Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets OL coach says Vlad/Slauson rotation was ORDERED FROM ORGANIZATION

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    the jets have two FA guards next season... the reason vlad is getting burn is so that they can find out if vlad can handle playing LG at an NFL level. it's that simple. is he better than slauson? probably not right now, but you need to know these things going into the offseason so you know who you need to bring back
    Don't bother

I just hope the bandwagon unloads after this season, some of these fans... , holy crap!

Look, there are 2 seperate things going on here.

1. No Oline coach decides who plays and who doesnt, he is very far down the pecking order when it comes to what guys are on the field. Of course "it would come from a higher up" that Vlad needs to be rotated.

2. The problem here is that this is indicative of the lack of dicipline in the organization, and its not just the players anymore. Starting with the Strength coach tripping a player on the sideline, all Duge did here is throw rex under the bus for his own gain, which is unacceptable.

The NFL doesnt work when you are everyones best friend, there isnt a player or employee in the organization with any fear of repercusions if they do something wrong. Its a disgrace

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

1. No Oline coach decides who plays and who doesnt, he is very far down the pecking order when it comes to what guys are on the field. Of course "it would come from a higher up" that Vlad needs to be rotated.

2. The problem here is that this is indicative of the lack of dicipline in the organization, and its not just the players anymore. Starting with the Strength coach tripping a player on the sideline, all Duge did here is throw rex under the bus for his own gain, which is unacceptable.

The NFL doesnt work when you are everyones best friend, there isnt a player or employee in the organization with any fear of repercusions if they do something wrong. Its a disgrace
    This. Every player and coach has to believe the HC will demote/cut/or fire him if he is not getting the job done. No one fears Rex. Hell, even Dick Vermeil was willing to cut players and fire coaches ... he cried while he did it, but he at least understood that the mantle of leadership brings with it obligations to the team as a whole that trumps any personal relationship.

Unless you're Greg McElroy.

All League
    It boils down to different incentives. The OLine coach is incentivized to produce the best possible offensive line possible in 2012. If he has a great offensive line, he is more likely to work his way up the chain (QB coach? Offensive Coordinator?) in subsequent years.

The GM/Owner are incentivized to produce a long-term winner. This involves figuring out if Ducasse was worth the investment and if he's capable of starting in future years.

OL Coach = short term horizon
    GM/Owner = long term horizon

Conclusion: Who cares what Gug has to say?

Hot garbage has to be one of the gayest sayings ever.

Agree 100%. The OL coach has the job of teaching and correcting his personnnel. The HC makes all final decisions on playing. He can make a recomendation. Perhaps a higher up in certain organiztions (Jerry Jones ) gets involved.
    Duge should speak to the media without being a cancer to the team. He is another buffoon in an organization full of buffoons running the show.
    That said, the Jets close out 5-0 with the weakest last 5 opponents in memory. (I don't drink KoolAid BTW) - LOL

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    I know you are a Tebow guy, so you know nothing about this team prior to Denver trading your boy to us. But even last year there were reports about the coaches hinting that they were trying to boost some players' stats (making Sanchez force passes to Plaxico or Tone).

Now this stuff comes out about forcing a coach to give Vlad playing time when he doesn't deserve it. It's a recurring pattern. Whether it is Rex or Tanny, both are complicit, so both should be held accountable.

Fire them both.
    I'm pretty sure the head coach decides who will play on most teams. You'd rather have the oline coach decide who's playing? I guess it's the LB coach that decides when to sub in LBs too then?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Hot garbage has to be one of the gayest sayings ever.
    I agree. Worse than that it's nasty transvestite queen gay. I have no idea how that caught on, but it's stupid, and anytime you see that word in a thread it's obviously someone that knows nothing about the player, or he would give the details, not a retarded blanket statement.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree. But Tanny is worse than Rex IMO. Flexing his muscles and trying to save face by forcing a player he picked from his alma mater into the rotation. And yet he missed on the Holy Grail on UMASS players.
    That to me is the true indictment on Tanny... he missed on Cruz AND took Ducasse in the 2nd round... BOth from UMASS which did not have a player drafted that high since 1968...

April 23, 2010

STAMFORD, Conn. - UMass All-American offensive lineman Vladimir Ducasse was selected by the New York Jets in the second round with the 61st overall selection of the 2010 NFL Draft on Friday night. Ducasse and his family and friends celebrated at Morton's Steakhouse in his adopted hometown of Stamford, Conn. UMass football coaches Kevin Morris, Brian Picucci and Guido Falbo were on hand to join in the joyous occasion.

He joins fellow UMass alum safety James Ihedigbo with the Jets. The team's general manager, the man who called Ducasse to inform the team of his selection is also a UMass alum, Mike Tannenbaum.

"I'm happy, I'm very excited," he said tonight on a conference call with reporters. "The Jets are a good team. My family will be coming to watch my first game. I'm very excited."

"I feel like I'm still a student of the game, still learning," he said. "From last year until now, I feel like I learned a lot from that. From the Senior Bowl, I learned a lot from that."

Ducasse, a Haitian native, never played football until coming over to the United States and participating on Stamford High School's team. While also excelling on the basketball court and in track and field, Ducasse started the final 20 games of his high school career and earned Connecticut all-state first-team honors from the Connecticut High School Coaches Association.

Even though he was a college tackle, some have projected Ducasse as a guard on the next level. At the Indy combine, he ran a 5.21 in the 40-yard dash and had 29 reps on the 225-bench press.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I agree. Worse than that it's nasty transvestite queen gay. I have no idea how that caught on, but it's stupid, and anytime you see that word in a thread it's obviously someone that knows nothing about the player, or he would give the details, not a retarded blanket statement.
    The term is a bastardization of "hot mess", which is most often used amongst those in the pseudo-news business (think E! shows like Fashion Police), "reality" based TV programs, The View/The Talk, or shoppers/diners in San Francisco's Castro District.

Rex needs to fire Guges!
    Let Sparano do it all regarding the offence.

Where does it end with this team?
    I would not be surprised to see this guy fired.
    What leader lets the grunts throw them under the bus?

Great post Eagle, right on the money, Im not surprised

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    On what planet is this acceptable for a professional organization?

I mean.. I don't know what sickens me more - the fact that Tanny (and/or Rex) is demanding Ducasse get playing time even though it's apparently undeserved, or the fact that Rex has no control over even his coaches, who apparently have no issues with throwing them under the bus to the press.
    On what planet is it acceptable for a head coach to make a personnel decision?

Unheard of! What is Rex thinking!!?!?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Don't bother

I just hope the bandwagon unloads after this season, some of these fans... , holy crap!

All the bandwagoners jumped off at halftime of the 2010 AFC Championshp game chooch.

the jets have two FA guards next season... the reason vlad is getting burn is so that they can find out if vlad can handle playing LG at an NFL level. it's that simple. is he better than slauson? probably not right now, but you need to know these things going into the offseason so you know who you need to bring back
    +1

Playing Vlad now is clearly helpful to the future of the team. A logical team would keep *either* Slauson or Vlad for next year - and only by playing Vlad will we be able to find out. Our cap situation next year is not good - and it would be nice if we could save money and let Slauson walk and start Vlad.

I just hope that the decision made at the end of the year is objective.

Maybe Rex wanted to develop a talented high draft pick like Ducasse instead of having a extremely below average player like Slauson get all the playing time?

Didn't we want rex to be more involved in the offense?

This. There are times organizations start players in an attempt to develop them. However, i wouldn't put it past Tanny to force Vlad into the lineup in an attempt to justify his selection. With that said, I have not noticed much of a drop off when Vlad is in for Slausson.

Either way, it does seem like Rex has zero contrl of his players or coaches.

Hall Of Fame
    Homers, there is a difference between playing a guy to get him ready and FORCING him into a rotation which he has not earned or is even ready for.

It hurts the team. There is not a team in history that rotates OL. A good OL needs continuity and communication. That is a fact.

Enough is enough now. Vlad is done or at least he should be. Perhaps Tanny/Rex will force him into the starting lineup next year at the expense of the team. But that will be more about them being clueless than being right.

The OL coach doesn't care if he gets fired over it b.c he knows that on his next interview he has the excuse of his bosses forcing his hand against the best interests of the team. No coach worth his salt would want to work under those conditions.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    On what planet is it acceptable for a head coach to make a personnel decision?

Unheard of! What is Rex thinking!!?!?

if you don't think that there's an organizational problem when our OL coach spouts off to the media about being forced to play a player who he thinks doesn't deserve to play, then we we have an issue.

Everyone knows that they're trying to groom Ducasse to be a starting OG in 2013 since Moore and Slauson are FAs. That's not the issue. The issues are this:

1) We have an organization where it's apparently okay to throw other players and coaches under the bus in the press

2) Apparently, at least in the OL coach's eyes, Ducasse does not deserve the playing time... meaning this is a complete 'save their faces' move on the part of Rex and Tanny. It would be different if Ducasse had earned some time and had shown some life.. but at least according to his coach, he hasn't.

Now, does that mean the Ducasse sucks? I don't know. I'd be interested in seeing some breakdown #s. What I do know is that it doesn't look good when your position coach comes out and says that you do not deserve to play. (and as for ray ray blaming this on the media...... good gawd)
    Last edited by shuler82; 11-30-2012 at 11:56 AM.