Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How the heck did the Jets four 1st round picks in 2000?

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I remember that...a pure deer in the headlights situation.

What gets me...if you read a review of Tom Brady's performance in the cotton bowl, how the fukk did he last to the 6th round????

He backed up Drew Hinson I get it but he clearly was a stud worth a 3rd or so..

PLEASE dont anyone post a pic of him at the combines..we have all seen it.
    Another game is the comeback in the Orange Bowl by Brady.

That's why they eventually took him. BB said he kept showing up round after round and dropping until they couldn't ignore it any longer. He said the red flag was that Michigan was always trying to replace him so they felt something must be wrong with him.

If you remember 2000, the Pats carried 4 qbs on the active roster. BB was afraid that if he put Brady on the practice squad, he would lose him. BB knew something was special about him that first year. Weis did too. I'm sure they didn't anticipate this but they thought enough of him to keep working with him.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Dolphins fan?
    lol, no need to throw insults around.

No I am a Canadian, perhaps that is worse than being a phin fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

It's close but no, you're still a step or two above the Phish...

All League

Oh... perhaps it was the immortal Jet Ricky Ray that led you to root for this organ-I-zation?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Another game is the comeback in the Orange Bowl by Brady.

That's why they eventually took him. BB said he kept showing up round after round and dropping until they couldn't ignore it any longer. He said the red flag was that Michigan was always trying to replace him so they felt something must be wrong with him.

If you remember 2000, the Pats carried 4 qbs on the active roster. BB was afraid that if he put Brady on the practice squad, he would lose him. BB knew something was special about him that first year. Weis did too. I'm sure they didn't anticipate this but they thought enough of him to keep working with him.
    I stand corrected...I mean Orange bowl, not cotton bowl.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Except slick Willy Parcells didn't REALLY leave, now did he?

And in hindsight, seeing what kind of owner Woody has become, BB was a genius for cutting out.
    E
    G
    D
    T

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    They got two picks from the Bucs for Keyshawn Johnson and were awarded a first and a third by the NFL for Kraft' s tampering in getting Cheating Bill to steal 1 million dollars of Leon Hess' dollars and violate his written word to become the HC of the NYJ upon Bill Parcells departure

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    As opposed to the Jets tampering to get Parcells from the Pats... at least one of the teams made out...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Good lord, 2 #1s? And here we are talking about getting a 2 for Revis.

How times have changed.
    No question. There's a much higher premium on picks these days. Keyshawn was always fairly overrated because he loved to run his mouth, too.

You can defend the Ellis, Abraham, and Pennington picks individually but there's no question we didn't do as well as we could have in that draft. We already had a strong roster at that point -- four first rounders should have put us in a position to be over the top.

...and then there was Al Groh... And then there was Herm...

Quote Originally Posted by poppapump View Post
    When BB left, it was classic. i will always remember Steve Gutman standing at a podium looking like a train just hit him. One of his quotes was, "what you saw right there is a confused individual". Anyone know where a video of that can be located?
    I think he used the term "serious turmoil" in describing Belicheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    I think he used the term "serious turmoil" in describing Belicheck.
    yes, you are right, that was the wording

I was not a big jet fan back then so I don't know the story behind that. What occurred to allow them to get four 1st rounders? (Parcells was in charge of that draft correct?)
    The Keyshawn trade was one I know...

Rookie
    BB didn't want to be Parcell's puppet. Good for him

Parcell's recommended Sporano for the Miami HC job. How'd that work out?

Now he's the Jet's OC and how's that working out. Looks like BB meant more to Tuna's success than Tuna did to BB's.

Quote Originally Posted by poppapump View Post
    When BB left, it was classic. i will always remember Steve Gutman standing at a podium looking like a train just hit him. One of his quotes was, "what you saw right there is a confused individual". Anyone know where a video of that can be located?
    I never understood why Belichick waited til the last minute like that, did he want to stick it to Parcells or the Jets organization or both? I mean he could have told them not to have the press conference, but he didn't...still don't get it. What a scumbag, I was so pumped that he was going to take over and he stuck it right up all of our asses that day...F U Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    BB didn't want to be Parcell's puppet. Good for him

Parcell's recommended Sporano for the Miami HC job. How'd that work out?

Now he's the Jet's OC and how's that working out. Looks like BB meant more to Tuna's success than Tuna did to BB's.
    Parcells never won a SB, conference championship or even division title without Belichick as either the DC or assistant head coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    And we netted 3 very good players. I know people like to trash Penny but I can't fault the guy for his body betraying him. Poor guy's shoulder was cursed. He was never the same after the '03 injury. And Ellis and Abraham were two fine players. Abe is still going strong.
    Sans the vomiting in Oakland game anyway.
    I dont think we've had a decent pass rusher since.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    I never understood why Belichick waited til the last minute like that, did he want to stick it to Parcells or the Jets organization or both? I mean he could have told them not to have the press conference, but he didn't...still don't get it. What a scumbag, I was so pumped that he was going to take over and he stuck it right up all of our asses that day...F U Bill.
    Its almost like he pulled his own Mangini-traitor act ok.

Then gets all bent out of shape when someone else betrays him

All Pro

How times have changed.
    Part of it is the money.

The Bucs were an elite team, just a playmaker away from winning the SB (in their mind). Key was young, still improving, a former #1 overall pick. Revis is coming off an ACL and wants 12 million a year. That's the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Oh... perhaps it was the immortal Jet Ricky Ray that led you to root for this organ-I-zation?
    Yes it was as a matter of fact. He just won his 3rd Grey Cup last weekend as a matter of fact. Ray may very well have done something down there if he had ever been given a chance. Hell Herm didn't even know his name.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    Parcells never won a SB, conference championship or even division title without Belichick as either the DC or assistant head coach.
    BB didnt win anything either without Kodak as his assistant !

Rookie

How times have changed.
    Back in the day, you had to pay 1st round picks a ridiculous amount of money. In today's NFL, 1st round picks get a much smaller amount which makes a first round pick much more valuable - think of it as a potentially really good player for not that much money.

There used to be articles written on how bad teams used to never be able to get out of the doghouse because they would continually tie up millions in a top 5 pick year after year.