Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why would any good GM want this job?

this thread is cracking me up. apparently, from alot of comments, the "good" GM job is the easy one. the one with the fewest obstacles. the one with the easiest path to success without having to put much work into it. jebus. whatever happened to hard work? those guys, the ones who aren't scared of a challenge, are the ones the Jets need to get after. but, whatever, Tanny is still the GM anyway.

the Jets, with all their problems, could still end up with 9 wins (ok, most likely 8). yes, toughest job ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    this thread is cracking me up. apparently, from alot of comments, the "good" GM job is the easy one. the one with the fewest obstacles. the one with the easiest path to success without having to put much work into it. jebus. whatever happened to hard work? those guys, the ones who aren't scared of a challenge, are the ones the Jets need to get after. but, whatever, Tanny is still the GM anyway.

the Jets, with all their problems, could still end up with 9 wins (ok, most likely 8). yes, toughest job ever.
    The only thing bad about this is the perception that Woody gets involved in Football decisions and not just operations.

The jets have a legitimate shot at 9-7, if that occurs it would force the GM to keep the HC for a year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post

The owner is not bad. He stays out of the way and spends money. I don't believe for a second he told them to get Tebow. That was all Tanny. The players are not bad. We are lacking in key positions, but we do have a good core group to build around. The biggest problem with this job is as evidenced by this thread is the fans, and the local media. Any potential GM could just read this website and realize he'd be crazy to take the job. So now what we get is anyone smart enough to do the job, would be smart enough to want no part of it, and it's all because of the SOJFs. They changed the culture of the team, but they never were able to change the culture of the fans.

people sht on Woody and act as if he's pulling ALL the strings. I really don't think the guy knows the difference between a guard and a tackle. A few years back I remember him saying "made a touchdown" for crying out loud.

I'm sure when the name "Tebow" came up, he certainly had some say, but he's not telling Tanny and Rex to sign Calvin Pace or draft Vlad Ducasse. Everyone here seems to think he is so meddlesome and involved in personnel decisions. I just don't see the proof that he is. He likes his team to be talked about on TV. How does this make him a shtty owner? Come on Jets fans.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    If I can make it there, I'll make it ANYWHERE!
    Wouldn't you want to be the GM that brought a Superbowl after 40 some odd years?
    Need a coach like Tomlin first, then draft like crazy.
    Tomlin = The Anti Rex
    Sits players that fumble, Sits WR that *****es, Tomlin is THE MAN, luv that guy, (no homo)
    Tomlin is bad ass. A true professional IMO. Fck pittsburgh tho.

Honestly,

If the Jets hired a new GM, it wouldnt be so shocking if they kept Rex.

Why? Well. They are totally handcuffed at QB. They could draft one, but no one looks like they are first round grade (though who knows what actually happens between now and then). And they are already spending $15.5M at QB next season, so trading for a guy like Matt Flynn seems unlikely.

As it stands, they could rework some contracts and make changes, but as of now assuming guys like Pace, Scott, and Smiths get cut, they are about $15M - $20M under before draft picks, and have something like 39 - 40 people on the roster. Guys like Greene, Keller, Moore, and a bunch of other starters have their contract end in 2012.

In some cases, the Jets could have guys step up (Cumberland for Keller, Davis for Scott, etc) but they will have to sign some players too. Now they could sign big name guys, or they can essentially "see what they have" and retool completely for 2014, once they are free of Holmes, Sanchez, and either Revis or Cromartie (both won't be back for 2014). With that in mind, and no new young QB (they could sign a Jason Campbell style holdover for 2013) and an acknowledgement that the Jets do have a lack of talent, it's not impossible that Rex stays on for 2013 to "prove his worth".

The sooner the Jets retool scouting, GM, and general management the better, IMO. I haven't totally given up on Rex as a coach, but, if he was fired, I wouldn't be pained either.

As for "Why would any good GM want this job". The simple answer as others have stated. There are only 32 jobs like it, and it's among the most visible in the NFL. Also, while the QB situation stinks,the cap situation is only bad next season, and if the Jets are rebuilding anyhow, 2013 isn't going to be a SB season and the cap situation allows the Jets to play a lot of young players and still gives the GM room to fail in 2013.