Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it Possible Trade for Matt Flynn?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

My guess is the Jets head into the draft without signing a FA QB. If they draft a QB early, they'll let the rookie and Sanchez battle it out. Worst case, Sanchez wins the job, while the rookie has a year to groom on the bench for 2014.

If they dont draft a QB, I'd see an early summer scrap heap QB signed on a 1 year deal to give Sanchez competition. Winner is the QB for 2013, and the Jets reassess their QB in 2014 when they finally have the cap room.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    The upcoming draft may not have a QB who has franchise QB talent. After the Jets release Tebow they will have to quell the fanbase an have a tangible replacement for the last year of Sanchez. You have to have someone who can compete and possibly challenge Sanchez for the starter role. There are probably a handful of possible candidates but Flynn probably represents the best long term prospect of a Franchise QB.

So who do we trade for him? It can't be draft picks as we've done that too many times and is partly the reason we lack talent and depth at key positions now. We really don't have anyone on Offense that we can trade. I wish Keller had a year left because he could be a possible trade bait. On the defensive side the only person they may want to sniff is maybe Revis, but he's coming off an injury and they have a solid group of young CB's. Perhaps a Harris trade at the MLB spot would do it, but they have a young guy there as well.

So outside of draft picks who do you think we could trade to get him outside of draft picks.

Green Bay - Quarterback Matt Flynn's new contract with the Seattle Seahawks is worth just about 15 times more than his old one with the Green Bay Packers.

His three-year, $19.5 million deal with Seattle averages $6.5M. The four-year contract that he signed with the Packers as a seventh-round draft choice in 2008 averaged $442,294.

Flynn received a $6M signing bonus and base salaries of $2M this season, $5.25M in 2013 and $6.25M in 2014. His base salary is guaranteed this season, and $2 million of his base salary in '13 also is guaranteed.

The total guaranteed money is $10M.

Flynn's contract also contains escalator clauses in 2013 and '14 that reportedly could increase the total value of the contract by another $5M.
    See, this is the guy I had hoped the Jets would go out and get last offseason. Can anyone imagine what the Jets FO was thinking when they traded for Tim Tebow? They must have been thinking about a guy that could possibly replace what Brad Smith brought to the table. That's what I thought at the time.

However, they could not have been giving any consideration to using Tebow as a potential replacement for Sanchez.

That's what Drew Stanton was for.

But it all blew up in their faces when after signing Tim Tebow, Drew Stanton immediately asked for his release.

So in going back over what the thoughts of this board was last offseason:

1)The Jets should go after Matt Flynn or Drew Stanton. Either guy IMO are suitable replacements, guys that can provide LEGITIMATE competition for Sanchez. Not just some guy who can fill the roster spot but will never present any real competition for Sanchez.

2)They must draft a QB. I know it would be hard to find a perceived franchise QB, but I think that Matt Barkley fills that category. The way the team is losing these days, it wouldn't surporise me at all if Barkley is within reach for the Jets in the 1st round next April. The Jets appear to be on there way to getting a top 10 pick.

It's time to get this position ironed out once and for all.

Options:

Trade for Flynn (unlikely unless Sanchez part of deal and why would Seattle want him)
    Trade for Alex Smith (if available, but way too many variables surrounding this at the moment, also unlikely unless Sanchez part of deal and why would Niners want him)
    Sign Matt Moore (decent idea, he might not be super-cheap though)
    Sign Jason Campbell (unsure if FA)
    Sign someone worse than the above two (most likely, a complete JAG that is not a big threat to Mark's job)

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Options:

Trade for Flynn (unlikely unless Sanchez part of deal and why would Seattle want him)
    Trade for Alex Smith (if available, but way too many variables surrounding this at the moment, also unlikely unless Sanchez part of deal and why would Niners want him)
    Sign Matt Moore (decent idea, he might not be super-cheap though)
    Sign Jason Campbell (unsure if FA)
    Sign someone worse than the above two (most likely, a complete JAG that is not a big threat to Mark's job)
    See my explanation in thread B4 this.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    My guess is the Jets head into the draft without signing a FA QB. If they draft a QB early, they'll let the rookie and Sanchez battle it out. Worst case, Sanchez wins the job, while the rookie has a year to groom on the bench for 2014.

If they dont draft a QB, I'd see an early summer scrap heap QB signed on a 1 year deal to give Sanchez competition. Winner is the QB for 2013, and the Jets reassess their QB in 2014 when they finally have the cap room.
    I think this is likely as well.

There are too many holes to fill on this team to be trading draft picks and it's not like we have much to trade that is of any value.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    I think this is likely as well.

There are too many holes to fill on this team to be trading draft picks and it's not like we have much to trade that is of any value.
    Exactly. With the $$$ already invested in the QB position with Sanchez's contract, along with all the other holes the team will have to fill, I dont see them putting more money into QB next year. While finding a qb is a high priority, they're stuck in a bad place until Sanchez's money comes off the books.

Jets Insider VIP
    So you would waste cap space bringing in matt moore and make Sanchez your 3rd string QB? Brilliant.
    Matt Moore will not command much money and with the rookie wage scale, we will not be spending much on our 1st round qb pick. Sanchez is poison and needs to be the 3rd string qb next year.

You need to upgrade the position. A rookie to compete with Sanchez is not the answer. Matt Moore is along with that rookie.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    +1

where are we finding the room for his $5.25 base in 2013? The Jets are going to have to find a veteran QB from the league min scrap heap to come in and compete with Sanchez
    Maybe we can sign Drew Stanton as a FA when his contract with the Colts expires...

Hey, he has to be keen to sign with a quality operation with a questionable starter knowing that we won't screw him around, right?!?

1) Matt Flynn is not good.

2) Sanchez and Tebow are both locked in the next 2-3 years as 1 and 2 on our depth chart.

Flynn is a checkdown artist. I don't care that he threw for big yardage against a crappy New England defense. Prior to last Thursday's meltdown Sanchez had some excellent games against the Pats too. Oh and we'd have to give up draft picks which we desperately need to rebuild the offense.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 11-28-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Matt Moore will not command much money and with the rookie wage scale, we will not be spending much on our 1st round qb pick. Sanchez is poison and needs to be the 3rd string qb next year.

You need to upgrade the position. A rookie to compete with Sanchez is not the answer. Matt Moore is along with that rookie.
    Matt Moore is the savior? He's only been ok at certain points when he's subbed in for an injured starter. When he's been counted on to be the starter for any significant period of time he shat the bed.

Why? Defenses had a chance to look at him on tape for a full off-season and he crumbled under pressure. Not saying Sanchez is great but Moore would make you miss Sanchez he would be that bad for us as our starter next season.

The only QB I'd like to see us trade for is Colt McCoy. He'd be less then a mil in cap, is young, and did more then Sanchez with much less. I still say Cleveland is pretty stupid for not starting him this year. New person calling the shots so maybe they try to clean house. You can keep the trade for Moore, Flynn, or Smith threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    The only QB I'd like to see us trade for is Colt McCoy.
    Stop.

You don't want affordable pass rusher but you want the poor man's version of Suckchez.

if a team like denver can land peyton or even a team like chicago landing cutler, there's no reason why the jets can't land someone in between. ino, sanchez really needs to do a 180 this season before i'll be completely convinced he should be on the team past january. he is really too indecisive to be really effective regardless of the receivers he has. the oline isn't great but they have been giving him enough time. and he has shown the ability to get the ball out quickly when he really wants to.

matt flynn? the second string qb's are always the most popular guys in town. he needs to show more before the jets even think about picking up his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Maybe we could trade Alex Smith for Sanchez?
    Think about it. Sanchez gets to learn on the bench behind Kapernick with the guy they call the QB creater in Harbaugh.
    Harbaugh gets a back up QB who gets 8 mill next year but now his agent can only negotiate for a backup QB salary.
    Now, you have no QB controversy in San Fran/ he has a guy on the bench that has won 4 playoff games but will not have a QB controversy.
    In 2014, after mentoring under harbaugh for a year or two, 49ers put out the word that Sanchez is available for trade & you guys know the NFL, there will be a team that needs a starting QB because of Injury or what have you & will trade a #2 pick to take one more chance on Mark Sanchez to ressurect his career.
    This stuff happens all the time in this QB starved league.
    Could be a team like the Raiders across the bridge, when Palmers run out of town.
    He might even play well after Harbaugh gets his confidence back.
    Stranger things have happened.
    What qb Controversy? Kapenick will be the qb, Alex Smith will be cut before April 1st when his Salary becomes guaranteed for the year. The 49ers have less cap space than the jets (post cuts) just signed their OLb Bowman for 7 mill and still needs to sign Goldson. he is not going to pay 8.5 mill for a b/u reclamation project. he may even be able to get a draft pick for Smith.
    Harbough is much more likely to get a 2mill a year backup.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Stop.

You don't want affordable pass rusher but you want the poor man's version of Suckchez.
    I'll take an affordable pass rusher any day of the week. Who how have in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Stop.

keep in mind 1.7 mil for 4-5 games for a guy that has NEVER played a 3-4 is not cheap.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    if a team like denver can land peyton or even a team like chicago landing cutler, there's no reason why the jets can't land someone in between. ino, sanchez really needs to do a 180 this season before i'll be completely convinced he should be on the team past january. he is really too indecisive to be really effective regardless of the receivers he has. the oline isn't great but they have been giving him enough time. and he has shown the ability to get the ball out quickly when he really wants to.

matt flynn? the second string qb's are always the most popular guys in town. he needs to show more before the jets even think about picking up his contract.
    read up on the Jets 2013 cap situation and get back to us.

some people seem not to watch football....bring alex smith to jets he would be same as sanchez..if u want to say better i give u that but not a major improvement.....sanchez goes to san fran and with that o line and defense and coaching he could probably do same.....matt flynn?? because of 2 games???

some one sugested matt moore..thats seems a better choice , until something better becomes available...cause there is no one out there that is a really good
    QB....flaco will b a free agent...vick probably...david gerrard...none of those is what we are hoping as jets fans

Quote Originally Posted by ch107 View Post
    some people seem not to watch football....bring alex smith to jets he would be same as sanchez..if u want to say better i give u that but not a major improvement.....sanchez goes to san fran and with that o line and defense and coaching he could probably do same.....matt flynn?? because of 2 games???

some one sugested matt moore..thats seems a better choice , until something better becomes available...cause there is no one out there that is a really good
    QB....flaco will b a free agent...vick probably...david gerrard...none of those is what we are hoping as jets fans
    Moore at least would be an affordable FA signing and he'd be an upgrade over Teblow as the backup qb. I don't want Vick that would be another circus and I think Vick is done anyway. Garrard as the backup next season is actually not a bad idea he'd cost the league minimum and could actually sub in and play effectively if Sanchez ever got hurt.

Jets have to get rid of Tebow this off-season and end the circus.