Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: So, Our Offenses "Skill Players" Suck, So Who MUST be Replaced for 2012?

  1. #1

    So, Our Offenses "Skill Players" Suck, So Who MUST be Replaced for 2012?

    So here are our skill players in 2012:

    QB #2 Tim Tebow
    QB #3 Greg McElroy

    RB #1 Shonn Greene
    RB #2 Bilal Powell
    RB #3 Joe McKnight

    FB Lex Hiliard

    WR #1 Santonio Holmes
    WR #2 Jeremy Kerley (Slot)
    WR #3 Steven Hill (Rookie)
    WR #4 Chaz Schilens
    WR #5 Clyde Gates

    TE #1 Dustin keller
    TE #2 Jeff Cumberland
    TE #3 Konrad Reuland

    KR Joe McKnight
    PR Jeremey Kerley
    So, this is who we have now.

    Question #1: Assuming that we cannot and will not move Mark Sanchez as our Starting QB, which of these players MUST be cut and replaced so that "we have no talent at our skill positions" would no longer be true?

    Question #2: Who should those terminated players be replaced BY specificly?

    Question #3: With Sanchez at the helm, can the roster (after teh changes you make in Q's #1 and #2 above) be considered a "contender" on the offensive side of the ball, with the current staff of Rex and Sparano in place?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Shonn Greene MUST be replaced as our starting RB.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Assuming that we cannot and will not move Mark Sanchez as our Starting QB, which of these players MUST be cut and replaced so that "we have no talent at our skill positions" would no longer be true?
    Remember that unrealized talent that surrounds a quarterback like Mark Sanchez tends to remain unrealized. There are guys on the Jets who would flourish elsewhere and stars elsewhere would fall into a malaise on this squad.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,952
    Unless a new gm and coach come in and want to run the tebow offense next year, he is gone.

    Shonn greene and dustin keller are gone as there contracts are up and neither is worth resigning.

    Schilens and gates are waiver fodder and it wont make a difference if they are around or not. but they were brought here by their past coaches Sparano and Lal. So if the coaches are gone, they are probably gone too.

  5. #5
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,359
    RB in the 2nd round

    Trade 3rd round pick to the Skins for Kirk Cousins

    TE, WR, Olineman the rest of the draft.

    1sr round pick take a pash rushing OLB.

    Cut Tebow!!!!

    Greene and Keller could come back if they'll take one year deals to improve stock. Greene unless 1 year deal let him walk. Keller I'd sign if its not crazy or we could franchise him to see what this team can do next year with everyone healthy and another draft.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 11-29-2012 at 02:31 PM.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,157
    Given having to fill holes all over the roster, it's going to be tough to blow up the Jets offense this off season. That being said..

    1) Let Greene walk. Draft a RB in the first few rounds to compete with Powell and McKnight

    2) Holmes is stuck here in 2013. In 2014 we're looking for a #1 target in FA.

    3) Hill will have an off season to learn how to catch.Signing a jouneyman vet to push for the #2 or#4 slots if Hill can't get his act together would be a smart move.

    4) Schillens is fine as a #4 at a vet min. I would use the draft to grab a WR in the mid rounds who could legitimately make the roster and add some WR depth. I don't want to see Gates on the team next year.

    5) Trade or cut Tebow. Sign a cheap journeyman vet to compete with Sanchez in camp, and to stick around as a realistic #2 option if Sanchez continues to self implode. Considering the weak draft class and the salary cap, I'd wait until 2014 to find our new QB.

    6) Re-sign Keller. If Tanny is really some kind of cap genius, he could work out a deal where the cap hits are the greatest in 2014 and 2015. Keller will command decent $$$, but should be nowhere near what the top TEs earn.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,670
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    There are guys on the Jets who would flourish elsewhere and stars elsewhere would fall into a malaise on this squad.
    Who are those stars?

  8. #8
    Jeremy Kerley is the guy I love from that group. I think he's got a high ceiling. Holmes has hit his ceiling IMO. I wouldn't be stepping over dead bodies to get to many on that list though.


    QB #2 Tim Tebow ---- NOPE
    QB #3 Greg McElroy ---- JAG

    RB #1 Shonn Greene --- JAG
    RB #2 Bilal Powell ---- too few flashes to know
    RB #3 Joe McKnight ---- Special teams

    FB Lex Hiliard --- fullbacks are a dime a dozen

    WR #1 Santonio Holmes --- attitude
    WR #2 Jeremy Kerley (Slot) ------ I'd go after Kerley
    WR #3 Steven Hill (Rookie) ------- everytime I see him,he's dropping something
    WR #4 Chaz Schilens ----- same thing as hill
    WR #5 Clyde Gates ------ special teams speed

    TE #1 Dustin keller ------ good but I think there are lots of good TEs around the league so not top dollars for him
    TE #2 Jeff Cumberland ---- know nothing about him
    TE #3 Konrad Reuland ---- know nothing about him

    KR Joe McKnight ---- already stated special teams
    PR Jeremey Kerley ----- again keeper

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    So here are our skill players in 2012:



    So, this is who we have now.

    Question #1: Assuming that we cannot and will not move Mark Sanchez as our Starting QB, which of these players MUST be cut and replaced so that "we have no talent at our skill positions" would no longer be true?

    Question #2: Who should those terminated players be replaced BY specificly?

    Question #3: With Sanchez at the helm, can the roster (after teh changes you make in Q's #1 and #2 above) be considered a "contender" on the offensive side of the ball, with the current staff of Rex and Sparano in place?

    Of everything you mentioned, I think the WR corps needs the least amount of tweaking. Holmes is back whether we like it or not, Kerley looks like a legitimate player (though not a star), and we have to hope that Hill can improve...I'm not quitting on this guy early; the physical tools are too hard to ignore, plus he's got a good attitude and work ethic. Gates will probably never amount to anything, but I'd rather roll with him and see what happens than waste money on a FA.

    1) Greene is a FA and under no circumstances should he be re-signed. Powell and McKnight have some ability, but neither of them is capable of being a lead back. Greene is the one in most dire need of replacing.

    Tebow needs to go because he is awful. He has done zilch for the run game. Other than one 20 yard run against the Steelers, he is under 3YPC.

    We can let go of Schilens, but I would like to keep Gates. Gates still sucks as a route runner, but he's got some wheels and I would like to keep him as a developmental WR.

    I'd let go of Keller because we have minimal cap space and he's too one dimensional. I absolutely would not sign him to a long term deal, but I could tolerate him being franchised..I would disagree with the move because we aren't contending next year with or without him, but I could live with it.

    2) Of the three players I mentioned, this is how they should be replaced:

    Greene: Draft a RB in the first three rounds. I wouldn't be strongly opposed to getting one in the first round if he is a complete back and ready to contribute IMMEDIATELY. If Gio Bernard were to be available, I'd be all for it; that being said, I really hope the Jets can trade down this year...too many holes to fill and filling them via the draft will be more efficient and cost effective than via free agency.

    Tebow: Either sign a journeyman a la Matt Moore, Jason Campbell, or Tarvaris Jackson and have an OPEN competition with Sanchez. I'd be all for that, but I would rather spend a 2nd or a 3rd on a QB with raw physical tools a la Logan Thomas, Tyler Bray, or Zach Dysert that can be groomed for a year while we suffer through one more Sanchez year.

    Schilens: Use a mid round pick on a developmental big possession receiver. Have the rookie and Jordan White compete for the 5th WR position.

    Keller: Roll with Cumberland/Reuland if we have to, but I'd only be fine with that if we had a solid rookie RB to carry the load. If not, a large all-around TE like Zach Ertz or Tyler Eifert would be a boon to the offense. We have plenty of speed in the WR corps IMHO, so a well rounded TE and a contributing rookie RB would actually give us some semblance of a G&P offense (if that's what we're still doing).

    3) Doubtful, but if we beef up the line or TE and pair it with an NFL ready RB, we'll be improved from this year. The offense wouldn't suck if we had a legitimate QB or a dominant running game. We have neither, and we're seeing the awful results right now. The offense's ineptitude is affecting the entire team.
    Last edited by Rexipus Rex; 11-29-2012 at 02:53 PM.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    1) Let Greene walk. Draft a RB in the first few rounds to compete with Powell and McKnight
    #1 Priority in my opinion. Our lack of a running game hurts us way more than people think.


    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    2) Holmes is stuck here in 2013. In 2014 we're looking for a #1 target in FA.
    I'm not sure if they can trade him. If they can, they should. Even if it is only for a 7th round pick, I'd dump him.


    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    3) Hill will have an off season to learn how to catch.Signing a jouneyman vet to push for the #2 or#4 slots if Hill can't get his act together would be a smart move.
    Hill was always considered a project. That's why he was a second round prospect, and not a first. The mistake the Jets made was thinking he could be a starter right away. He would have been better served as a #4 this season.

    The talent is there. They just need to develop it.


    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    4) Schillens is fine as a #4 at a vet min. I would use the draft to grab a WR in the mid rounds who could legitimately make the roster and add some WR depth. I don't want to see Gates on the team next year.
    +1000000 on Gates. This guy has no business being on an NFL roster.


    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    5) Trade or cut Tebow. Sign a cheap journeyman vet to compete with Sanchez in camp, and to stick around as a realistic #2 option if Sanchez continues to self implode. Considering the weak draft class and the salary cap, I'd wait until 2014 to find our new QB.
    Agreed. Either you start Tebow, and build the offense to fit his abilities (like Denver did last year), or you get rid of him. The whole "one play here, one play there," approach is counterproductive.


    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    6) Re-sign Keller. If Tanny is really some kind of cap genius, he could work out a deal where the cap hits are the greatest in 2014 and 2015. Keller will command decent $$$, but should be nowhere near what the top TEs earn.
    I'd let him walk. He's probably going to want more than he is worth.

  11. #11
    QB #1 Mark Sanchez - Demote to 3rd string or just put on IR to get the roster spot back. Draft a new starter.
    QB #2 Tim Tebow - Him or Sanchez needs to be traded for cap space. He is just easier to move.
    QB #3 Greg McElroy - Cut and replace with anyone else. A vet at min or a late rounder.

    RB #1 Shonn Greene - Let walk and trade for a RB
    RB #2 Bilal Powell - cut find a cheap replacement
    RB #3 Joe McKnight - Keep but look to replace.

    FB Lex Hiliard - I am fine with him.

    WR #1 Santonio Holmes - Try to trade to open up cap but don't just give away. We have good WRs now so he is expendable however.
    WR #2 Jeremy Kerley - Keep
    WR #3 Steven Hill - Keep
    WR #4 Chaz Schilens - Let walk replace with a ST/WR player to relieve Kerley there.
    WR #5 Clyde Gates - It is the 5th spot this is always an open comp not real worried here. I like Royce a lot though if he can stay healthy.

    TE #1 Dustin keller - keep if affordable. If not draft a 5th 6th rounder TE is not important enough to spend high picks or cap on.
    TE #2 Jeff Cumberland - cut draft a 5-6th rounder to replace
    TE #3 Konrad Reuland - keep

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mianus CT
    Posts
    7,722
    Yeah let's cut tebow based on him being used wrong. Some people are idiots you can't judge tebow this year he needs another year with a coach that doesn't have man love for players that suck.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Of everything you mentioned, I think the WR corps needs the least amount of tweaking. Holmes is back whether we like it or not, Kerley looks like a legitimate player (though not a star), and we have to hope that Hill can improve...I'm not quitting on this guy early; the physical tools are too hard to ignore, plus he's got a good attitude and work ethic. Gates will probably never amount to anything, but I'd rather roll with him and see what happens than waste money on a FA.
    So we're basically banking on that Hill makes a huge improvement next year and rely the most on Holmes?

    I don't know who will be available in FA, Trades, or the Draft next year but this team desperately needs a big #1 WR target. With Sanchez at QB or not.

    SOMEONE who the defense has to pay attention to constantly and can take over a game. Help take away coverages from Holmes and Kerley.
    How easy was it once defenses bumped our WR's? It was game over.

    Find any way to get that target. I would start Powell ahead of Greene. But continue to split the carries as they've done recently.

    The only MUST cut would be Tebow.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    Yeah let's cut tebow based on him being used wrong. Some people are idiots you can't judge tebow this year he needs another year with a coach that doesn't have man love for players that suck.
    They may as well cut him to free cap space if they are going to use him as they have used him. I was a supporter of having him on the team when they were talking about how he was to be used. They promptly miss used him from day one and since they anointed him the back up they can't make a QB change. Despite the ravings of some on this site he has value as a football player overall but if you are not going to use him properly he just takes up a spot.

  15. #15
    rule #1

    Before you cut anyone, make sure you have their replacement

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Jeremy Kerley is the guy I love from that group. I think he's got a high ceiling. Holmes has hit his ceiling IMO. I wouldn't be stepping over dead bodies to get to many on that list though.


    QB #2 Tim Tebow ---- NOPE
    QB #3 Greg McElroy ---- JAG

    RB #1 Shonn Greene --- JAG
    RB #2 Bilal Powell ---- too few flashes to know
    RB #3 Joe McKnight ---- Special teams

    FB Lex Hiliard --- fullbacks are a dime a dozen

    WR #1 Santonio Holmes --- attitude
    WR #2 Jeremy Kerley (Slot) ------ I'd go after Kerley
    WR #3 Steven Hill (Rookie) ------- everytime I see him,he's dropping something
    WR #4 Chaz Schilens ----- same thing as hill
    WR #5 Clyde Gates ------ special teams speed

    TE #1 Dustin keller ------ good but I think there are lots of good TEs around the league so not top dollars for him
    TE #2 Jeff Cumberland ---- know nothing about him
    TE #3 Konrad Reuland ---- know nothing about him

    KR Joe McKnight ---- already stated special teams
    PR Jeremey Kerley ----- again keeper
    Almost 100% in agreement other than give Mcknight more touches as RB.
    How are we not at the bottom of the league in Offense with that roster
    I cant believe there are other offenses worst than us! lol

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,926
    The issues on offense cannot be solved in one offseason, and the team's salary cap problems are going to to make it very difficult to make drastic changes in short order.

    With that said, I would not be surprised if three seasons from now the only remaining offensive players with significant roles are Mangold, Ferguson, Kerley, and Hill.

    Replacing Sanchez should be the top priority on offense. He plays the most important position in sports, and simply put, he's not good enough. The league is too fast and complicated for him. A change here can have a big trickle down effect on the rest of the offense and team.

    Greene should not be resigned under any circumstances, and Keller should only be resigned if he's willing to be paid like a bottom third, one dimensional TE.

    Tebow should be released, and he never should have been here in the first place.

    Holmes needs to be released due to his outrageous contract and negative influence on the team.

    The team needs to use the draft and sign middle tier free agents in an attempt to bring the unit to respectability. It's probably going to be a slow process, but with the right player under center, it may not take as long as it seems at this point.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,151
    Who goes?

    1. Teblow
    2. Teblow
    3-26 Teblow

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

  19. #19
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,215
    Honestly, I think our biggest problem in our running game may be having an inept RT the past 2 years. The rest of the line is comprised of average to elite lineman. Its not terrible to have an average Guard surrounded by an elite LT and Center, but it kind of hurts to have an average Guard next to a below average RT. Teams typically run behind their RT and the Jets simply don't have a competent one.

    Can they upgrade their RBs? Absolutely. But, if they dedicate themselves to using all 3 RBs they have now (assuming Greene is back), I don't think the RBs are holding them back. I wouldn't mind the Jets either drafting a RB or picking up a solid vet - but I think the line has more to do with the success of the running game rather than the RBs.

    Ditto on the WRs. If Holmes is back healthy, I think they pick up a mid level veteran to put into the mix with Holmes/Kerley/Hill. Hopefully Hill takes a step in the right direction, developmentally and learns how to catch. If he can do that, the Jets have some decent weapons at WR. Holmes, while being an ahole, is a legitimate NFL WR.

    IMO, the Jets success comes down to their line and QB. If they can improve at one or more line spots and get better QB play, this team can compete. At least to the point where the Offense can help out the defense rather than simply leaving them out to dry by coming up lame in the TOP and field position battles.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Who goes?

    1. Teblow
    2. Teblow
    3-26 Teblow

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Of course Tebow. Between his red zone ints, his ass-face fumbles, his bad decisions, and so on. How could you not want to cut him...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us