Thread: Lions' Titus Young short with media while Dominic Raiola blasts him

Lions' Titus Young short with media while Dominic Raiola blasts him

Detroit Lions wide receiver Titus Young met with the media today for the first time since he was sent home from the practice facility last week, but he didn’t have much to say.

Young fielded nine questions, ignoring one and giving eight one-sentence answers before the session was cut off by a Lions spokesperson.

Young was benched for the final series of the Lions’ Nov. 18 loss to the Green Bay Packers after he purposely lined up incorrectly on multiple occasions and yelled at receivers coach Shawn Jefferson coming off the field.

Jefferson declined to comment on that incident and Young, in general, today.

But team captain Dominic Raiola blasted Young in an interview with the Detroit News (a few adjective expletives have been edited out).

"It's not a distraction because we have moved on from him," Raiola said. "If he wants to be an a------, let him be an a------. It's not my problem.

What we can control is the guys who want to be here. I want people who want to be here, and I think everybody else wants the same thing.

"If you don't want to be here, then leave."

Raiola said he has "no idea" why Young is disgruntled.

"We've got the best player in the world over there (in Calvin Johnson)," Raiola said. "He should look no further than that to know how to act. If you are going to act like that, you are done."

Meanwhile, here was Young’s exchange with reporters:
    Q. What led to your absence from the team for last week’s loss to the Houston Texans?
    A. “Well, what happens in house stays in house.”
    Q. Are you disappointed you’ve been sent home from the facility twice in six months?
    A. “Well, I just made my comment on that whole situation."
    Q. How are you progressing this week to get back in the playing mix?
    A. “Well."
    Q. Do you expect to play Sunday?
    A. “Well, that’s all in God’s hands.”
    Q. Lions coach Jim Schwartz said you need to be more accountable, is this part of that?
    A. “Well, you have to talk to Coach about that.”
    Q. What would you say to fans who wonder if they can trust you again?
    A. “Well, I’m not here to talk about that past.”
    Q. Do you understand why people are curious about your situation?
    A. “I didn’t get the question."
    (The question was repeated, and Young, who wore sunglasses and a stocking cap during the interview, did not respond.)
    Q. Are you disappointed in yourself?
    A. “I’m not here to comment about the past.”

http://www.freep.com/article/2012113...ola-blasts-him

Sounds like he has been getting pointers from Santonio....How was this guy's a$$ not cut? He can't cost that much??

It sounds like he would fit in well with Santonio.

Hall Of Fame
    He is their "whipping boy" for Suh.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He is their "whipping boy" for Suh.
    I wouldn't call a guy who purposely sabotaged his own team, on the field, a whipping boy. If anything, he's getting off easy since they brought him back, which is insane.

Veteran
    So tired of this kind of stuff and as a result my interest in professional sports seems to lessen every year. While there are still some good character guys, attitudes like Young's here become more and more typical. It gets hard to cheer for guys you know you would want to avoid if you met them in real life.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    I wouldn't call a guy who purposely sabotaged his own team, on the field, a whipping boy. If anything, he's getting off easy since they brought him back, which is insane.
    Suh has sabotaged them on the field too with his antics. But they are not going to punish him b.c he is their #2 overall pick.

I am not trying to say Young doesn't deserve punishment, what he did was inexcusable and if it were my team I would consider cutting him. I agree he got off easy. My point was that I think they could be trying to send a message by punishing a lesser player.

The Lions have a lot of trouble. Their coach is a bit of a doosh and they have these young players who are problem childs. Suh, Young, Fairley, Berry (now a Jet).

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Suh has sabotaged them on the field too with his antics. But they are not going to punish him b.c he is their #2 overall pick.

I am not trying to say Young doesn't deserve punishment, what he did was inexcusable and if it were my team I would consider cutting him. I agree he got off easy. My point was that I think they could be trying to send a message by punishing a lesser player.

The Lions have a lot of trouble. Their coach is a bit of a doosh and they have these young players who are problem childs. Suh, Young, Fairley, Berry (now a Jet).
    Lawrence Taylor never got punished by the Tuna because of his talent you think that's something new??

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Lawrence Taylor never got punished by the Tuna because of his talent you think that's something new??
    No. Life isn't fair. Better players get more leeway. That is a fact of life.

But it doesn't make it right.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    How did he "sabotage" his team?

sounds like he's just a humble man of God who's eager to move on with his life