Thread: Analysis of JETS starter and depth quality at every position.

Analysis of JETS starter and depth quality at every position.

I'm going to analyze the starters and backups at every position for the Jets. Hope you guys enjoy.

OFFENSE

QB: Sanchez, Tebow, McElroy

Like it or not, we are stuck with Sanchez next year. Tebow is probably gone, and McElroy will probably stay. We should bring in a journeyman backup that has a fair share of starts to give Sanchez competition and to compete with McElroy in case Sanchez goes down.

RB: Greene, Powell, McKnight

None of these guys are starter quality. I'd say Powell is the best of the three, but I simply do not want any of these 3 being our feature back next season. Let Greene walk, keep Powell and McKnight as change of pace backs, and draft a stud or bring in a proven starting quality RB via other means.

FB: Lex Hilliard

Meh. Our running game has sucked this year, but it's hard to tell if Hilliard really plays a role in that. The play of our OL and RB has been questionable, so it's really hard to judge Hilliard as a lead blocker. The difference in our running game before and after the departure of TRich has been night and day. But where you find a good FB these days is beyond me. I say keep him because I like the other things he can do as a runner or out of the backfield.

WR: Holmes, Kerley, Hill, Schilens, Gates, White

The argument can be made that this is the worst group of wide receivers in the league. To think that we've gone from Edwards, Holmes, Cotchery just two seasons ago to this is unbelievable. Absolutely needs to be addressed during the off-season. Spend at least a 2nd rounder, if not a 1st rounder at WR. We need to bring in at least one WR that can be a big contributor next season. Holmes is highly over-rated, but Kerley is a stud and I think Hill will improve greatly once he sheds his "kid" status. Schilens, Gates, and the rest are expendable.

TE: Keller, Cumberland, Reuland

Not as bad as everyone thinks. Keller has the best chemistry with Sanchez out of the entire receiving core. If we want to put Sanchez in the best position to succeed, we can't take away his favorite target. Cumberland and Reuland have been satisfactory this season. We also have a possible fill-in with Hayden Smith if either Cumberland or Reuland don't return next season.

OT: Ferguson, Howard, Smith

I am fine with Ferguson and Howard starting next season. I do think we should draft a tackle in the later rounds that can possibly compete with Howard or be groomed into a starter down the line. Smith will be gone once his contract is up, so we need to lock down depth now.

OG: Slauson, Moore, Ducasse

Slauson and Moore are serviceable starters, but this will definitely be a position of interest this off-season. Moore's contract is up, and he may retire. Assuming he finishes this season strongly, we should offer him a 1 year deal. This team has other issues to focus on, so if we can keep these two going we should. I would definitely draft an OG that can be groomed into a starter once Moore actually does leave. If Moore retires, then we need to bring someone in via free agency or spend a 1st or 2nd rounder here.

C: Mangold, Schlauderaff

We're set.

DEFENSE

DE: Wilkerson, Coples, DeVito

Not an area of concern. I like all three of these guys.

DT: Pouha, Ellis, Harrison

I also like all three of these guys. Nothing to worry about here.

OLB: Pace, Thomas, McIntyre, Sapp

EVERYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT HERE. Pace and Thomas were fine in 2009, but they are not fine anymore. We need to have new starters at both OLB positions next year. We have three options: Draft, FA, or McIntyre. Choose two of the three.

MLB: Harris, Scott, Davis, Mauga, Bellore

I don't think it's any secret that Davis will replace Scott full-time next season. I'm fine with Harris and Davis as our starters, but I would ask Harris to cut his weight down a bit. He is smart and skilled, but he's just too slow the 2012 NFL. Mauga and Bellore are fine as backups.

CB: Revis, Cromartie, Wilson, Lankster, Berry, Fletcher, Walls

Revis and Cromartie might just be the two best cornerbacks in the NFL, and they are absolutely the best starting pair. I would consider spending a 3rd-5th round pick to compete with Wilson and Lankster for the 3rd spot. Wilson and Lankster both have potential but have had lapses at crucial times. Maybe another year will help them, but we need to bring in some potential talent to compete with them.

FS: Landry, Bush

Landry has been great. Re-sign this beast. I would consider moving him to SS, as he fits the mold of a SS more in my eyes. I know it's been said many times, but this defense sorely misses Kerry Rhodes. While Landry is great in the run and screen game, he will not make you pay for making a bad pass. We need a tall, fast, agile, smart free safety that can trick you into making an ill-advised throw and make a nice return out it. Revis, Cromartie, Rhodes (someone like him), and Landry would be by far the best secondary in the league.

SS: Bell, Smith

Bell is old and probably gone after this year. Like I said above, I believe Landry should be moved to this position anyway, so it's not something to worry about. I'm sure we all know that Eric Smith needs to be gone yesterday. How he's still on this team boggles the mind and is surely an indictment of Rex's ability has a head coach.

SPECIAL TEAMS

K: Folk

Folk is money.

P: Malone

Please keep this guy.

KR: McKnight

Yeah he had a bad game against NE, but since he's been starting at KR, he has been one of the best in the league.

PR: Kerley, Wilson

Both of these guys scare me. How can you have someone so shaky going out to return punts? If Jim Leonhard is available, sign him just as a punt returner. I don't care if he calls for a fair catch before the play even starts, just get me someone that can reliably catch the ball. Punt returns for TDs are so uncommon anyway, it's better to have someone who can simply catch the ball without any issues.

CONCLUSION

I know that as a whole the team looks terrible, but when you analyze every position, it really does not look as bad. We definitely need some better skill players on the offense, but we're completely set where it matters most: the offensive and defensive line. Other than that - maybe a safety? maybe a CB? This team just doesn't seem to have too many holes when you really put it under a microscope.

The only thing that really matters: Can Sanchez perform at least like his 2009-2010 self if we can get him some skill players?

Rookie
    You forgot Trufante and I don't think we need another CB since other needs are much greater. Otherwise a nice analysis.

Hall Of Fame
    Nice job.

The only thing I would question is Harris. Losing weight DOES NOT automatically result in gaining speed. Look no further than Scott.

I hope we re-sign Landry and bring back at least one of the Guards. There is a chance that we might have 3 new starters on the OL next year. I am not sure that is a good thing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

nice effort, but you should read up on the jets cap situation and pending FAs before doing a write up. A lot of errors to be found...

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd_Times_A_Charm View Post
    I'm going to analyze the starters and backups at every position for the Jets.
    Why?

All Pro
    Great Job.

I have maintained for sometime that the Jets team is not as bad as many people think. The problems on this team can be solved somewhat with basically 2 players. The 1st is an average QB who can manage the down and distance and the ebb and flo of the game. The 2nd is a Pass rusher at OLber if the Jets insist on staying in this idiotic 34 or at DE if we move fulltime to the 43 which i believe we should play.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    nice effort, but you should read up on the jets cap situation and pending FAs before doing a write up. A lot of errors to be found...
    LOL, we don't have to worry about no stinking cap. We got Tanny!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Great Job.

I have maintained for sometime that the Jets team is not as bad as many people think. The problems on this team can be solved somewhat with basically 2 players. The 1st is an average QB who can manage the down and distance and the ebb and flo of the game. The 2nd is a Pass rusher at OLber if the Jets insist on staying in this idiotic 34 or at DE if we move fulltime to the 43 which i believe we should play.
    I could not agree more. The Jets need to be in a 4-3, because all their talent is on the DL. But the problem is OLB. You can NOT put Pace or Thomas at OLB in a 3-4. They are both 4-3 DE's. Perhaps Davis and McIntyre could play OLB in a 4-3? But I'm just spitballn' because I really have no idea if either has 4-3 OLB speed.

Sadly, the Jets have below average OLB's whether they are in the 4-3 or 3-4. Thanks Tanny.

The Jets ABSOLUTELY need to draft at least 1 QB this year.