Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 165

Thread: Jets OL coach says Vlad/Slauson rotation was ORDERED FROM ORGANIZATION

  1. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Ok then.
    Your edited post:

    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Define "many" and "platoon".

    Guys get replaced for poor performance or injury. Continuity is essential for an OL.



    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...1.html?refer=y
    Vikings' platoon at guard is still evolving

    Article by: DAN WIEDERER , Star Tribune
    Updated: November 28, 2012 - 9:41 PM

    Brandon Fusco remains the starter on the right side, but backup Geoff Schwartz is beginning to get more reps.




    http://host.madison.com/sports/footb...871e3ce6c.html
    Packers notes: Sherrod platoons at left tackle


    GREEN BAY — The Packers gave first-round draft pick Derek Sherrod his first extended playing time in more than two months, using him at left tackle for nearly half of Sunday's 46-16 victory against the Raiders.

    It came a week after Marshall Newhouse struggled against the New York Giants and suggests that coach Mike McCarthy might be unhappy with how Newhouse has performed in relief of Chad Clifton, who has been out since the Oct. 9 game at Atlanta because a torn hamstring.

    Sherrod, who last played meaningful snaps against the Falcons, came into the game at the start of the second quarter. He played part of one series before Newhouse finished the half. Sherrod then returned at the start of the third quarter and played the entire second half at left tackle.

    Newhouse's only playing time in the second half came at right guard on the final series, when all the Packers had to do was take a knee to run out the clock. On that final series, right guard Evan Dietrich-Smith moved over to center.

    "Derek Sherrod and Marshall and Dietrich(-Smith), we've been working that rotation really for two weeks," McCarthy said. "We went exclusively with Marshall and Dietrich(-Smith) up in New York, but we felt it was important to get all three of those guys in the different combinations we've been working into this game. We were able to accomplish that."



    http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012...n-andy-levitre


    Buffalo Bills' Offensive Line Off To A Hot Start


    The Buffalo Bills have a rookie left tackle and are rotating two players at right tackle. The unit is hardly star-studded, yet through two games in the 2012 season, Buffalo's offensive line has been lights out.

    Buffalo currently leads the NFL in rushing offense, averaging 198 yards per game - blowing the No. 2 Miami Dolphins out by an average of 27 yards per contest. C.J. Spiller, who has 292 rushing yards at over 10 yards per carry, is the NFL's leading individual rusher.


    I understand what you are saying about continuity and I agree with the general belief. That said, I think you can platoon 2 guys and be successful with it. Now, I wouldn't be swapping guys in every other play, or switching guys all around, like from left tackle, to right guard, then over to right tackle, etc. The "platooning" has to be very limited in focus, of that, I would definitely agree.

    Funny and ironic thing is that back in the preseason, I talked about the continuity of the oline and how they couldn't really gel as guys were being moved all around and swapped between first and second teams.
    Last edited by Demosthenes9; 12-01-2012 at 12:14 AM.

  2. #142
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    15,130
    Not a big Mangini fan but this is why his media policy was spot on. Interviews are generally a farce but let one person do all the talking so it dosen't become a ****show.

  3. #143
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Your edited post:

    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...1.html?refer=y

    http://host.madison.com/sports/footb...871e3ce6c.html

    http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012...n-andy-levitre

    I understand what you are saying about continuity and I agree with the general belief. That said, I think you can platoon 2 guys and be successful with it. Now, I wouldn't be swapping guys in every other play, or switching guys all around, like from left tackle, to right guard, then over to right tackle, etc. The "platooning" has to be very limited in focus, of that, I would definitely agree.

    Funny and ironic thing is that back in the preseason, I talked about the continuity of the oline and how they couldn't really gel as guys were being moved all around and swapped between first and second teams.
    All the examples you gave were teams that had issues in the OL. Whether it was injuries or poor performance.

    Fusco was being replaced for performance reasons. I don't follow the Vikings so I don't know if the player they are replacing him with has been doing better or not but I am sure once they find out who their best option is they will stick with it.

    Packers have an awful OL. Rodgers has been the most sacked QB in the NFL over the past few years. They were also dealing with injuries last season at the time of the article.

    And the Buffalo article is from week 2. Glenn was also injured early in the season and I think they shuffled some guys around. Also their rushing stats were skewed at the time b.c Spiller had a huge first two weeks including that game against us in Week 1. But Buffalo's OL has been good this year. Glenn has been very good in the games I watched him. I think they have found their starters now.

    If the Jets are trying to see someone emerge as the starter that is one thing. And the best time for that would have been camp. But now every indication is that Ducasse is being forced into playing and that he may have not earned the opportunity. There is no chance that Vlad can beat out Slauson. So by playing him it is hurting the team. Those teams you listed were trying to help their teams by finding a better player or someone to fill in. It is Week 11 now, the Jets should know who the better player is and stick with him.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 12-01-2012 at 12:39 AM.

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    All the examples you gave were teams that had issues in the OL. Whether it was injuries or poor performance.

    Fusco was being replaced for performance reasons. I don't follow the Vikings so I don't know if the player they are replacing him with has been doing better or not but I am sure once they find out who their best option is they will stick with it.

    Packers have an awful OL. Rodgers has been the most sacked QB in the NFL over the past few years. They were also dealing with injuries last season at the time of the article.

    And the Buffalo article is from week 2. Glenn was also injured early in the season and I think they shuffled some guys around. Also their rushing stats were skewed at the time b.c Spiller had a huge first two weeks including that game against us in Week 1. But Buffalo's OL has been good this year. Glenn has been very good in the games I watched him. I think they have found their starters now.

    If the Jets are trying to see someone emerge as the starter that is one thing. And the best time for that would have been camp. But now every indication is that Ducasse is being forced into playing and that he may have not earned the opportunity. There is no chance that Vlad can beat out Slauson. So by playing him it is hurting the team. Those teams you listed were trying to help their teams by finding a better player or someone to fill in. It is Week 11 now, the Jets should know who the better player is and stick with him.

    Bwahahahahha, that's funny. You DON'T think that the Jets have issues with the Oline ?? That's one of the very reasons to go with a platoon system. Another reason is to groom a player for the following season. You know, when you will probably be losing one of the starters. Maybe you'd prefer to say F'it and let them wait until training camp ? Yet another reason is just to give one of your weakest starters a little bit of a break/rest in the game as just like the defense, offensive linemen tire and breakdown as the game goes along.

    Really, the only time you wouldn't platoon in some fashion is when you are very solid with all 5 guys across the front and you pretty much know for sure that you will be keeping them all as starters the next season.

    Hell, the Houston Texans use a rotation on their offensive line, and I'm pretty sure they have one of the best running games in the NFL.


    Texans using bye to evaluate offensive line rotations

    The Texans have been using rotations at right guard and right tackle. They’ll use the bye week to determine whether they’ll continue to do so in the second half of the season.

    Rookie Ben Jones has rotated with fourth-year veteran Antoine Caldwell at right guard. Caldwell started the first six games until Jones, a fourth-round draft pick who played center at Georgia, started in Week 7. Second-year pro Derek Newton has started every game at right tackle, rotating every third or fourth series with fifth-year pro Ryan Harris since Week 3.

  5. #145
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,744
    Demo you are not seeing the difference between our situation and everyone else's. Vlad hasn't earned it. And if we had competent coaches he wouldn't be here next year. This is a personal issue for Tanny that has effected the team. The deck is rigged FOR Vlad and he still can't start.

    My point was that our OL is improved over last year. None of them need to be replaced in-season. Our OL has not been the problem with our offense in 2012.

  6. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    But now every indication is that Ducasse is being forced into playing and that he may have not earned the opportunity.
    And no, not "every indication is that Ducasse is being forced into playing". That's far from truthful. The only thing that gives that indication is what Guglielmo said at the press conference.

  7. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Demo you are not seeing the difference between our situation and everyone else's. Vlad hasn't earned it. And if we had competent coaches he wouldn't be here next year. This is a personal issue for Tanny that has effected the team. The deck is rigged FOR Vlad and he still can't start.

    My point was that our OL is improved over last year. None of them need to be replaced in-season. Our OL has not been the problem with our offense in 2012.
    Our offensive line SUCKS this year DDNY. If you say it's an improvement, so be it, but it SUCKS. Even Mangold has looked bad.

    I understand that you believe it to be a personal issue with Tanny. I'll even leave room for the idea that you could be right.

    BUT, it's also entirely possible that they are trying to give Ducasse some playing time so that he can improve for next year. Contrary to what some have said, others have the opinion that Ducasse has actually done better than Slauson when it comes to run blocking.

    Maybe it's that I'm new here and I'm not so jaded ? But, if I see valid "football reasons" for something, I'm not going to just simply conclude that it's some conspiracy by Tanny, or Rex, or Woody.

    Rex and Tanny are in charge of the team. They have to do what's best in the short run, BUT, they also have to do what's best in the long run. DeGuglielmo has to worry about his year.

    Can you see where Guge's might be a bit short sighted here ? That he's not worried about developing anyone for next year given that he might not even be here ?

    The really ironic thing here is that one of the biggest gripes spoken on this message board is the fact that we have NO DEPTH to speak of at key positions. Here we have a situation where Rex, the head coach, has made a decision that would help address DEPTH, you know, actually developing a player, and he's getting ripped for it.

    Hell, I don't even like Rex that much but I'll certainly step in and defend him on this one.


    One other thing. HELL YES, our Oline has been a HUGE problem this year. It's probably one of the top 2 problems, the other being the play from our QB.

  8. #148
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    And no, not "every indication is that Ducasse is being forced into playing". That's far from truthful. The only thing that gives that indication is what Guglielmo said at the press conference.
    Are you going to challenge me on all of my slight hyperbole?

    How about this for indications.

    Vlad has sucked since the day he got here. Half of what Rex says is BS so I don't care if he praises Vlad. And for an OL coach to come out and say something like that is alarming. He was basically telling everyone that it isn't his fault Vlad is playing. Basically cleansing his hands of the situation.

  9. #149
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Our offensive line SUCKS this year DDNY. If you say it's an improvement, so be it, but it SUCKS. Even Mangold has looked bad.

    I understand that you believe it to be a personal issue with Tanny. I'll even leave room for the idea that you could be right.

    BUT, it's also entirely possible that they are trying to give Ducasse some playing time so that he can improve for next year. Contrary to what some have said, others have the opinion that Ducasse has actually done better than Slauson when it comes to run blocking.

    Maybe it's that I'm new here and I'm not so jaded ? But, if I see valid "football reasons" for something, I'm not going to just simply conclude that it's some conspiracy by Tanny, or Rex, or Woody.

    Rex and Tanny are in charge of the team. They have to do what's best in the short run, BUT, they also have to do what's best in the long run. DeGuglielmo has to worry about his year.

    Can you see where Guge's might be a bit short sighted here ? That he's not worried about developing anyone for next year given that he might not even be here ?

    The really ironic thing here is that one of the biggest gripes spoken on this message board is the fact that we have NO DEPTH to speak of at key positions. Here we have a situation where Rex, the head coach, has made a decision that would help address DEPTH, you know, actually developing a player, and he's getting ripped for it.

    Hell, I don't even like Rex that much but I'll certainly step in and defend him on this one.


    One other thing. HELL YES, our Oline has been a HUGE problem this year. It's probably one of the top 2 problems, the other being the play from our QB.
    Fair enough. We see it differently. I do not think the Jets are always concerned with what is best for football.

    No use in continuing this. We agree on some things but on the others I will respectfully disagree.

    We will see what happens. I am sure this team will give us plenty to discuss for the remainder of the season.

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Are you going to challenge me on all of my slight hyperbole?

    How about this for indications.

    Vlad has sucked since the day he got here. Half of what Rex says is BS so I don't care if he praises Vlad. And for an OL coach to come out and say something like that is alarming. He was basically telling everyone that it isn't his fault Vlad is playing. Basically cleansing his hands of the situation.

    If you are going to try and use that hyperbole to try and make your case, yeah, I am. Additionally, I'd question your definition of "slight"


    What is alarming to me is that an assistant coach is stupid enough to call out his HC and throw him under the bus. He's lucky that Rex is his boss. If I were, he'd have been escorted out of the building and someone else would go through the trouble of packing his bags for him.

    Another thing is that I flat out question Guge's judgment and his ability to evaluate personnel. Last I heard from him, he was saying this kind of stuff about Wayne Hunter:

    "Until they tell me otherwise and until they ship him out of this building or until they shoot me dead in my office, that son of a gun is going to be my starting right tackle,"
    "I'm telling you, this guy has skills."
    "He's a warrior. They strap shields to this guy and put him in the Coliseum."

  11. #151
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,682
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Are you going to challenge me on all of my slight hyperbole?

    How about this for indications.

    Vlad has sucked since the day he got here. Half of what Rex says is BS so I don't care if he praises Vlad. And for an OL coach to come out and say something like that is alarming. He was basically telling everyone that it isn't his fault Vlad is playing. Basically cleansing his hands of the situation.
    Vlad sucked the day he got here, but if you think he does now at guard then you just really don't know what you're watching. Sorry, but he's played at least as well as Slauson, and his upside is much greater. The offense has not suffered at all with him in compared to Slauson. I'm just using the facts instead of emotions to rate their play.

  12. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Fair enough. We see it differently. I do not think the Jets are always concerned with what is best for football.

    No use in continuing this. We agree on some things but on the others I will respectfully disagree.

    We will see what happens. I am sure this team will give us plenty to discuss for the remainder of the season.

    Fair enough. And yeah, I completely agree that there will be PLENTY of stuff to go round and round about.

  13. #153
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    The situation in the interview is completely blown out of proportion. The reporters were asking question after question about the rotation and Rex said "I don't know WHY YOU CAN'T ROTATE OFFENSIVE LINEMEN". He never said that he think more teams in the league should do it or something like that. He was only saying that there is nothing wrong there with a rotation, thus making his comments look much more reasonable...

  14. #154
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,294
    Nothing New out here Tanny and the Jets played this tune before..

    Adrian Clarke anyone...

  15. #155
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    And no, not "every indication is that Ducasse is being forced into playing". That's far from truthful. The only thing that gives that indication is what Guglielmo said at the press conference.
    Obviously you do not watch the games or if you did you must be looking at the other team getting sacks! Vlad is laughable in the passing game. He is OK in the run game but seldom gets to the second level. He could not beat out Slauson in preseason even though Tannybum and Wrecks gave him the opportunity. They dumped on Slauson and the OL coach told us who the better player is yet some here think its OK to platoon Vlad and Slauson. I wonder if the OL coach that sees them every day compete for the job might have better information then we do? IF they were equals i could possibly agree with a platoon because Slauson will not be here next year. Not with the way he has been treated with a pay cut and now this garbage by WRECKS. . So you are supporting a weaker player against a better player for the sake of what?
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 12-01-2012 at 08:27 AM.

  16. #156
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,707
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Vlad sucked the day he got here, but if you think he does now at guard then you just really don't know what you're watching. Sorry, but he's played at least as well as Slauson, and his upside is much greater. The offense has not suffered at all with him in compared to Slauson. I'm just using the facts instead of emotions to rate their play.
    Please apply for the OL job with the Jest! You apparently know more about the players performance then the current OL coach does. He strongly disagreees with your assessment founded on your limited ability to judge the players based on viewing TV during a game while his judgement is merely based on first hand knowledge in games, practice and training!!! Yes! The Jest go on!

    Facts? Suckchez' stats showed he had a good game against the Patriots! The real facts are that we lost and he was laughable. Stats or facts can be made to do what the author wants them to do.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 12-01-2012 at 08:36 AM.

  17. #157
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,707
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Are you going to challenge me on all of my slight hyperbole?

    How about this for indications.

    Vlad has sucked since the day he got here. Half of what Rex says is BS so I don't care if he praises Vlad. And for an OL coach to come out and say something like that is alarming. He was basically telling everyone that it isn't his fault Vlad is playing. Basically cleansing his hands of the situation.
    I disagree with you in that MOST of what WRECKS says is BS.

  18. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Please apply for the OL job with the Jest! You apparently know more about the players performance then the current OL coach does. He strongly disagreees with your assessment founded on your limited ability to judge the players based on viewing TV during a game while his judgement is merely based on first hand knowledge in games, practice and training!!! Yes! The Jest go on!

    Facts? Suckchez' stats showed he had a good game against the Patriots! The real facts are that we lost and he was laughable. Stats or facts can be made to do what the author wants them to do.
    The same OL coach who was praising Hunter all spring?

    And since you visit Tony's Draft site do you remember Tony telling the story how Callahan was all in on selecting Ducasse then once he became a Jet soured on him and basically ignored him the past 2 seasons? Just another fine example of lack of development by the Jets.

    And as someone above perfectly stated, all this board and the media complain about is the lack of depth. So now we have an example of the Jets trying to: 1) DEVELOP a player and 2) create depth...Halleluiah!!!! What a novel idea...Maybe it turns out Vlad isn't a NFL OG but at least we'll know.

    I'll ask again....1) Does anyone notice when Ducasse is in? 2) Is there a dropoff in the OL and O's play when he is in? 3) Do all the critics understand its every 3 series or so, not every or every other play?

    I'm guessing the majority of people will answer "No" for the above 3 questions.

  19. #159
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Please apply for the OL job with the Jest! You apparently know more about the players performance then the current OL coach does. He strongly disagreees with your assessment founded on your limited ability to judge the players based on viewing TV during a game while his judgement is merely based on first hand knowledge in games, practice and training!!! Yes! The Jest go on!

    Facts? Suckchez' stats showed he had a good game against the Patriots! The real facts are that we lost and he was laughable. Stats or facts can be made to do what the author wants them to do.
    How would you know?

  20. #160
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Nothing New out here Tanny and the Jets played this tune before..

    Adrian Clarke anyone...
    uh, aren't they trying to prevent this by seeing if they have a replacement, if needed??

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us