Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why would any good GM want this job?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfootballguy View Post
    Why do you think DeCosta is taking his time in Baltimore? People watch these situations closely from afar, and I think the Jets job is the least desirable out there due to Woody, Sanchez, Holmes, lack of a high pick.

You go to KC you get the #1 pick

In Jacksonville you have a ton of cap space and a high pick

In Carolina you have Newton and a high pick

What is the draw of the Jets job? To deal with Tone time and Revis' contract demands while figuring out wtf to do with Sanchez?
    If I can make it there, I'll make it ANYWHERE!
    Wouldn't you want to be the GM that brought a Superbowl after 40 some odd years?
    Need a coach like Tomlin first, then draft like crazy.
    Tomlin = The Anti Rex
    Sits players that fumble, Sits WR that *****es, Tomlin is THE MAN, luv that guy, (no homo)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's assume we fire Tannenbaum. Why would any promising GM candidate choose the Jets over the Chiefs, Chargers, Panthers, etc.?

1) We have a meddlesome owner who likes to have input on the high-profile transactions (or potential transactions) of a team

2) We already have a head coach who I suspect the vast majority of good GM candidates would not want as their HC -- he has lost the team for two years in a row and shows no sign of knowing how to run a team other than by knowing how to run a defense

3) We don't have a franchise quarterback, or even a quarterback of the future.

4) Next year we have 3 players -- David Harris, Sanchez, Holmes -- that are making nearly $40m. These players are basically worth jack ****t. Sanchez if cut adds another $4-5M in dead money, and is not going to help the Jets field an above-average (or average) offense. Holmes is a locker room cancer that no other team wanted at a bargain salary, let alone coming off an injury and making $13M. And Harris is a fine player but drastically overpaid.

5) The team's best player is coming off an ACL injury, has a huge contract, and is likely to show up on the GM's door two seconds after he's hired asking for a new contract.

To recap: the team has no players to build around but a ton of money invested in worthless players, a meddlesome owner, and a coach that's on a career path that crashing planes think looks steep. Oh, and he has to deal with the NY media and the Giants, and the Patriots in the division.

GMs aren't like coaches -- if they fail, they don't become OCs, succeed, and get another crack at a HC job. They basically only get one shot, and GMs by their nature are more cautious and calculating than coaches. So why would a hotshot, rising, up-and-coming GM candidate pick the Jets?

Looking for serious answers here because I don't see any.

[If Woody agrees, I could see the team bringing back Mr. T, Rex and Sanchez, because at least after the season the job is somewhat attractive to potential candidates - he can then pick his HC, cut Sanchez/Holmes at low cost, and truly rebuild.]
    There is no hope... I suggest you stop routing for the team....trust me you are better off....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Wouldn't you want to be the GM that brought a Superbowl after 40 some odd years?
    Tomlin = The Anti Rex
    Sits players that fumble, Sits WR that *****es, Tomlin is THE MAN, luv that guy, (no homo)
    Maybe I am crazy but I think we have that guy in Westhoff. Westhoff has not only coached special teams but he has been a position coach on both sides of the ball in his career. He would not play favorites. He is a no nonsense guy who would hold people accountable and not try to be buddies with them. He is also a good football man which is something that the Jets need in a higher role. Make him interim coach for the remainder of the year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's called professional discipline, something that Wrecks has yet to grasp.

Like BB making Ridley inactive for the AFCCG and Super Bowl because of his fumbles against the Broncos.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tomlin = The Anti Rex
    Tonkin wouldn't cure any hatred. Every single day there are fans that call into sports talk radio here that despise tomlin. Bad clock management, can't draft well, etc... The media here also makes fun of tomlin left and right. I couldn't imagine what he would do in NY. Doesn't matter who u get, fans won't be happy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    if a guy thinks he's ready to be a GM and does not want a challenge like the Jets job is, then you don't want that candy azz anyway. not everything is supposed to be handed to you. Yes, work is involved!

Look at Ryan Grigson from the Colts. Was that a desirable job? Not really. Yes you had the top pick, but there were holes EVERYWHERE! Supposed to be a few years of rebuilding. But he was not scared to take the job. And look what's happened so far. That's what the Jets need to do. Find a bright football mind who actually wants to work. Not some retread who isn't sure because it's such a big task. F those guys.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    if a guy thinks he's ready to be a GM and does not want a challenge like the Jets job is, then you don't want that candy azz anyway. not everything is supposed to be handed to you. Yes, work is involved!

Look at Ryan Grigson from the Colts. Was that a desirable job? Not really. Yes you had the top pick, but there were holes EVERYWHERE! Supposed to be a few years of rebuilding. But he was not scared to take the job. And look what's happened so far. That's what the Jets need to do. Find a bright football mind who actually wants to work. Not some retread who isn't sure because it's such a big task. F those guys.
    The Colts job was very desirable. There's no comparison between the two.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    The premise of this thread is kindof silly... It's like asking - who would want to be CEO of <insert fortune 100 company>? The answer is - friggin everyone.

Nope. If I'm the Exec VP at General Electric or a bunch of other place, there is no way I want to Hewlett Packard. Or GM or Citi or Sears. Or other dogs.
    I'll stay where I am in a good company.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Colts job was very desirable. There's no comparison between the two.
    very desirable? I want to hear your case.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    very desirable? I want to hear your case.
    Great stadium, good owner, #1 overall pick with the best QB prospect in 20 years. What is better than that?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Exactly, if your a GM, you go in and turn a team completely around.

Can you imagine the legacy of some guy coming to the Jets, turn things around and get a Super Bowl title?
    look at the guys that got the Red Sox a WS. They are gold there, forever.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly, if your a GM, you go in and turn a team completely around.

Can you imagine the legacy of some guy coming to the Jets, turn things around and get a Super Bowl title?
    name Florham Park after him??

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Great stadium, good owner, #1 overall pick with the best QB prospect in 20 years. What is better than that?
    Grigson also walked into a team with more holes than the Jets. A new coach with a new D scheme with players that didn't fit that scheme. great stadium, good owner? lots of teams have that. OK, the top overall pick is nice.

I wouldn't say the Jets job can't even compare to the Colts job though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets are hardly the worst situation. We may still end up with 7-8 wins and that's a lot better than going to a team that finished like 2-14 or something like that.

No franchise QB is an expected challenge when you take over a GM position for a struggling team.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Nope. If I'm the Exec VP at General Electric or a bunch of other place, there is no way I want to Hewlett Packard. Or GM or Citi or Sears. Or other dogs.
    I'll stay where I am in a good company.
    I don't think we're pulling away Ted Thomson or Jerry Reese from their jobs. Its more like getting some up and comer at Honeywell, who has no real chance to replace David Cote anytime soon, to take a chance on being the #1 guy at HP.

Perhaps the Director of Player Personnel at the Packers or College Scouting at the Steelers or the Ass't GM of the 49ers may be intriguing (Those were all hypothetical - I have no idea who any of those guys are).

I just hope Woody has enough of a network around the league to even be able to identify young talent. For whatever reason, I have this vision of the Jets FO being totally out of touch with the rest of the league's goings on. Tanny being a Jet from start to finish doesn't help either.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    look at the guys that got the Red Sox a WS. They are gold there, forever.
    The Red Sox were a solid team for a long time. Just a hair away. In the World Series quite a bit over the years.
    The Jets are a dog. One championship appearance in 52 (soon 53) years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's called professional discipline, something that Wrecks has yet to grasp.

Like BB making Ridley inactive for the AFCCG and Super Bowl because of his fumbles against the Broncos.
    Or Parcells not letting the punter on the plane home.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Grigson also walked into a team with more holes than the Jets. A new coach with a new D scheme with players that didn't fit that scheme. great stadium, good owner? lots of teams have that. OK, the top overall pick is nice.

I wouldn't say the Jets job can't even compare to the Colts job though.
    The Jets have a dead-end QB and owe him a ton of money. The Colts have Andrew Luck on a rookie contract and cap room. Enough said.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aside from the fact that most of what OP said in his post isn't true--there are dozens of reasons why someone smart and talented would take the Jets GM job. Here are a few...

1. There are plenty of up-and-comers who are sitting behind old dogs on the team management "depth charts" who want to get to the next level.

2. Control. This can be more valuable/enticing to a prospective GM than salary. The more he gets, the better the opportunity is.

3. NYC. A town where the GM is a household name, for good or for bad.

4. Rex. New GMs usually want new HCs. If I was looking for a reason to terminate the HC I inherited, Rex's methods and bombast suit my purposes well.

5. The roster. Things look really bad, but in reality there's more talent on this team than some of the pitiful rosters other GMs have taken over around the league in recent years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    what GM wouldn't? basically rebuild the own team the way you want it. that's what GMs are supposed to.
    Basically this. GMs get their rep buy building teams not riding what someone else did. Why do you think Bruce Allen went to Washington? He could have gone anywhere but choice a team that needed to most work. It took 2 years just to cut all the worthless wastes of cap from that team. Now they are finally pulling out of the basement and building something.