Thread: The so-called fiscal cliff

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

The so-called fiscal cliff

Admittedly I haven't been following the fiscal cliff discussion for a number of reasons: busy with work and personal life, post election politics fatigue, etc. so excuse the following very basic question. I read that the WH is promoting a twitter hashtag (Obama is so current and edgy!) called #my2k, which informs citizens that if the Bush tax cuts are allowed to expire, taxes on middle class folks will go up about 2 g's.

Hang on, what?, I says to myself. Obama is now touting the Bush tax cuts as integral to the fiscal health of Middle America? What??? Didn't his campaign vilify Romney for wanting to extend the Bush tax cuts? Now they are championing the cause to do the very same thing?

I can't stand this administration.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Admittedly I haven't been following the fiscal cliff discussion for a number of reasons: busy with work and personal life, post election politics fatigue, etc. so excuse the following very basic question. I read that the WH is promoting a twitter hashtag (Obama is so current and edgy!) called #my2k, which informs citizens that if the Bush tax cuts are allowed to expire, taxes on middle class folks will go up about 2 g's.

Hang on, what?, I says to myself. Obama is now touting the Bush tax cuts as integral to the fiscal health of Middle America? What??? Didn't his campaign vilify Romney for wanting to extend the Bush tax cuts? Now they are championing the cause to do the very same thing?

You are incorrect.

Obama has always defended the "Bush" taxcuts, cuts he renewed making them the Obama Tax cuts, but ONLY for the Middle Class and down.

He has never, to my knowledge, defended the Bush Tax cuts for those making over $250K, i.e. the "ultra wealthy millionaires and billionaires".

The cuts he wishes to extend follow that line of reasoning. Stay cut for 98%, riase taxes on the top 2% (ro thereabouts).

Frankly, I think the entire argument is a sham. I think if we go over the so-called "fiscal cliff", we'll be just fine. Perhaps, even, better than if we don't in the long term.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it, thanks for the clarification.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    You are incorrect.

Obama has always defended the "Bush" taxcuts, cuts he renewed making them the Obama Tax cuts, but ONLY for the Middle Class and down.

He has never, to my knowledge, defended the Bush Tax cuts for those making over $250K, i.e. the "ultra wealthy millionaires and billionaires".

The cuts he wishes to extend follow that line of reasoning. Stay cut for 98%, riase taxes on the top 2% (ro thereabouts).

Frankly, I think the entire argument is a sham. I think if we go over the so-called "fiscal cliff", we'll be just fine. Perhaps, even, better than if we don't in the long term.
    Your assessment Of Obama's position is correct.
    I also agree with you about going over the fiscal cliff. There will be higher taxes for all and a reduction in expenses. Perhaps everyone should be involved in the "shared sacrifice". Social programs need to be slashed and the military does need a haircut. We can cut military fat and still be by far the most powerful.
    Needless spending on education, welfare, housing and make work programs need to ends.
    Increase the age for SS and Medicare graduallly to 70 over the next 20 years. Do away with early retiremement benefits. Attack Medicaid fraud.
    BTW, Obama's vaunted efforts at reducing medicare fraud are actually resulting in higher costs and MORE inefficiency.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like someone didn't pay very much attention to the campaign.
    Last edited by 21st Amendment; 11-28-2012 at 06:56 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

With a ragtag of "average Americans" around him in support. This ****ing guy is a disgrace. Just give the douche everything he wants and lets go down in flames. Most divisive President ever.

Seriously, it still looks like he's rallying around a campaign. Pander to the poor, it's all the GOPs fault....you won dick, part of your job is to deal with the other side, NOT constantly take media pot shots every chance you get. It's us vs them...pander to the poor majority who pays no attention other than oh well I the president says so. How about you get in some meeting and fix this **** instead of more public speeches berating republicans.
    Last edited by HessStation; 11-28-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post
    Sounds like someone didn't pay very much attention to the campaign.
    With so much sh*t flying it appears he has wisely been dodging and ducking.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are headed to another recession no matter what they do. Obama's biggest challenge will be how he can sell this as the House Reps fault, this way Hillary has an "excuse" in 2016.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    With a ragtag of "average Americans" around him in support. This ****ing guy is a disgrace. Just give the douche everything he wants and lets go down in flames. Most divisive President ever.

Seriously, it still looks like he's rallying around a campaign. Pander to the poor, it's all the GOPs fault....you won dick, part of your job is to deal with the other side, NOT constantly take media pot shots every chance you get. It's us vs them...pander to the poor majority who pays no attention other than oh well I the president says so. How about you get in some meeting and fix this **** instead of more public speeches berating republicans.
    LOL.

Someone is turning into quite the conservative.

BTW, I agree. Give them everything they want this way, in the end, there can be no doubt that this administration has been a complete phuck up. Then if people vote for Dems in 2016 we know the vast majority of Americans are idiots.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL.

Someone is turning into quite the conservative.

BTW, I agree. Give them everything they want this way, in the end, there can be no doubt that this administration has been a complete phuck up. Then if people vote for Dems in 2016 we know the vast majority of Americans are idiots.
    pretty sure we know that already. But maybe the its better to go off the fiscal cliff now while the drop is lower than later on when its the Grand ****ing Canyon.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd rather see the country hit the so called fiscal cliff than implement another temporary, kick the can down the road band aid which only increases fiscal issues in the future.

With such an ineffective Washington operating under virtually perpetual stalemate, increased taxes and decreased spending may be the best path forward.

People need to realize that the chances of getting our fiscal house in order without some sort of pain in the short and/or long term are basically slim to none. A moderate recession now is probably better than a severe recession down the road.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets go over the cliff and let Obama take the lead position. What we all need is for the President to take a 3 week vacation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beginning to agree...

I see that both groups of hack douchebags...D and R have stopped any sort of negotiating and gone the grandstanding route instead.

Let it go over the cliff with the mandated spending cuts even to the sacred cows of Entitlement and the bloated Military and their contractors and the end of the idiotic Bush tax cuts

Maybe it will get everyone angry enough to vote all the incumbent hacks out

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rubio killing it on Hannity. I love this guy. He needs to be our next President.