Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping Wine Gifts?...*****ES!!!!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Of course, it was addressed as "Dear Whitney".

I got "Dear Whitey", which, as you know, is bull.

-

Not all clients but the better ones, absolutely. The big problem though is that you have to remember what you got them and who you got for. Because, if you get someone a huge box of cookies every year and their kids are waiting for them, it looks really bad when you forget to get them something.

My firm has done business with folks in London for almost 100 years. During the war when there was a meat shortage in England, we apparently started a tradition of sending Xmas hams to our clients. Well, that tradition continued and still continues to this day. And once these mooches are on the ham list, you can't take them off. People remember that they're supposed to get a 15 lb friggin ham. So they keep getting them even when they retire. Apparently our ham bill is >$50k.

My local counsel in SF sent me a nice bottle of wine last year. Of course, it was addressed as "Dear Whitney". The wine store called me soon after and fell on the sword, but I wonder.
    Thanks crash. I guess I will reevaluate my personal gift-giving practices (and review my firm's reimbursement policies) in short order. The firm tends to push the holiday cards, but I always thought those were pretty lame.

Jets Insider VIP
    Not all clients but the better ones, absolutely. The big problem though is that you have to remember what you got them and who you got for. Because, if you get someone a huge box of cookies every year and their kids are waiting for them, it looks really bad when you forget to get them something.

My firm has done business with folks in London for almost 100 years. During the war when there was a meat shortage in England, we apparently started a tradition of sending Xmas hams to our clients. Well, that tradition continued and still continues to this day. And once these mooches are on the ham list, you can't take them off. People remember that they're supposed to get a 15 lb friggin ham. So they keep getting them even when they retire. Apparently our ham bill is >$50k.

My local counsel in SF sent me a nice bottle of wine last year. Of course, it was addressed as "Dear Whitney". The wine store called me soon after and fell on the sword, but I wonder.
    Lot of you on that list. Alot of you. Free Ham!!

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I got "Dear Whitey", which, as you know, is bull.

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Thanks crash. I guess I will reevaluate my personal gift-giving practices (and review my firm's reimbursement policies) in short order. The firm tends to push the holiday cards, but I always thought those were pretty lame.
    It becomes a pain in the ass. For years, I had the distinct pleasure of being in charge of the gifts, but thankfully, I dropped that job on the next man (chick actually) down a few years ago. I would bring that list into my bosses office and never fail to drop a snarky comment about whether he needed anything for his wife and kids.

My friend who deals with this crap now got a call from someone claiming to be her "personal cookie shopper" from Ms. fields. FML.

All League

So your name isn't Whitney?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    Lot of you on that list. Alot of you. Free Ham!!
    Where does one go to get this free ham?

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post

Is this "client gift" thingie a common practice? Do you send them to all clients or just certain ones? What determines who gets one and who doesn't?

I don't think I've ever sent a client a gift before but I'm wondering now if maybe I should? Any guidance?
    I'm a one man operation with only 8-15 clients at any one time. I never see my clients face to face (despite what 32doosh says) and its usually one person at each company that decides if I get work or not so its worth it. I usually have a dollar figure in mind as a cut off. If someone gives me $10,000 a $80 gift is nothing but they really appreciate it.

Of course companies usually have rules in place about gifts so you have to comply.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    Oh that's rich coming from you. Nobody should have answered your question. You're lucky I was preoccupied.
    I was feeling bad about splooging all over the Israli doc's pics you sent me after she dumped you.

Now? Meh.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    So your name isn't Whitney?

Not since thurs nites at the ramalama ding dong during the 80s. Good times, though my feet still smart from the 5 inch heels.

All League
    Not since thurs nites at the ramalama ding dong during the 80s. Good times, though my feet still smart from the 5 inch heels.
    Try cutting off your small toe. That should help.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Try cutting off your small toe. That should help.
    LOL, well played good man.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    I'm a one man operation with only 8-15 clients at any one time. I never see my clients face to face
    so you're a professional glory hole operator? must be fascinating work.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    so you're a professional glory hole operator? must be fascinating work.

picking the right smiley face can be all the difference

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Need to send some decent wine to AZ for a client gift.

Anyone have a good source?
    https://winelibrary.com/
    The owner is Gary Vaynerchuck, he used to post on here, huge Jets Fan.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by stagman View Post
    https://winelibrary.com/
    The owner is Gary Vaynerchuck, he used to post on here, huge Jets Fan.
    just to be clear

and to give credit where credit is due...his stock has risen here
    Last edited by Timmy®; 12-03-2012 at 09:50 AM.