Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 66

Thread: Why would any good GM want this job?

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    very desirable? I want to hear your case.
    They had the #1 pick in a draft with the best QB to come out of college in 20 years.

    They happen to have a LT that probably can be the cornerstone of the oline and protect said QBs blindside for 10 years.

    They have $14 million of cap room coming available with freeneys contract expiring but also have an above average pass rusher in Mathis signed to a relatively decent contract.

    They have hardly ANY dead weight contracts or locker room cancers.

    Lastly, any GM will be given at least 3 years before he is judged considering how little talent he came into. So he can take his STAR rookie

    Pretty much one of the best opportunities around.

  2. #42
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    31,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The only way I can see the current coaches stick around would be if Tebow was going to be handed the reins for next year.

    Woody could tell them all they have one last shot but build an offense around tebow.


    If thats not the plan, all these guys are toast. you cant sell the fanbase on Rex/Sanchez again. Nobody would watch go to the games.
    There is no way that is going to happen. No GM is going to do that, or draft players specifically to fit Tebows offense. You'll never get any skill positions to ever come here - or want to stay - period.

  3. #43
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    31,660
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    They had the #1 pick in a draft with the best QB to come out of college in 20 years.

    They happen to have a LT that probably can be the cornerstone of the oline and protect said QBs blindside for 10 years.

    They have $14 million of cap room coming available with freeneys contract expiring but also have an above average pass rusher in Mathis signed to a relatively decent contract.

    They have hardly ANY dead weight contracts or locker room cancers.

    Lastly, any GM will be given at least 3 years before he is judged considering how little talent he came into. So he can take his STAR rookie

    Pretty much one of the best opportunities around.

    Not to mention no real pressure.
    The number one draw in Indianapolis isnt the Colts, its basketball.

  4. #44
    The SOJF cocktail of self inflicted depression, schadenfreude and impatience continues.

    Fire someone!
    Fire everybody!
    Why is that person(s)/ everybody not yet fired?
    The target has not fired because of:
    1. Incompetence of ownership
    2. Ignorance of ownership
    3. Misplaced Loyalty of ownership
    4. Absence of ownership

    Themes:
    Everybody sucks: players, other fans, ownership, coaching, players (except for McElroy)
    Previous success was due to luck and circumstances
    Failure was inevitable and the result of decisions made by leadership

    This forum has definitely become the Götterdämmerung of the NYJ.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Jets are hardly the worst situation. We may still end up with 7-8 wins and that's a lot better than going to a team that finished like 2-14 or something like that.

    No franchise QB is an expected challenge when you take over a GM position for a struggling team.
    Record has nothing to do with the situation. The situation is what the team needs will be and how easily and quickly can they be filled. We go into next year needing starters at QB, RB, WR, a couple OL, 2 LB's, 2 S's, and the immediate need to negotiate or trade the best and most expensive CB in the game. That's reality. Now yes we could possibly resign Landry or Bell or both but they're both on the open market and could potentially be gone. There are real great QB prospects coming in this draft, so taking over a job for a team that needs a QB is a dicey situation. Whoever is the GM will need to decide between drafting a potential bust early or going with Sanchez one more year. Not real desirable.

    But like I said before if we want a good GM then you offer full autonomy to make all decisions on coaches and players. Period

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    The SOJF cocktail of self inflicted depression, schadenfreude and impatience continues.

    Fire someone!
    Fire everybody!
    Why is that person(s)/ everybody not yet fired?
    The target has not fired because of:
    1. Incompetence of ownership
    2. Ignorance of ownership
    3. Misplaced Loyalty of ownership
    4. Absence of ownership

    Themes:
    Everybody sucks: players, other fans, ownership, coaching, players (except for McElroy)
    Previous success was due to luck and circumstances
    Failure was inevitable and the result of decisions made by leadership

    This forum has definitely become the Götterdämmerung of the NYJ.
    Well somebody sucks. Who is it? The Jets sit at 4-7, that is objectively poor. It doesn't matter how many German words you use to couch the situation.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Record has nothing to do with the situation. The situation is what the team needs will be and how easily and quickly can they be filled. We go into next year needing starters at QB, RB, WR, a couple OL, 2 LB's, 2 S's, and the immediate need to negotiate or trade the best and most expensive CB in the game. That's reality. Now yes we could possibly resign Landry or Bell or both but they're both on the open market and could potentially be gone. There are real great QB prospects coming in this draft, so taking over a job for a team that needs a QB is a dicey situation. Whoever is the GM will need to decide between drafting a potential bust early or going with Sanchez one more year. Not real desirable.

    But like I said before if we want a good GM then you offer full autonomy to make all decisions on coaches and players. Period
    Tanny was given many years though, so will whoever comes in. Woody hasn't been rash when it comes to the GM position. Yes, next year looks bleak, but 2014 has a lot of promise with contracts that will come off the books, what seems to be a good QB draft class (Manziel, Bridgewater, to name a couple), and potential to bring in new coach. Honestly, this may all be moot as I have a feeling Woody will give Tannenbaum 1 more year after we finish with 7 or 8 wins. Whatever band-aid approach Tanny tries won't be enough though for 2013, barring a miraculous Sanchez turnaround or a journeyman taking the job from him and excelling, the team will likely be mired in mediocrity for one more season.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Well somebody sucks. Who is it? The Jets sit at 4-7, that is objectively poor. It doesn't matter how many German words you use to couch the situation.
    The offense is ranked 30th. I'd start with the OC and personnel (QB, RB, RT, etc), and go from there.

  9. #49
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boynton Beach, Florida
    Posts
    6,185
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    That post is dead on, especially the bolded part.

    Any new GM would want full autonomy with no meddling from Woody.

    I hate to say that you are right the Jets problems begin at the top and only a wimp GM would work for a owner who forces them to make moves for non football reasons. Look at the best football organizations the Steelers, Patriots and Giants they make moves for football reasons that's why they are consistent over the years.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfootballguy View Post
    Let's assume we fire Tannenbaum. Why would any promising GM candidate choose the Jets over the Chiefs, Chargers, Panthers, etc.?
    Our "meddlesome Owner" is no worse than any other owner in the league. I know it's popular to hate the owner in bad times, but in a league full of Dan Snyder's and Jerry Jones's, the ONLY "meddlesome" we have is Tebow, and only in theory. For a meddlesome Owner, he must be pretty bad at being meddlesome, since Tebow hasn't played.

    An "unwanted" Head Coach? So what, new GM fires him them. Not exactly uncommon for a new GM to want to pick his own Coach.

    No "Franchise QB"? So what, at least half the teams in the NFL, and more like 2/3 of them, don't have a legitimate Franchise QB. Newly hired GM's don't get everything handed to them after all, thats why we would need a new GM.

    Expensive Players? So what, cut a few, reneg. a few, retain a few. You know, like almost every newly hired GM has to do at every spot in the NFL. May not be able to fix it all (Like Holmes or Sanchez) in year one, but no new GM is given a one-year deal. He'll get 3-5 years to "fix it", and everything you bemoan can be fixed in 1-2 years. Including the "probem" of having Revis.

    To Recap, the Jets are one of the most valuble franhcises in the NFL, in the biggest City and market in the United States, with a history that makes the first GM to win us a Super Bowl an instant HOF legend. Better yet over the past 15 years or so we've been one of the most consitent and decent franchises on the field, far better than alot of other teams in the league. We have a core of very very good players (despite fan fury right now, we have the NFL's best CB and best #2 CB's, best Center and one of the best LT's, and a number of young kids that look fine) and a cast of other talent no better or worse than any other mid to low tier team in the league. We have an owner willing to spend as much as allowed, and a generally good loyal fanbase who shows up.

    Dear Lord, you make us sound like we're Jacksonville. We're far closer to the better-situation teams in the NFL than we are the bad situation teams. If anything works against us, it's the New York market, media and sterotypically hateful, turncoat, love you then want to kill you Fans. Not Woody or Revis and even Sanchez.

    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    The SOJF cocktail of self inflicted depression, schadenfreude and impatience continues.

    Fire someone!
    Fire everybody!
    Why is that person(s)/ everybody not yet fired?
    The target has not fired because of:
    1. Incompetence of ownership
    2. Ignorance of ownership
    3. Misplaced Loyalty of ownership
    4. Absence of ownership

    Themes:
    Everybody sucks: players, other fans, ownership, coaching, players (except for McElroy)
    Previous success was due to luck and circumstances
    Failure was inevitable and the result of decisions made by leadership

    This forum has definitely become the Götterdämmerung of the NYJ.
    Brilliant post, absolutely dead on. SOJF may be the single most predictable creature in all the NFL.

    Next up, a "Why didn't we resign Braylon Edwards, Kerry Rhodes, Danny Woodhead and whatever other Ex-Jets are currently out there????!!!!!" Thread.
    Last edited by Warfish; 11-30-2012 at 04:45 PM.

  11. #51
    There are good points and bad points about taking the GM job.

    Rex is neither good nor bad. HC can be replaced.

    While Woody can be meddlesome, he has seen what can result. When Parcells only wanted to coach year to year, Kraft took the gm type responsibilities from him. he ended up losing the coach and watched the team regress under Carrol.
    He then went and gave the football decisions to one guy and got out of the way. Woody could learn to do the same. He has been willing to sign checks, which is the main thing you want in an owner.

    The new GM will take a hit taking on a team that had some success in the past but will need rebuilding, while the prospects for next year look bad, in 2014 the salary cap issues go away.

    Football fans want championships, but they demand competitiveness. The want to go into the season believing the team will be in the playoffs. All that requires is a very good qb, not a Brady or a Manning who come every ten years but a solid qb. Schaub & Smith prove that a team can be a favorite to win without a superstar.

    The GM just needs to hire a coach that can teach and develop talent. Which is the one thing That Rex failed at.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    look at the guys that got the Red Sox a WS. They are gold there, forever.
    You ARE joking, right? Both the coach and the GM were run out of town by Sox ownership before last season, only 4 years after their last WS win.

    IMO, a total top to bottom housecleaning isn't going to happen until 2014 mainly due to the horrible situation Tanny has put the team in from a talent aspect with significant cap issues. Things start to get better in 2014, so I would expect it happens then. A new GM, I suppose, could happen next year if Woody gave him say, a 6 year deal, knowing it's probably a 2-3 year rebuilding process at best, just to get competitive again.

  13. #53
    Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,517
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    There are good points and bad points about taking the GM job.

    Rex is neither good nor bad. HC can be replaced.

    While Woody can be meddlesome, he has seen what can result. When Parcells only wanted to coach year to year, Kraft took the gm type responsibilities from him. he ended up losing the coach and watched the team regress under Carrol.
    He then went and gave the football decisions to one guy and got out of the way. Woody could learn to do the same. He has been willing to sign checks, which is the main thing you want in an owner.

    The new GM will take a hit taking on a team that had some success in the past but will need rebuilding, while the prospects for next year look bad, in 2014 the salary cap issues go away.

    Football fans want championships, but they demand competitiveness. The want to go into the season believing the team will be in the playoffs. All that requires is a very good qb, not a Brady or a Manning who come every ten years but a solid qb. Schaub & Smith prove that a team can be a favorite to win without a superstar.

    The GM just needs to hire a coach that can teach and develop talent. Which is the one thing That Rex failed at.
    Logic and common sense have no place on this board. Begone!

  14. #54
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,559
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    You ARE joking, right? Both the coach and the GM were run out of town by Sox ownership before last season, only 4 years after their last WS win.

    IMO, a total top to bottom housecleaning isn't going to happen until 2014 mainly due to the horrible situation Tanny has put the team in from a talent aspect with significant cap issues. Things start to get better in 2014, so I would expect it happens then. A new GM, I suppose, could happen next year if Woody gave him say, a 6 year deal, knowing it's probably a 2-3 year rebuilding process at best, just to get competitive again.
    Serious question....

    They may have been run out of town but doesnt the city of Boston hold them in reverence. For example.....Mark Messier can do no wrong in NY.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Serious question....

    They may have been run out of town but doesnt the city of Boston hold them in reverence. For example.....Mark Messier can do no wrong in NY.
    Francona, yes. I was at the Fenway 100th anniversary game vs. Yankees this year and they had an incredibly touching tribute to all players, past and present, before the game. They entered the field one by one with their images and past highlights on the big screen. People like Yastrzemski and Fisk, Old timers Bobby Doerr and Johnny Pesky in wheelchairs. Tiant, Oil Can, Pedro, Eck, and the list goes on and on and they all got huge ovations. The second biggest applause came for Bill Buckner, who was literally run out of town for 3 decades. The biggest ovation, and by a lot, was for Tony Francona. He'll always be a King in Boston.

    Theo, on the other hand, is generally reviled and scorned. He's blamed for all the crummy huge contracts given to one bum after another, many of which the team is still paying. Giving Carl Crawford $25 million per year was bad enough, but guys like JD Drew 5yr for $70m, John Lackey at $14m per, even AGon at $26m, the list goes on and on. Bums like Julio Lugo, Smoltz, Bobby Jenks, Brad Penny, Mike Cameron, all guys who once had great or good numbers and all failed miserable as a Red Sox. No one misses Theo. And most fans realize the 2004 team was largely a team that Dan Duquette built anyway.

  16. #56
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,559
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Francona, yes. I was at the Fenway 100th anniversary game vs. Yankees this year and they had an incredibly touching tribute to all players, past and present, before the game. They entered the field one by one with their images and past highlights on the big screen. People like Yastrzemski and Fisk, Old timers Bobby Doerr and Johnny Pesky in wheelchairs. Tiant, Oil Can, Pedro, Eck, and the list goes on and on and they all got huge ovations. The second biggest applause came for Bill Buckner, who was literally run out of town for 3 decades. The biggest ovation, and by a lot, was for Tony Francona. He'll always be a King in Boston.

    Theo, on the other hand, is generally reviled and scorned. He's blamed for all the crummy huge contracts given to one bum after another, many of which the team is still paying. Giving Carl Crawford $25 million per year was bad enough, but guys like JD Drew 5yr for $70m, John Lackey at $14m per, even AGon at $26m, the list goes on and on. Bums like Julio Lugo, Smoltz, Bobby Jenks, Brad Penny, Mike Cameron, all guys who once had great or good numbers and all failed miserable as a Red Sox. No one misses Theo. And most fans realize the 2004 team was largely a team that Dan Duquette built anyway.
    Didn't know that about Theo. Thanks.


    I went to a SOX game last year..sat next to a typical CHOWD. Asked him whose numbers were on the wall. he knew 2 of them, maybe 3 . I shook my head. he was all decked out in SOX jacket, hat etc... And couldn't tell you the retired numbers.


    He asked me if I knew the Yankees. I rattled them off from 1 to 49. In a row, none missed.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfootballguy View Post
    Let's assume we fire Tannenbaum. Why would any promising GM candidate choose the Jets over the Chiefs, Chargers, Panthers, etc.?

    1) We have a meddlesome owner who likes to have input on the high-profile transactions (or potential transactions) of a team

    2) We already have a head coach who I suspect the vast majority of good GM candidates would not want as their HC -- he has lost the team for two years in a row and shows no sign of knowing how to run a team other than by knowing how to run a defense

    3) We don't have a franchise quarterback, or even a quarterback of the future.

    4) Next year we have 3 players -- David Harris, Sanchez, Holmes -- that are making nearly $40m. These players are basically worth jack ****t. Sanchez if cut adds another $4-5M in dead money, and is not going to help the Jets field an above-average (or average) offense. Holmes is a locker room cancer that no other team wanted at a bargain salary, let alone coming off an injury and making $13M. And Harris is a fine player but drastically overpaid.

    5) The team's best player is coming off an ACL injury, has a huge contract, and is likely to show up on the GM's door two seconds after he's hired asking for a new contract.



    To recap: the team has no players to build around but a ton of money invested in worthless players, a meddlesome owner, and a coach that's on a career path that crashing planes think looks steep. Oh, and he has to deal with the NY media and the Giants, and the Patriots in the division.

    GMs aren't like coaches -- if they fail, they don't become OCs, succeed, and get another crack at a HC job. They basically only get one shot, and GMs by their nature are more cautious and calculating than coaches. So why would a hotshot, rising, up-and-coming GM candidate pick the Jets?

    Looking for serious answers here because I don't see any.

    [If Woody agrees, I could see the team bringing back Mr. T, Rex and Sanchez, because at least after the season the job is somewhat attractive to potential candidates - he can then pick his HC, cut Sanchez/Holmes at low cost, and truly rebuild.]
    Why do so many in this fanbase overdramatize everything involving the team?

    I'm convinced most of you did not live through the Kotite years, we are 2 years removed from the AFCCG with this SAME regime

    Every year isn't/can't be a SB year, too many variables/factors

    It is what it is, why does one down year, and the year isn't even over yet, have to immediately mean DRASTIC changes and doom and gloom?

    WHY?

  18. #58
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Posts
    5,668
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Exactly, if your a GM, you go in and turn a team completely around.

    Can you imagine the legacy of some guy coming to the Jets, turn things around and get a Super Bowl title?
    there will be a lot of fans on this site... deep throating this man

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Why do so many in this fanbase overdramatize everything involving the team?

    I'm convinced most of you did not live through the Kotite years, we are 2 years removed from the AFCCG with this SAME regime

    Every year isn't/can't be a SB year, too many variables/factors

    It is what it is, why does one down year, and the year isn't even over yet, have to immediately mean DRASTIC changes and doom and gloom?

    WHY?
    Because it was how that team was built, a bunch of back loaded contracts with heavy guarantees to non productive players. and no young players to step in and assume starting positions on a team with 17 FA and 19mill over the cap.

    Every Jet fan is happy about those two good years, but are concerned if this
    FO and Coaching staff are the right guys to build a team from practically from scratch. I take it that you believe that Tanny is the guy to pick the guys and Rex is the guy to coach up these young guys to compete again regardless of their record of doing the same over the last 4 years.

  20. #60
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In The Cone of Doom
    Posts
    7,051
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Why would any GM not want this job? Assuming the owner lets him do his job, why not?

    Team is a mess, has a losing history, and is the NY market place. If you can turn around this team, you are GOLD forever. The GM that turned around the Jets and got them to their first SB in 45 years?

    Where would you rather try to turn around a team, Cleveland? Jacksonville? No, if a GM thinks he is up to it, he should want NY
    This post is dead on. Nowhere to go but up and that is very attractive if you are a GM with a plan. If it were me I would find the challenge mesmerizing to say the least. There are two types of people in this world: Those that let things happen and those that make things happen. I am the later and would take that job in a heartbeat.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us