Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Debunking the Same Old Jets Theory

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Really great points on the hysteria that we suck, have sucked, and will continue to suck. Yeah, not a great season, but given the injuries, the WR and line turnover, it's not a surprise.

Full article is here as I know the short attention span here: http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...er_share=f94e8

"So here goes, some facts for the enablers of the “Same Old Jets” myth:

1) The Jets haven’t had a losing season since 2007

How difficult is it to string together seasons without having a losing record? Since 2007, only four A.F.C. teams – Patriots, Steelers, Ravens and Chargers — and eight teams over all are in the same company. The Jets would have to lose two of their last five games — and their schedule is favorable — for their streak to be broken.
    2) The Jets have had only three losing seasons since 1997, when Bill Parcells took the reins
    Few would argue that 15 years is not a significant sample size. How impressive is the Jets’ total of 3 out of a possible 15? Only New England (1) and Green Bay (2) have had fewer losing seasons during this stretch. Pittsburgh and Denver are tied with the Jets at 3. Detroit and Cleveland lead all teams with 11.
    3) The Jets have had seven postseason appearances since 1997
    Once again, the Jets’ total puts them among the upper crust of N.F.L. teams. In the A.F.C., only four teams have qualified for the playoffs more times than the Jets during this stretch, led by New England and Indianapolis, with 11 times each. Green Bay leads N.F.C. teams with 10 appearances.
    4) The Jets have played in three conference championship games since 1997
    This number stands out when you consider that six A.F.C. teams have failed to reach one title game over this period. The Patriots and the Steelers lead the N.F.L. with six each and are the only A.F.C. teams with more appearances than the Jets. Denver, Baltimore and Indianapolis are tied with the Jets’ total of three.
    5) The Jets are one of the 18 N.F.L. teams to have actually won a Super Bowl
    Yes, this does not change the fact that 44 seasons is a long time to go without a title, which is where the Jets’ drought will almost certainly stand after this season. But they HAVE won it before. Fourteen teams have yet to win the Vince Lombardi Trophy, and only 11 teams have won more than one, led by Pittsburgh, which has won six times."

So Ok, maybe no SB this year, but a lot of young guys with potential are getting serious experience.
    How many times in the organization's entire history have they been to the playoffs more than twice in a row?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Same Old Jets has never meant to me that the Jets stink. What it has always meant to me is that they will wait until my hopes and aspirations are at the highest possible level, before dashing my dreams. Same old Jets, to me, is more about the journey, which invariably ends in the depths of despair despite reaching lofty heights along the way.

It's Richard Todd leading the Jets to a monumental comeback against the Bills in the first round of the playoffs in 1981 having the Jets in position to take the lead late in the 4th quarter, only to throw the ball right to Bill "howdy doody" Simpson in the End-zone.

It's Richard Todd throwing Int after Int in the AFCCG mud bowl (to a DE!) single-handedly causing the Jets to lose to an inferior dolphin team in 1982.

It's going 11-5 in 1985, winning the division and losing a home playoff game to Tony Eason and the Pats.

It's Mark Gastineau leveling Brian Sipe on a late hit on 4th down in the AFC divisional playoff in 1986 which allows the Browns to tie the game sending it into OT, and a Jet loss.

It's Browning Nagle going 21-37-366-2-0 in his first start ever in 1992 and sucking thereafter.

It's Dick Steinberg getting stomach cancer.

It's Leon Hess thinking firing Pete Carrol and hiring Rich Kotite is an Upgrade.

It's losing the AFCCG in 1998 to the Broncos because the Jets turned the ball over 6 times! (I think 2 or 3 were fumbles by the traditionally reliable Keith Byars).

It's the Jets coming into 1999 loaded for a SB run and seeing VT tear his Achilles tendon in a non-contact injury attempting to cover a botched hand-off. And then watching the normally realistic Bill Parcells march Rick Mirer out there at QB week after week believing pixie dust will suddenly make him competent before turning to Ray Lucas when the season was all but lost.

It's Bill Belichick resigning as HC of the NYJ before he ever coached a game.

It's the Jets missing in the playoffs in 2000 after outplaying the hell out of eventual SB champs Ravens in Baltimore in the final week of the year OUT-GAINING the Ravens 524 to 142 yards and 22 first downs to 5 only because the Ravens scored on a 98 int return AND punt returns of 89 and 54 yards.

Its the 2004 10-6 playoff team of Coach Edwards turning the promise of improvement into a 4-12 2005 season.

It's Eric Mangini's teams doing the same in 2006 to 2007.

It's Mangini riding Brett Favre to an 8-3 start in 2008 and then showing us his true coaching ability with a lame Favre leading the Jets to an embarrassing 9-7 finish.

It Rex Ryan's 2010 Jets disposing of Peyton Manning's Colts and Tom Brady's Pats on the road in the playoffs only to fold in the first half against Rashard Mendenhall and the Steeler Defense, then roar back in the 2d half before Shotty managed to steal defeat from the jaws of victory.

It's Rex and Tanny turning the promise of 2 straight AFCCG appearances into a team that has not beaten an opponent with a winning in over 1 year.
    Thank you for this. This team has ripped our hearts our for 40+ years now.

BTW, thank you for having mercy and leaving Doug Brien out of this.

Same Old Jets has never meant to me that the Jets stink. What it has always meant to me is that they will wait until my hopes and aspirations are at the highest possible level, before dashing my dreams. Same old Jets, to me, is more about the journey, which invariably ends in the depths of despair despite reaching lofty heights along the way.

It's Richard Todd leading the Jets to a monumental comeback against the Bills in the first round of the playoffs in 1981 having the Jets in position to take the lead late in the 4th quarter, only to throw the ball right to Bill "howdy doody" Simpson in the End-zone.

It's Richard Todd throwing Int after Int in the AFCCG mud bowl (to a DE!) single-handedly causing the Jets to lose to an inferior dolphin team in 1982.

It's going 11-5 in 1985, winning the division and losing a home playoff game to Tony Eason and the Pats.

It's Mark Gastineau leveling Brian Sipe on a late hit on 4th down in the AFC divisional playoff in 1986 which allows the Browns to tie the game sending it into OT, and a Jet loss.

It's Browning Nagle going 21-37-366-2-0 in his first start ever in 1992 and sucking thereafter.

It's Leon Hess thinking firing Pete Carrol and hiring Rich Kotite is an Upgrade.

It's losing the AFCCG in 1998 to the Broncos because the Jets turned the ball over 6 times! (I think 2 or 3 were fumbles by the traditionally reliable Keith Byars).

It's the Jets coming into 1999 loaded for a SB run and seeing VT tear his Achilles tendon in a non-contact injury attempting to cover a botched hand-off. And then watching the normally realistic Bill Parcells march Rick Mirer out there at QB week after week believing pixie dust will suddenly make him competent before turning to Ray Lucas when the season was all but lost.

It's the Jets missing in the playoffs in 2000 after outplaying the hell out of eventual SB champs Ravens in Baltimore in the final week of the year OUT-GAINING the Ravens 524 to 142 yards and 22 first downs to 5 only because the Ravens scored on a 98 int return AND punt returns of 89 and 54 yards.

Its the 2004 10-6 playoff team of Coach Edwards turning the promise of improvement into a 4-12 2005 season.

It's Mangini riding Brett Favre to an 8-3 start in 2008 and then showing us his true coaching ability with a lame Favre leading the Jets to an embarrassing 9-7 finish.

It Rex Ryan's 2010 Jets disposing of Peyton Manning's Colts and Tom Brady's Pats on the road in the playoffs only to fold in the first half against Rashard Mendenhall and the Steeler Defense, then roar back in the 2d half before Shotty managed to steal defeat from the jaws of victory.

It's Rex and Tanny turning the promise of 2 straight AFCCG appearances into a team that has not beaten an opponent with a winning in over 1 year.
    The OP's diatribe is fair but in reality....young fans have NO IDEA of anything we have endured pre 1997.

IMO...what makes it so ridiculous is the success is all around us. PASTS, GIANTS, STEELERS. If we just imitated them... but no Hess and Woody know better.

I Love the JETS but will not pretend they are a well run team... far from it.

BTW...you forgot the Doug Brien field goal misses in 2005.

All Pro

In overtime, I believe, against the Atlanta Falcons.

I always used to wonder if he had won that game......

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Dude. Get over yourself.

YOu have obviously not been at this too long.
    Signed,

SOJF.

But I have and I'm not a SOJF.. The loser tag is in the fans mentality much like some Met fans that left the team when they started to win.. The Steelers had a 40+ year losing streek but didn't become the SOS.. The Cards we play today went from a 1947 championship till they lost in the 2008 Bowl to the Steelers are they the same old Cards?? As I said the Loser is in the Fans that embrace it as a badge of ineptitude which gives them some odd sort of pleasure..

Jet fans have a right to be upset, and i don't understand why a fan could not see it.

When Pennington went down and the jets went from a playoff team to the bottom, fans understood, no one wanted Tanny or Mangini fired. You understand that without your QB your not going to win.

Fans didn't jump off the bridge, because they felt that next year they would compete again. It is when you take away "next year" that fans get upset.
    Players who are performing well- may leave, players who are not performing well
    will stay. There is no money to fill holes from outside sources, and most fans are not please with the last few drafts which due to cap constraints is the only place to get an infusion of talent.

Not every post from individual posters need to be gloom and doom, but you should not put your head in the sand and refuse to discuss negative issues about the team.

All I know is this....since the AFL Jets won SB III, before I was born, all the teams in the NFL have made the Superbowl except for the following franchises:

Cleveland (12 years old)
    Houston (8 years old)
    Jacksonville (17 years old)
    Detroit

Thats it! Thats embarrassing. Sure they haven't all won it. But if your using the argument that just appearing in AFC Championships is a great accomplishment.... then getting to the SB is even a bigger accomplishment....

During that span the Jets are in the bottom third of the entire NFL in winning percentage.........This is not a team on the Mount Rushmore of storied franchises

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Same old Jets was a moniker made up by people to make fun of the Jets. And we have some people on this board who embrace it like a badge of honor. It's kind of stupid in my opinion. People who judge the Jets by whether they win a championship or not are not living in reality. Reality is that they have been one of the more successful teams over the past 15 years. I bet you didn't know that the Jets have the same amount of winning seasons in the past 15 years as the Eagles. I bet you would consider the Eagles a successful franchise over the past 15 years. Lets look at the "facts". Since 1997 the Eagles are 10-9 in the playoffs with 4 conference championship appearances (1-3) and one SB appearance (0-1). The Jets are 7-7 in playoffs with 3 conference championship appearances (0-3) and no SB appearances. There is not much there to distinguish the two teams. But most SOJ fans would like you to believe that we have this recent history of being a bad NFL team when that is just not true. Some people just get off on negative sh*t, and that's what I would call a SOJ fan.

You don't think 5 more playoffs games and a SB appearance make a significant different. Also, how many Div titles do the Eagles have in that span?

Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    You don't think 5 more playoffs games and a SB appearance make a significant different. Also, how many Div titles do the Eagles have in that span?
    and to add to that, NO ONE thinks of the Eagles as a GREAT franchise. But the Kool Aid drinkers think the JETS are something special.

We are NOT.

And most of all, it's the fans here on JI that accept mediocre play and losing year in and year out always saying we have lots of youg players with a great future blah blah blah. Bull $hit.

Great post, well done man!

Now that it appears, thankfully, that the Sanchez era is drawing to a close. I need to add to my Same Old Jets list because, as we know, drafting is a large part of the Jets earning that moniker. It appears the Jets have a fair shot at a top 10 draft pick in 2013. The 10th such pick since 1984. Let's hope it works out better than the vast majority of the previous 9.

Russell Carter
    Al Toon
    Dave Cadigan
    Blair Thomas
    Keyshawn Johnson
    Dewayne Robertson
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    Vernon Gholston
    Mark Sanchez

This is an entertaining post to read, but you missed on the facts. Mark Gastineau hit Bernie Kosar in the back, NOT Brian Sipe. Sipe was long gone in 1986.