Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: KC LB Belcher kills girlfriend then commits suicide at Arrowhead

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Ban yourself.
    +1

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)

Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher fatally shot his girlfriend early Saturday, then drove to Arrowhead Stadium and committed suicide in front of his coach and general manager.

Authorities did not release a possible motive for the murder-suicide, though police said that Belcher and his girlfriend had been arguing recently. The two of them have an infant child.

Belcher thanked general manager Scott Pioli and coach Romeo Crennel before shooting himself in the parking lot outside the team's practice facility, police spokesman Darin Snapp said. Police had locked it down by mid-morning and reporters were confined to Arrowhead Drive just outside the gates.

The news cast a pall over the organization as it prepared to play the Carolina Panthers on Sunday. There was no official word whether the game would be played as scheduled.

Belcher was a 25-year-old native of West Babylon, N.Y., on Long Island, who played college ball at Maine. He signed with the Chiefs an undrafted free agent but had stuck around for four years, moving into the starting lineup. He'd played in all 11 games this season.

"I struggle a little bit, obviously, because Jovan Belcher's profile elevates the subject," Kansas City Mayor Sly James said. "I hope people will look at the situation and try not to judge the person. There are a lot of people hurting. There's a young baby right now without parents."

Authorities reported receiving a call Saturday morning from a woman who said her daughter had been shot multiple times at a residence about five miles away from the Arrowhead complex.

"When we arrived, a lady informed us that her daughter had been shot multiple times by her boyfriend, by the daughter's boyfriend," Snapp said.

Snapp said a call was then received from the Chiefs' facility.

"The description matched the suspect description from that other address. We kind of knew what we were dealing with," Snapp said. The player was "holding a gun to his head" as he stood in front of the front doors of the practice facility.

"And there were Pioli and Crennel and another coach or employee was standing outside and appeared to be talking to him. It appeared they were talking to the suspect," Snapp said. "The suspect began to walk in the opposite direction of the coaches and the officers and that's when they heard the gunshot. It appears he took his own life."

The coaches told police they never felt in any danger, Snapp said.

"They said the player was actually thanking them for everything they'd done for him," he said. "They were just talking to him and he was thanking them and everything. That's when he walked away and shot himself."

Snapp described the girlfriend as in her early 20s and that she and the player had a child together. He said the woman's mother told police they had recently been arguing.

"We can confirm that there was an incident at Arrowhead earlier this morning," the Chiefs said in a statement. "We are cooperating with authorities in their investigation."

James said that he spoke to Pioli after the incident, and while he refused to discuss the GM's emotional state, the mayor said Pioli was "extremely concerned that fans of this team are not disappointed and not left in the cold."

"I think they think there's an obligation to the people of this city, the fans of the team and the fans of the other team to play the game," James said.

The season has been a massive disappointment for the Chiefs, who were expected to contend for the AFC West title. They're just 1-10 and mired in an eight-game losing streak marked by injuries, poor play and fan upheaval, with calls for Pioli and Crennel to be fired.

The Twitter account for a fan group known as "Save Our Chiefs" recently surpassed 80,000 followers, about 17,000 more than the announced crowd at a recent game.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/j...cility-120112/

Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    RIP! Lighten up on Shakin you guys, he posted that in a self-deprecating style and meant no disrespect to the deceased.
    Link?

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    +1

It's way early but the first question everyone asks is Why?

Why would someone who seemed to have so much in terms of life, family, football career do something so crazy like this. Seems very possible he had a mental issue or breakdown of some type.

I have NO info on this but any chance this guy has a concussion history? Junior Seau situation here?
    Material things & status mean nothing when your suffering from mental illness.
    Simple depression can change someones outlook on life no matter what it might look to others from the outside.
    Humans are complicated creatures.
    The child will suffer most losing both parents, but I'm sure there are loving family members that will step forward and nurture that child.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jet-sec125 View Post
    Your an A-HOLE show some respect.
    For a murderer? Yeah, go light a candle for him.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TechJet View Post
    OH MG this is bad news just terrible R . I. P oh my gosh this is not good
    I feel bad for them. I hope it wasn't about their division record.
    Lets not let this scumbag comment go. Have some sympathy you ass. The guy clearly had some sort of problem. Life isn't all about football, it goes way beyond it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jets337 View Post
    Really? And you're a moderator? I've thought of becoming a VIP but after seeing this from a moderator never.
    Ok, you let me know how much respect I should show for a murderer. What's the proper amount?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreeneWarMachine View Post
    Wow. Way to set an example. Some moderating staff we have here.

*Edit: I encourage people to report his post, perhaps another moderator can at the very least delete it.
    Report it yourself. It's far more egregious than blowing someone's f-cking head off -- even if it is the mother of your child. Yeah, defend that guy.

Glad to see you've got your priorities in order.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by LotteryPick6 View Post
    Condolences to the young female and the child.

No sympathy for the animal that decided to kill his girlfriend and leave his child orphaned. What a coward.

I'm sure I am going to take heat for this post but so be it.
    This guy gets it.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Ok, you let me know how much respect I should show for a murderer. What's the proper amount?
    Are you in the Kansas City police? Do you know all the facts of what happened this morning? If you don't, then you shouldn't jump to conclusions about this kid. Anything could have happened, and until the full story comes out, you should keep that stuff to yourself.

Veteran
    Tragic and horrible incident.

Can't judge this without further information.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    Are you in the Kansas City police? Do you know all the facts of what happened this morning? If you don't, then you shouldn't jump to conclusions about this kid. Anything could have happened, and until the full story comes out, you should keep that stuff to yourself.
    Yeah, you're right, I'm sure his girlfriend shot herself multiple times, and he was torn up about it. Her lying mom should never have called the police screaming "MY DAUGHTERS BOYFRIEND SHOT HER."

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    The guy clearly had some sort of problem.
    He CLEARLY had some sort of problem? Talk about jumping to conclusions!

Yeah, prison is just full of misunderstood victims who all had some sort of problem.

Unfrickingbelievable

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green + White View Post
    Tragic and horrible incident.

Can't judge this without further information.
    Yes you can. A little girl has no mom, and a young woman lost her life for nothing.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Yes you can. A little girl has no mom, and a young woman lost her life for nothing.
    Be careful, the kneejerk PC "aw that poor fella -- what did that horrible woman do to make him shoot her" police are on duty here today.

Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Yeah, you're right, I'm sure his girlfriend shot herself multiple times, and he was torn up about it. Her lying mom should never have called the police screaming "MY DAUGHTERS BOYFRIEND SHOT HER."
    I'm pretty sure Heyman is referring to the fact that we don't know the extent of this person's mental state; a history of concussions, brain trauma, was there something that happened that made him snap?

Only someone as unintelligent and ignorant as you would interpret that and turn it into a crappy joke about the events of the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    RIP! Lighten up on Shakin you guys, he posted that in a self-deprecating style and meant no disrespect to the deceased.
    Oh yeah, you're spot on with this comment.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Heyman is referring to the fact that we don't know the extent of this person's mental state; a history of concussions, brain trauma, was there something that happened that made him snap?

Only someone as unintelligent and ignorant as you would interpret that and turn it into a crappy joke about the events of the crime.
    I'm talking about the events. You resort to attacking me?

Anyway, I'm glad to see you've forgiven this young man. Please reach out to his victim's parents and let them know he's good by you. They need to hear that from someone with your superior intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    How respectful do we have to be to resurrect the woman who was shot?

Hall Of Fame

This thread has taken the typical JI progression.

KC is a lock for #1 pick now. Can't see them winning another game. Can't imagine witnessing something like this. Pioli and Crennel must be sick.