Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So do we still think Joe knows what he's talking about?

All League

So do we still think Joe knows what he's talking about?

Basically he's saying that Mark can still be good with the right cast around him and if he works at it.

He's been right on with most of his criticism, so maybe he's right here...

Joe Namath still believes in Mark Sanchez

Mark Sanchez is coming off yet another poor performance that has many convinced his career will never amount to much after his promising first two seasons. But he has a famous supporter who thinks he's capable of winning a ring.
    And that man knows firsthand what it takes to win a title; he's the only Jets quarterback to do it.
    "I believe Mark Sanchez can be a championship quarterback as long as he has the right supporting cast, yes I do," Joe Namath told Newsday Tuesday. "He hasn't shown me enough yet to give up on him. To say he can't? Excuse me, he's just finishing his fourth year. Who's to say he can't get better? He sure as hell works hard enough.
    "I'm not a person to say this man can't do it. I like him. I think he can. It takes Lady Luck to be on your side, but yes, I think he can do it."
    Namath is a longtime Sanchez supporter, but even those initially high on him have cooled. Despite the embarrassing 49-19 loss to the Patriots, in which Sanchez fumbled after running into Brandon Moore's backside, Namath still believes.
    "I feel the pain when something goes wrong with him," said Namath, 69, who won Super Bowl III after guaranteeing that the Jets would upset the Colts.
    "I know what he's going through. Every bad play I made was embarrassing and angered me. I went through a lot of stuff and wasn't happy a lot of the time. But Mark's handled it well. He just keeps plugging away."
    But the Jets' only Hall of Fame quarterback admits to being disappointed that Sanchez hasn't made further strides this season, even though Namath places much of the blame on poor blocking and dropped passes by his inexperienced wide receivers.
    "I believe in his courage and in his work ethic,'' he said, "but the only thing I've been disappointed with throughout the season is that he's missed several open receivers. I love his heart, he's going to keep trying, and he doesn't bad-mouth the other guys. But he needs to be more on target with his passes."
    As for Tim Tebow, Namath stands by his assertion he was never the right fit. Asked if Tebow, who is signed through the 2014 season, should return, he said: "No. What position are you going to play him at?"
    Well, Tebow always has expressed a preference for quarterback. "Then I think he should have that opportunity,'' Namath said, "and someone else should give him that opportunity if he wants to play quarterback."
    Namath also thinks Tebow shouldn't be in uniform for Sunday's game against the Cardinals, especially if cracked ribs continue to bother him.
    "It's a no-brainer," said Namath, who comments on the Jets on BroadwayJoe.tv and appears Mondays during the season on ESPN NY radio. "With two broken ribs, and he's not a gifted passer to begin with and running the ball is his forte, you're telling me he's going to be the active quarterback? This isn't complicated, but they're making it more complicated."
    He thinks Rex Ryan deserves a chance to return. He didn't have the same take on general manager Mike Tannenbaum.
    "Absolutely, he should be back next season," Namath said of Ryan. "Hell, he didn't pick all these players, he hasn't fumbled. I just don't think he has the talent on his team that they keep telling us he has."
    And Tannenbaum?
    "That's up to Woody Johnson, but from an ownership standpoint, you might want to move around some personnel in charge of these [player acquisitions]. Mike Tannenbaum might be good at that, but it doesn't look like that these last couple of seasons. It's up to the owner, but he might want to move him to handle the [salary cap] finances.''
    Namath says he is discouraged about the season, and is hoping for a quick turnaround. He understands it might not happen.
    "I'm a fan, and I'd love to have more positive things to talk about," he said. "It's frustrating and depressing for the fans and for myself. But it is what it is, and we just have to deal with it and work like heck to improve."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...chez-1.4266558

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Here is the main problem. We're very far from the right supporting cast. So it's time to find a QB that can truly make a difference without top 5 everthing.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Here is the main problem. We're very far from the right supporting cast. So it's time to find a QB that can truly make a difference without top 5 everthing.
    oh yeah cause that is so easy. Maybe Peyton has a 4th brother.

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree with Namath.

The fact that we are in this position is a clear indictement on the FO and the coaching staff!!!

All League
    So Gates and Schilens have concussions. Kerly remains banged up.

Our "healthy" receivers for Sunday could literally be:

Stephen "Stone Hands" Hill
    Jordan "I've played one NFL down in my career" White
    and Marty freakin Gilyard

#BlameSanchez

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post

#BlameSanchez
    Oh and dont forget McKnight!!!! You cant make it up!!! That would barely be an adequate college WR group!!!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    oh yeah cause that is so easy. Maybe Peyton has a 4th brother.
    I'm not saying we'll find him but Sanchez is done in NY. We must continue our search for a legit QB.

Namath should stick to trying to kiss Suzy.

He is right in some regards, primarily that Mark's development was doomed by the ignorance to the fact that he had two years as a starter overall then was thrown right to the wolves.

But beyond that, this team and Mark both need to go separate ways. Sanchez has zero margin for error here before he is basically shredded by both the media and the fans.

He belongs on the West Coast where he can be comfortable and put into a situation where he could actually develop behind somebody or coached by somebody with an actual clue.

Too much booze over the years, getting up there in age. Listen to him talk these days, he sounds like a punch-drunk fighter. Great icon for the organization, but what comes out of his mouth these days needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt

Sanchez can definitely be good. That's not even a question. He has won playoff games, he has played well on the big state. He clearly has the potential to be a great player.

The big question that people should be asking is: Can he play to his potential?

I think the answer is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd_Times_A_Charm View Post
    Sanchez can definitely be good. That's not even a question. He has won playoff games, he has played well on the big state. He clearly has the potential to be a great player.

The big question that people should be asking is: Can he play to his potential?

I think the answer is yes.
    Not even a question? OK so what you're telling me is 4 games of a guy's career is more determinative than like 60 other ones? The guy is mediocre, he cannot play at a high level outside of the rare game here or there. Everybody drafted in the top 10 has potential to be great. He hasn't fulfilled his and has had nearing 4 years of playing time to do so. If he were drafted by a 3-13 team he never would have sniffed the playoffs, wouldn't have those playoff wins to fall back on, and the team that had drafted him probably would have cut the cord already.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    If he were drafted by a 3-13 team he never would have sniffed the playoffs, wouldn't have those playoff wins to fall back on, and the team that had drafted him probably would have cut the cord already.
    Dead on.

How many rookie QB's walk in to a veteran team, with the #1 defense and top rushing game?

Hell, Ryan Leaf could have won 4 playoff games under those circumstances.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Dead on.

How many rookie QB's walk in to a veteran team, with the #1 defense and top rushing game?

E
    G
    D

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post

#BlameSanchez
    So when the proper play is called, one of these guys actually does get open and the chance for a big play is there and either Sanchez can't see the player when the whole world sees him or sails the pass 10 feet over the guys head or throws an int into the belly of a fat nose tackle this will be because we have jag receivers?

#Sanchezisstill****ty

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    So when the proper play is called, one of these guys actually does get open and the chance for a big play is there and either Sanchez can't see the player when the whole world sees him or sails the pass 10 feet over the guys head or throws an int into the belly of a fat nose tackle this will be because we have jag receivers?

#Sanchezisstill****ty
    Actually yes.....
    I found a Sanchite last week arguing that the WR's were "rounding" off their cuts too much.

LOL. I cant make this **** up.

Too much booze over the years, getting up there in age. Listen to him talk these days, he sounds like a punch-drunk fighter. Great icon for the organization, but what comes out of his mouth these days needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt
    I would agree with you except for the fact the HE'S BEEN RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING THE LAST TWO YEARS!!

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Dead on.

Houston, Detroit, Cleveland, and one other 4th qrt. comeback led by Sanchez. Plus ripping the Pats a new azz in the playoffs, 3 td's and beating the colts with two nice throws in the end. All in 2010.

Stop with the nonsense. Present issues do not erase past success.

When he says something that's isn't accurate, I'll get some salt.

That hasn't happened yet.

You are clearly referring to REX RYAN...I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Houston, Detroit, Cleveland, and one other 4th qrt. comeback led by Sanchez. Plus ripping the Pats a new azz in the playoffs, 3 td's and beating the colts with two nice throws in the end. All in 2010.

Stop with the nonsense. Present issues do not erase past success.
    huh, so you lost a couple of championship games, big deal. He was carried to the playoffs by a superior team. He was the weak link. You seem to think that since he played well in 1/2 the games his first two years that buys him something, it does not. Sanchez is the most over paid player in the NFL.

When this season started I thought he could get back on track this year. This season shows how wrong I was.