Thread: NEW YORK dept. : Escape from New York / Gettin' OUT ! ! !

Hall Of Fame

Arrow NEW YORK dept. : Escape from New York / Gettin' OUT ! ! !

~ ~ How about the biggest losers ? ( NOOOO , not the jets )

From 2000-09, the metropolitan areas that suffered the biggest net domestic migration losses resemble something of an urbanist dream team :

New York, which saw a net outflow of a whopping 1.9 million citizens,

rest of article :
    > http://finance.yahoo.com/news/where-...13.html?page=1

Hall Of Fame
    It is expensive to live in NY and the surrounding suburbs. And not for nothing but the overall quality of life is deteriorating as well. 10 years from now I don't see myself on LI.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks kel but IMHO the article is pretty much a crock...

NYC itself is gaining in that the elderly on fixed incomes are leaving (to those hotbeds on the list like Phoenix and other sunbelt areas to live in assisted living but are more than counterbalanced by the influx of young successful people arriving to try and make it where it matters.

Places like Billyburgh and others, once considered slums are now booming with residential development, restaurants and nightlife.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    It is expensive to live in NY and the surrounding suburbs. And not for nothing but the overall quality of life is deteriorating as well. 10 years from now I don't see myself on LI.
    Forbes just ranked 10 states where you shouldn't live and NY is amongst them. they cited the main factor as morenthan 50 percent of people live off government rather than private sector. Their words...not mine.

They included government as employment, entitlement etc.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Thanks kel but IMHO the article is pretty much a crock...

NYC itself is gaining in that the elderly on fixed incomes are leaving (to those hotbeds on the list like Phoenix and other sunbelt areas to live in assisted living but are more than counterbalanced by the influx of young successful people arriving to try and make it where it matters.

Places like Billyburgh and others, once considered slums are now booming with residential development, restaurants and nightlife.

You think that a good indicator of a healthy economy is when the middle class start moving into the slums? Really?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Forbes just ranked 10 states where you shouldn't live and NY is amongst them. they cited the main factor as morenthan 50 percent of people live off government rather than private sector. Their words...not mine.

They included government as employment, entitlement etc.
    LOL.

In fairness "entitlements" includes senior citizens on SS and Medicare. They paid into those programs their entire life. I have no issue with them. We owe a debt to them and that needs to be honored. I wish they would exclude the senior citizens, disabled etc. from those statistics.

One the flip side, my neighbor is a cop and he says he consistently pulls over people driving BMW/Lexus/MB with NYS benefit cards (healways makes sure to give them max ticket/fine ) It is a joke. Wish we could crack down on those people.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL.

In fairness "entitlements" includes senior citizens on SS and Medicare. They paid into those programs their entire life. I have no issue with them. We owe a debt to them and that needs to be honored. I wish they would exclude the senior citizens, disabled etc. from those statistics.

One the flip side, my neighbor is a cop and he says he consistently pulls over people driving BMW/Lexus/MB with NYS benefit cards (healways makes sure to give them max ticket/fine ) It is a joke. Wish we could crack down on those people.
    In fairness he as a LEO would be included as one of those on southpark's ridiculous Forbes list of gubmint/entitlement folks that make NY a bad place to live

Jets Insider VIP
    NY will be fine.

Not all states can be the awesomeness that is South Dakota, Mississippi, Idaho, Alabama, Kentucky or Ohio.