provide differing statistics, some using the Game Books, others using their own numbers describing tackles.
    Most teams accumulate their own numbers, including the Cincinnati Bengals while fans and the media often use "press box" statistics.
    For example NFL.com has outside linebacker Vontaze Burfict generating 48 tackles this season. Yet the coaching staff reportedly has Burfict making 62 tackles this year, including 16 against the Pittsburgh Steelers last Sunday Night. We're not exactly sure why the massive difference, other than those tackles made during obstructive piles that requires replay to adjust.
    That being said, Burfict's pace of 120 tackles this year will break the franchise rookie record of 106 tackles set by Reggie Williams in 1976.
    Joe Reedy with the Cincinnati Enquirer wrote a great piece on Burfict over the weekend, how far he's come and the impact Marvin Lewis has had on the rookie linebacker.
    Good for Burfict going from top prospect to undrafted and then back to top prospect. I really liked him at one point and thought we should have drafted him in the 2nd (would have helped our lb situation) but then soured on him after listening to all those stupid analysts talk about his problems, ALL OF WHICH were way overblown about how he was crazy. It's a good story, good for him.

Hall Of Fame
    Good for him. I guess he is finally starting to get it. Very talented kid who lost his way for a while.

I can't kill the Jets for not picking him. He was a train wreck last year. And if he was here, he would not be having the same success, that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/10/2...-rookie-tackle

Good for Burfict going from top prospect to undrafted and then back to top prospect. I really liked him at one point and thought we should have drafted him in the 2nd (would have helped our lb situation) but then soured on him after listening to all those stupid analysts talk about his problems, ALL OF WHICH were way overblown about how he was crazy. It's a good story, good for him.
    Number of tackles means very little in the NFL.

During years where we were garbage against the run, our linebackers were leading the NFL in tackles when it was clear that they sucked.

Burfict wasn't dropping primarily because he was crazy, it was because the guy has ZERO hips and doesn't have NFL quickness.

RIght now he's your typical adequate at times starter... He's not a significant factor so it's not worth praising him much.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

During years where we were garbage against the run, our linebackers were leading the NFL in tackles when it was clear that they sucked.

Burfict wasn't dropping primarily because he was crazy, it was because the guy has ZERO hips and doesn't have NFL quickness.

RIght now he's your typical adequate at times starter... He's not a significant factor so it's not worth praising him much.
    He did pick off Tebow on a great play.

Just sayin.

Burfict's been pretty good.

But he's not Kuechly. That guy's everywhere.

So is Laurenitis.

Good for him.

The guy was unfairly criticized for his tendency to get a little crazy on the field and for not having a good 40 time in shorts and a air tight tank top. This is why I hate the NFL Combine.

"Adequate at times starter." If the jets had an UDFA with 75+ tackles this board would have put him in the HOF of fame, but hes on the bengals so hes nothing.

Tackles are also not a great stat if you are a safety as they are more indicative of your LBs being poor, but for you to discount tackles for a 4-3 OLB is simply incorrect. Are they as important as sacks, no, but they certainly are indicative of how a player is doing. Ask bart scott if tackles are important.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Good for him.

The guy was unfairly criticized for his tendency to get a little crazy on the field and for not having a good 40 time in shorts and a air tight tank top. This is why I hate the NFL Combine.
    Didn't they make the same judgement on another Arizona State guy about 8-9 years ago, a player named Terrell Suggs?

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Didn't they make the same judgement on another Arizona State guy about 8-9 years ago, a player named Terrell Suggs?
    Haha, I was thinking about adding that into my original post but I don't think Burfict will be as good as Suggs so I left it out, but good point.

Haha, I was thinking about adding that into my original post but I don't think Burfict will be as good as Suggs so I left it out, but good point.
    I agree with you....combine seems way overdone. I would only focus on the personal interview part, and not worry about the "track meet" stuff. That's what you have individual workouts and scouts for.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Burfict's been pretty good.

But he's not Kuechly. That guy's everywhere.

So is Laurenitis.
    No one is saying he is as good as those guys. Those guys were first and second round draft picks respectively. Burfict was an UDFA.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    "Adequate at times starter." If the jets had an UDFA with 75+ tackles this board would have put him in the HOF of fame, but hes on the bengals so hes nothing.

Tackles are also not a great stat if you are a safety as they are more indicative of your LBs being poor, but for you to discount tackles for a 4-3 OLB is simply incorrect. Are they as important as sacks, no, but they certainly are indicative of how a player is doing. Ask bart scott if tackles are important.
    So true, we have people here who put practice squad guys in the HOF, I can only imagine if an UDFA like Burfict was on this team.

On a side note about the Bengals, IF Revis were to ever be traded, I wouldnt be surprised if the Bengals make a run. They have some extra picks from the Palmer trade and are around 45 million under the cap next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Good for him.

How convenient to fail to mention the fact that he didn't produce on the field at all last year.

Good for him.

He was fairly criticized for being crazy both on and off the field. I don't think you can say he dropped just because of the combine. And note that *no* team took him in *any* round - so it was a pretty unanimous verdict.

I'm happy for him that he's playing good football now. One possibility is that he has some psychological issue, which is either in remission or is being treated now.

Guys he didn't produce on the field the season before his draft, got into fights with the coaching staff at AZ that season, and then topped it off with poor interviews and a 40 time that was slower than some of the slower OL/DL. He showed up out of shape/overweight for what amounts to an interview (the combine), that is indicative of work ethic. I'm happy he's doing well, it's nice to see a guy turn it around. But let's not pretend that he was some sort of wonderful guy who got unfairly judged during the draft process. He brought that upon himself.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Guys he didn't produce on the field the season before his draft, got into fights with the coaching staff at AZ that season, and then topped it off with poor interviews and a 40 time that was slower than some of the slower OL/DL. He showed up out of shape/overweight for what amounts to an interview (the combine), that is indicative of work ethic. I'm happy he's doing well, it's nice to see a guy turn it around. But let's not pretend that he was some sort of wonderful guy who got unfairly judged during the draft process. He brought that upon himself.
    Really all that needs to be said.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4703644]Good for him. I guess he is finally starting to get it. Very talented kid who lost his way for a while.

I can't kill the Jets for not picking him. He was a train wreck last year. And if he was here, he would not be having the same success, that is for sure.[/QUOTE]

This 100%

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Nice job!!

If you watch him play, he has been very good for the Bengals. We definitely should have drafted him late. I said it many times. Chalk it up as another Jets draft blunder.

The guy is an animal and probably crazy but as I posted way back the wife's (a shrink) ARMCHAIR analysis, based on articles and my descriptions was that aderall probably would have put him on an even keel.

I think DDNY was lobbying for him too. Not saying it was a Jet's mistake not to draft him, but he was picked up after the draft for practice squad money. Couldn't have hurt to take a chance.