Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this "Disastrous" Season Being Overplayed?

Here's a theory:

When the coaches hit on the gameplan, we're very good. (Seriously, very good)

When the coaches miss on the gameplan, we're one of the 3 worst teams in the league. We don't have the players to make impact plays to keep us in games where the opponent is doing something we didn't practice for during the week. Also, the coaching staff is horrendous at making in-game adjustments. When something is clearly not working, they still stick with it.

It doesn't matter how much scouting you do or how much tape you watch, there will be times when you're going to be caught off guard by something the other team does on game day. When that happens to the Jets, they get blown out.

*This isn't based on anything I've actually seen (I haven't really been looking for it). Just looking for a plausible explanation as to how a team can win and lose by so many points.

There are six 4-7 teams: The Jets, Bills, Titans, Chargers, Cardinals, and Lions. The Bills Titans, Cardinals, and Lions all have one 14+ point win. The Jets and Chargers each have 3. But the Chargers have only lost by 14 once this year, and they have lost 4 games that were decided by 7 or fewer points (1 possession games). The Jets, on the other hand, have lost by at least 14 points 5 times this season.

This is actually a trend that started last year, it's just gotten worse in 2012. We play the least number of "competitive" games of any team in the NFL. After all the excitement of 2009 and 2010, 2011 and 2012 have consisted (mostly) of Sundays where the Jets blow someone out, or get blown out themselves.

If I remember correctly, practically zero "experts" in the media had the Jets pegged for the playoffs. I can't count how many (it was a ton) on this board had the Jets at 7-9, 8-8. Very, very few had the Jets winning 10+. I don't think anybody -- media or here -- had the Jets winning the division. Lose top defender and offensive playmaker. Starting a QB nobody was/is sold on. And now they are 4-7 with a pretty reasonable shot to finish 8-8, where pretty much most people thought.

I'd say the "disastrous" talk is definitely being overplayed.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    If I remember correctly, practically zero "experts" in the media had the Jets pegged for the playoffs. I can't count how many (it was a ton) on this board had the Jets at 7-9, 8-8. Very, very few had the Jets winning 10+. I don't think anybody -- media or here -- had the Jets winning the division. Lose top defender and offensive playmaker. Starting a QB nobody was/is sold on. And now they are 4-7 with a pretty reasonable shot to finish 8-8, where pretty much most people thought.

It's pretty bad for the following reasons.

The Jets Qb has pretty well proved he is really awful and can not do a thing unless he has a totally stacked team.

The Jets have sunk their long term big money into players they should get rid of if they had the chance due to poor play.

Even though the pundits and the fans may have known the quality of the team the coach and the Gm seemed to have no clue they were not a sure fire playoff if not champ calibre team.

The holes that were on the team that the front office and coach seemed to think are fine are so huge it will take multiple years to improve them.

The biggest disaster is that the Jets are in tweener land. The owner will probably not fire the GM and coach, the team will probably rally and get that 8-8 record and those that are building the team and coaching it will think were are close and that injuries deep sixed us.

Banned

When Wrecks publically proclaims "this is the most talented team since I've been here" and the Jets are sitting at 4-7, then it is a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    When Wrecks publically proclaims "this is the most talented team since I've been here" and the Jets are sitting at 4-7, then it is a disaster.
    despite what Rex said, maybe 20 percent of people had the Jets winning more than 9 games. Most had 6-8 wins. This is what most expected despite Rex's statement. Like I said, overplayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I was pretty certain that the offense would suck. The players we have at the skill positions...just a sad group. And that we before Santonio got hurt.
    Our skill players are perfectly adequate for winning.

Our QB is not.

But I thought the defense was going to be dominant, it's pretty shocking how bad it's been considering the talent we have there. How did we have the number 1 defense in 2009 with Lito Sheppard, Jim Leonhard, Eric Smith and Marques Douglas all starting? All those positions have supposedly been upgraded but the defense is so much worse.
    1. Lose the best CB in the NFL right now.
    2. Have durabillity problems with both your main DT's
    3. LB's are older and slower than expected, and exposed by 2. above.
    4. Ongoing "No Pass Rush" Issue.
    5. Sanchez constantly and consistently turning the ball over and leading short inept drives, thus wearing down and over-pressuring the Defense to be perfect, both within single games, and over the course of the season. They're not up to that challenge, few D's would be.

And the special teams have fallen off a cliff.
    Specials can rise or fall on one missed block here or there (and have this season) or one untimely fumble (ditto), thats not indicitive of an entire Unit failing.

Congrats on beating up on the bottom-feeders in the NFL.

Against teams with winning records, the Jets are 0-6 and have been outscored 190-79.
    50,000 posts. you are the biggest loser I've ever had the displeasure of seeing in my entire life. You've spent ~416 hours (30 seconds a post?) basking in schadenfreude, that says to me you've got pretty much nothing else going on...at all.... We all know the Pats are better than the Jets, you're not breaking new ground here dip****.

Rookie
    The disaster is not so much the won loss record as it is the way we lost. Sanchez regressing is a disaster in and of itself. IDK about the "not having talent around him argument". He's regressed and it's a disaster. Maybe all the drops (and there was soooo many) demoralized him, IDK, but what ever it is, he's just aweful now.

Against teams with winning records, the Jets are 0-6 and have been outscored 190-79.
    DIKKhead We did beat the Colts.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I think the onlything that is overplayed is the surprise around the poor play, which the OP hints at.

We new going into the season that our o-line was substandard. The WR's even with Holmes lacked experience and any history of success(The #2 WR was a high draft pick known for dropping balls and was a project).

The #1 RB was already being questioned as whether he could shoulder the load and was good enough to be the #1 guy.

Add to that learning a new offensive system designed by an OC with questionable qualifications.

On defense, the dline was a hope and see situation with youg guys with potential but not one of whom demonstrated any ability to be a game changer.
    We knew the LB's were slow.

And the safety were the only thing that was upgraded, but even they weren't known for their pass defense.

It confounded me in preseason how some people predicted success for this group.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    DIKKhead We did beat the Colts.
    Colts were 2-2 when they played the Jets.

Warfishur skill players are perfectly adequate for winning.

What skill players? Holmes even when healthy is a #2 WR but has the problems of an over paid #1 guy. We have no skill to speak of at RB. We have no skill to speak of at other WR positions. OLB, a key component of any 3-4 has no skill at all. We for sure do not have enough skill.

Specials can rise or fall on one missed block here or there (and have this season) or one untimely fumble (ditto), thats not indicitive of an entire Unit failing.

I 100% disagree with this, dismissing the train wreck of the special teams this year is folly. We heaped praise for years on the specials coach for being great, he deserves significant heat for terrible specials this year.

We were a 3 game meltdown away from making the playoffs for a 3rd year in a row last year. The fans have every right to have had high expectations going into this season, though the signs of what has transpired were there. It's the FO and leadership of this team that should have seen the true signs and taken action. FOr them to come out and say this is the most talented team they had, blah blah blah, SUper Bowl, Playoffs, blah blah blah....that's the inexcusable part. These are people who are paid alot of money to make the right decisions and they failed at every single turn.

All Pro

This is why people want you to die in a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Warfishur skill players are perfectly adequate for winning.

What skill players? Holmes even when healthy is a #2 WR but has the problems of an over paid #1 guy. We have no skill to speak of at RB. We have no skill to speak of at other WR positions. OLB, a key component of any 3-4 has no skill at all. We for sure do not have enough skill.
    Holmes/Kerley/Hill/Keller/Cumberland/Schillens is a perfectly adequate receiving corps.

Greene/Powell/McKnight is a perfectly adequate stable of backs.

Our skill is fine. Not great. Not elite. Not top-10. But fine.

Our QB is the in the bottom 2 or 3 in the NFL. If we had even an average QB, our supposedly skillless skill players would be looking vastly better.

Like many fans, you can deflect the massive failure of Sanchez all you wish, but the reality is we can improve either by replacing ONE person, the QB, or replacing the entire O-line, WR, TE and RB spots with HOF'ers. Which do YOU think is more reasonable?

I 100% disagree with this, dismissing the train wreck of the special teams this year is folly. We heaped praise for years on the specials coach for being great, he deserves significant heat for terrible specials this year.
    2 missed blocks for 2 blocked kicks, and one (or is it two?) fumbles by the return men. 4 plays, all accountable to specific individuals, not the unit as a whole. The Special Teams Coach cannot hold the ball for the returner, or stop a blocker from completely missing an assignment.

In any event, we'll see next year if we can do better, since this is (if I recall) the Cane's last season before retirement.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Holmes/Kerley/Hill/Keller/Cumberland/Schillens is a perfectly adequate receiving corps.

Greene/Powell/McKnight is a perfectly adequate stable of backs.

Our skill is fine. Not great. Not elite. Not top-10. But fine.

Our QB is the in the bottom 2 or 3 in the NFL. If we had even an average QB, our supposedly skillless skill players would be looking vastly better.

Like many fans, you can deflect the massive failure of Sanchez all you wish, but the reality is we can improve either by replacing ONE person, the QB, or replacing the entire O-line, WR, TE and RB spots with HOF'ers. Which do YOU think is more reasonable?

2 missed blocks for 2 blocked kicks, and one (or is it two?) fumbles by the return men. 4 plays, all accountable to specific individuals, not the unit as a whole. The Special Teams Coach cannot hold the ball for the returner, or stop a blocker from completely missing an assignment.

In any event, we'll see next year if we can do better, since this is (if I recall) the Cane's last season before retirement.
    They are adequate for a .500 team, which is what the Jets will probably be this year.

despite what Rex said, maybe 20 percent of people had the Jets winning more than 9 games. Most had 6-8 wins. This is what most expected despite Rex's statement. Like I said, overplayed.
    Not true. Look at the preseason prediction thread. Although more fans than usual showed concern for the season, well more than half that posted predicted a winning record, with many predicting a 12-4, 11-5 type season. And no, they all weren't the usual kool-aid drinkers.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...ct+jets+record

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Not true. Look at the preseason prediction thread. Although more fans than usual showed concern for the season, well more than half that posted predicted a winning record, with many predicting a 12-4, 11-5 type season. And no, they all weren't the usual kool-aid drinkers.

Thats true, I had predicted 10-6 due to the fact that I thought the defense would be really good this year and that Sanchez would show some improvement. Also I didnt think the Bills and Dolphins were going to be very good.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    This is why people want you to die in a fire.
    +1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post

That's a pretty funny thread.