Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it Possible Trade for Matt Flynn?

All League

Is it Possible Trade for Matt Flynn?

The upcoming draft may not have a QB who has franchise QB talent. After the Jets release Tebow they will have to quell the fanbase an have a tangible replacement for the last year of Sanchez. You have to have someone who can compete and possibly challenge Sanchez for the starter role. There are probably a handful of possible candidates but Flynn probably represents the best long term prospect of a Franchise QB.

So who do we trade for him? It can't be draft picks as we've done that too many times and is partly the reason we lack talent and depth at key positions now. We really don't have anyone on Offense that we can trade. I wish Keller had a year left because he could be a possible trade bait. On the defensive side the only person they may want to sniff is maybe Revis, but he's coming off an injury and they have a solid group of young CB's. Perhaps a Harris trade at the MLB spot would do it, but they have a young guy there as well.

So outside of draft picks who do you think we could trade to get him outside of draft picks.

Green Bay - Quarterback Matt Flynn's new contract with the Seattle Seahawks is worth just about 15 times more than his old one with the Green Bay Packers.

His three-year, $19.5 million deal with Seattle averages $6.5M. The four-year contract that he signed with the Packers as a seventh-round draft choice in 2008 averaged $442,294.

Flynn received a $6M signing bonus and base salaries of $2M this season, $5.25M in 2013 and $6.25M in 2014. His base salary is guaranteed this season, and $2 million of his base salary in '13 also is guaranteed.

The total guaranteed money is $10M.

Flynn's contract also contains escalator clauses in 2013 and '14 that reportedly could increase the total value of the contract by another $5M.

Anything is possible.

The question is.....why would we want to?

Flynn is hardly a proven commodity or standout stud QB at this point in his career. He's no less risky than an Alex Smith or even Sanchez himself.

Unless the trade was for Sanchez himself, or for some very late round picks, such a deal makes no sense. We're fiscally tied to Sanchez for 2013.

His qb coach, now the hc of the Dolphins had little interest in bringing him to Miami.
    Why would you want him here?

I dont understand the reasoning behind change just for the sake of change?

I have said this in numerous threads.

Sanchez is struggling, but who on the jets this year is having a good year besides big mo?

Veteran
    Flynn feels like another Matt Cassell or Kevin Kolb. No more "1 hit wonders" at QB, please.

What about we trade Sanchez for him? Sanchez has one year left can go to Seattle his college coach can reteach him and then allow him to look for a starting job while, we get Flynn and see what he can do and draft another qb early? What are your thoughts? I'd do it in a second.

I doubt if we can afford another higher dollar QB contract next year. We are going to have to suffer with sanchez and a low cost back up next year because I don't think we can jettison him until then.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarjet View Post
    Flynn feels like another Matt Cassell or Kevin Kolb. No more "1 hit wonders" at QB, please.
    Yes. There is real developmental talent in this draft - think Kapernick (however you spell that) out in SF or Schaub (3rd rounder IIRC). I expect the Jets to pick up someone in the 2nd round. And I think the most likely placeholder is Sanchez himself, for all the reason we know.

If Sanchez sucks, okay you can make a move to that 2nd-rounder after a year of seasoning on the bench and two training camps. if Sanchez works out - great too - you have a real backup QB and an heir-apparent [think Aaron Rogers - situationally, not talent-wise].

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis byrd 90 View Post
    What about we trade Sanchez for him? Sanchez has one year left can go to Seattle his college coach can reteach him and then allow him to look for a starting job while, we get Flynn and see what he can do and draft another qb early? What are your thoughts? I'd do it in a second.
    Why???????? Seattle has a starting QB making nothing the next 3 years. Why in the world would they trade their highly paid back up for an even HIGHER paid back up?? Please, think this stuff through.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I doubt if we can afford another higher dollar QB contract next year. We are going to have to suffer with sanchez and a low cost back up next year because I don't think we can jettison him until then.
    +1

where are we finding the room for his $5.25 base in 2013? The Jets are going to have to find a veteran QB from the league min scrap heap to come in and compete with Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Why???????? Seattle has a starting QB making nothing the next 3 years. Why in the world would they trade their highly paid back up for an even HIGHER paid back up?? Please, think this stuff through.
    It's not that crazy. Sanchez has a year at 8 million. Flynn has two years left with 6 million and 5 million. The Hawks take a hit of 2 million for one year to free up 5 million in the 3rd year. I think if you look at it that way it is well thought out and benefits both teams. Trust me I'm not going to post if I didn't think it through.

Jets Insider VIP
    Bring in matt moore to stabalize the qb position for a year or 2. Draft a qb with a high pick. Staple sanchez to the bench until we can cut him.

This is not difficult fellas.

If we do anything to improve our QB situation it should be through the draft. I hate bringing in other teams cast offs. Flynn wasn't good enough for his old OC and he wasn't good enough to beat out a late round rookie (Granted Wilson has turned out to be a solid QB). But if Flynn isn't good enough to beat out Wilson what makes anyone think he would be better than Sanchez.

If the Jets choose to go to the cheap Vet route, i could see the Jets making a run at Vick. No one else will want him and the Jets love the big name players. While I think vick is very questionable, I think a change of scenary could help him and there is no question he is better than Teblow.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    +1

where are we finding the room for his $5.25 base in 2013? The Jets are going to have to find a veteran QB from the league min scrap heap to come in and compete with Sanchez
    And that's progress over this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Bring in matt moore to stabalize the qb position for a year or 2. Draft a qb with a high pick. Staple sanchez to the bench until we can cut him.

This is not difficult fellas.
    Nowadays if you use a first round pick on a QB that kid is going to start from week 1. No need to bring in matt moore to back up the rookie when you are already paying Sanchez.

Kids that could fall to us in the first or even second round are players like Matt Barkley (if we get lucky and he falls to us in the 1st round) , Glennon on NC State (who could be the best QB in this class and eventually find his way into the top half of the first round), tyler wilson, EJ Manuel and LAndry Jones. Each one of those guys could probably start right away in the NFL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Nowadays if you use a first round pick on a QB that kid is going to start from week 1. No need to bring in matt moore to back up the rookie when you are already paying Sanchez.
    Jack locker sat almost his entire 1st year. Bring in moore to stabalize the position, draft a qb in round 1 to sit and learn and staple sanchez to the bench.

Matt Barkley (if we get lucky and he falls to us in the 1st round)
    If we draft another USC or even PAC 12 QB I am done with the Jets. Just done. That will be it for me. The straw that breaks my back.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    And that's progress over this year?
    No it's not all all. The front office though have painted themselves into this corner themselves.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post

Kids that could fall to us in the first or even second round are players like Matt Barkley (if we get lucky and he falls to us in the 1st round) , Glennon on NC State (who could be the best QB in this class and eventually find his way into the top half of the first round), tyler wilson, EJ Manuel and LAndry Jones. Each one of those guys could probably start right away in the NFL.
    If the Jets draft in the top 10 this year, you can make a case that Barkley could drop to around 10. If the Chiefs take Geno Smith at 1 and the Jags do not take a QB, Barkley could fall to around the 10 range depending on how the final standings fall.

Jack locker sat almost his entire 1st year. Bring in moore to stabalize the position, draft a qb in round 1 to sit and learn and staple sanchez to the bench.
    So you would waste cap space bringing in matt moore and make Sanchez your 3rd string QB? Brilliant.

Maybe we could trade Alex Smith for Sanchez?
    Think about it. Sanchez gets to learn on the bench behind Kapernick with the guy they call the QB creater in Harbaugh.
    Harbaugh gets a back up QB who gets 8 mill next year but now his agent can only negotiate for a backup QB salary.
    Now, you have no QB controversy in San Fran/ he has a guy on the bench that has won 4 playoff games but will not have a QB controversy.
    In 2014, after mentoring under harbaugh for a year or two, 49ers put out the word that Sanchez is available for trade & you guys know the NFL, there will be a team that needs a starting QB because of Injury or what have you & will trade a #2 pick to take one more chance on Mark Sanchez to ressurect his career.
    This stuff happens all the time in this QB starved league.
    Could be a team like the Raiders across the bridge, when Palmers run out of town.
    He might even play well after Harbaugh gets his confidence back.
    Stranger things have happened.