Thread: Yankes Martin to Pirates

Yankes Martin to Pirates

Rosenthal: Pirates to sign Russell Martin
    By Mike Axisa
    8:40pm: David Waldstein says itís a two-year, $17M deal. Hard to believe the Yankees didnít match that. Jon Heyman says they only offered two years at $12-14M.

8:29pm: The Yankees will have a new starting catcher next season. Ken Rosenthal reports that Russell Martin has agreed to sign with the Pirates, though the contract terms are unknown. The Pittsburgh Pirates outbid the New York Yankees for a free agent. Ainít that something

Hall Of Fame
    I liked Martin but I can't kill the Yanks either.

Good luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Good luck to him.
    Same here

A,J Pynski...I know I butched his last name.Left handed bat with some pop.
    May be worth a look

Not an AJ Pierzynski fan

Do the Yanks find out if the Romine is ready?

Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    Same here

A,J Pynski...I know I butched his last name.Left handed bat with some pop.
    May be worth a look
    Yankees don't like him

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post
    Yankees don't like him
    Cause of his attitude? I think as a 1-2 year stop gap till Romine or Sanchez are ready might be ok

Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    Cause of his attitude? I think as a 1-2 year stop gap till Romine or Sanchez are ready might be ok
    Not good behind the dish.
    Last edited by 21st Amendment; 11-29-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Pierzynski on the same roster as ARod?

Jesus. Would you let you people let your toddler play with hydrochloric acid?

All League
    Buccos!!!!

Martin was one of the worst hitters in baseball last years. Yankees apparently didn't even make an offer.

The Yankees have to bring up all their young guys already., cashman leaves them to die down there as he gives out contracts to average to below average players on the free agent market. Build a dynasty by developing a new core.'

I thought that catcher was the strength of the Yanks farm system. They will miss Martin's defense, though, and he did get alot of clutch hits. They will have to bring in a vet to catch the Geritol pitching staff, though, because it would be too much to dump on a young guy.

With the 2014 payroll goal of $189 mill just around the corner, I doubt they want to put much $ into catcher. Yanks have Chris Stewart, Cervelli, Romine and recently-signed Eli Whiteside. I doubt Romine is ready this year. Maybe a mix of the other three or 1 yr deals on guys like Shoppach, Torrealba or Olivo. something like that. Then in 2014, when the Yanks are cutting payroll and beginning the, ahem, rebuilding process, Romine will be the starter. My 2 cent

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Good luck to him.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    With the 2014 payroll goal of $189 mill just around the corner, I doubt they want to put much $ into catcher. Yanks have Chris Stewart, Cervelli, Romine and recently-signed Eli Whiteside. I doubt Romine is ready this year. Maybe a mix of the other three or 1 yr deals on guys like Shoppach, Torrealba or Olivo. something like that. Then in 2014, when the Yanks are cutting payroll and beginning the, ahem, rebuilding process, Romine will be the starter. My 2 cent
    Eli Whiteside was DFA when we re-signed Andy Pettitte. Whiteside was just picked up on waivers by the Blue Jays.