Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How the heck did the Jets four 1st round picks in 2000?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

How the heck did the Jets four 1st round picks in 2000?

I was not a big jet fan back then so I don't know the story behind that. What occurred to allow them to get four 1st rounders? (Parcells was in charge of that draft correct?)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Keyshawn and Belichick trades

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I was not a big jet fan back then so I don't know the story behind that. What occurred to allow them to get four 1st rounders? (Parcells was in charge of that draft correct?)
    They got two picks from the Bucs for Keyshawn Johnson and were awarded a first and a third by the NFL for Kraft' s tampering in getting Cheating Bill to steal 1 million dollars of Leon Hess' dollars and violate his written word to become the HC of the NYJ upon Bill Parcells departure

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    The Keyshawn and Belichick trades
    Yep.

We somehow got 2 #1 picks for Keyshawn from Tampa, and the NFL gave us NE's first round pick for Belicheck resigning and taking the Patsie job. I remember at the time really, really hoping that Burress fell to us at #12, but the Steelers grabbed him at #8. Getting Coles in the 3rd made up for that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And we netted 3 very good players. I know people like to trash Penny but I can't fault the guy for his body betraying him. Poor guy's shoulder was cursed. He was never the same after the '03 injury. And Ellis and Abraham were two fine players. Abe is still going strong.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets were hot for Plax in that draft, but couldn't pass up on Abe and Ellis. He went to the Steelers, so the Jets settled on Pennington at 17.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe a few days before the draft Parcells traded a #1 and a #2 to move up to #13 so he could be in position to select Ellis and Abe.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was not a big jet fan back then
    Dolphins fan?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Dolphins fan?
    A beer drinking Dolphins fan. Hence his handle Beerfish.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep we had ours, 2 from Tampa for Keyshawn, and another from New England for Belichik. Abraham, Ellis, Becht and Pennington. We also took Lavernaues Coles in the third round of that draft. Best draft we ever had.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    They got two picks from the Bucs for Keyshawn Johnson and were awarded a first and a third by the NFL for Kraft' s tampering in getting Cheating Bill to steal 1 million dollars of Leon Hess' dollars and violate his written word to become the HC of the NYJ upon Bill Parcells departure

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Except slick Willy Parcells didn't REALLY leave, now did he?

And in hindsight, seeing what kind of owner Woody has become, BB was a genius for cutting out.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    The Jets were hot for Plax in that draft, but couldn't pass up on Abe and Ellis. He went to the Steelers, so the Jets settled on Pennington at 17.
    Yup, and supposedly right after the Jets took Pennington at 17 they called the Steelers and asked if they'd like to swap Plax for Pennington (they liked Pennington a lot before that draft too), but the Steelers said no thanks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    Yup, and supposedly right after the Jets took Pennington at 17 they called the Steelers and asked if they'd like to swap Plax for Pennington (they liked Pennington a lot before that draft too), but the Steelers said no thanks.
    Yep. They talked, but I remember there were conflicting reports on who called who.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Chad was the 18th, not the 17th pick, and I do remember the talking heads saying the Jets got great value because they thought Chad should have gone higher. In effect, Pennington fell in the Jets laps at 18 and they couldn't afford not to grab him, even though Vinny T. was entrenched as the starting QB at the time. Taking Becht at 27 was "eh", whaddya gonna do? Just another failed 1st round tight end pick (K. Brady, Mitchell).

Anybody remember the tool at the draft wearing a Jets shirt mouthing "WHO?" when the Jets selected Abraham?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We got coles in the 3rd round that year as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1 View Post
    I believe Chad was the 18th, not the 17th pick, and I do remember the talking heads saying the Jets got great value because they thought Chad should have gone higher. In effect, Pennington fell in the Jets laps at 18 and they couldn't afford not to grab him, even though Vinny T. was entrenched as the starting QB at the time. Taking Becht at 27 was "eh", whaddya gonna do? Just another failed 1st round tight end pick (K. Brady, Mitchell).

Anybody remember the tool at the draft wearing a Jets shirt mouthing "WHO?" when the Jets selected Abraham?
    We had no tight end at the time, and i remember a lot of people being mad we didn't take Bubba Franks over Ellis.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Except slick Willy Parcells didn't REALLY leave, now did he?

And in hindsight, seeing what kind of owner Woody has become, BB was a genius for cutting out.

When BB left, it was classic. i will always remember Steve Gutman standing at a podium looking like a train just hit him. One of his quotes was, "what you saw right there is a confused individual". Anyone know where a video of that can be located?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by poppapump View Post
    When BB left, it was classic. i will always remember Steve Gutman standing at a podium looking like a train just hit him. One of his quotes was, "what you saw right there is a confused individual". Anyone know where a video of that can be located?
    I remember that...a pure deer in the headlights situation.

What gets me...if you read a review of Tom Brady's performance in the cotton bowl, how the fukk did he last to the 6th round????

He backed up Drew Hinson I get it but he clearly was a stud worth a 3rd or so..

PLEASE dont anyone post a pic of him at the combines..we have all seen it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    And we netted 3 very good players. I know people like to trash Penny but I can't fault the guy for his body betraying him. Poor guy's shoulder was cursed. He was never the same after the '03 injury. And Ellis and Abraham were two fine players. Abe is still going strong.
    If penny could have stayed the same qb he was when he destroyed manning and the colts I was so pumped after that game thinking we finally found a qb then he gets injured and becomes check down chad which I hated

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Yep.

We somehow got 2 #1 picks for Keyshawn from Tampa, and the NFL gave us NE's first round pick for Belicheck resigning and taking the Patsie job. I remember at the time really, really hoping that Burress fell to us at #12, but the Steelers grabbed him at #8. Getting Coles in the 3rd made up for that.
    Good lord, 2 #1s? And here we are talking about getting a 2 for Revis.

How times have changed.