Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offensive Gameplan

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Offensive Gameplan

I found it interesting that the gameplan changed significantly when McElroy came into the game, specifically, the winding runs that gained chunks of yardage. I would expect some changes from a QB standpoint, but why the style of rushing attack?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I found it interesting that the gameplan changed significantly when McElroy came into the game, specifically, the winding runs that gained chunks of yardage. I would expect some changes from a QB standpoint, but why the style of rushing attack?
    Who knows how different it was.... Maybe GM is better at changing the run to the proper side based on the defense he sees. Once they got the lead they went ultra conservative to protect the lead and put the game on the Ds shoulders....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something they should have done several games ago to try to gt confidence back to a struggling qb. I also noticed on the TD drive that Greene was on the damn bench were he belonged.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    Who knows how different it was.... Maybe GM is better at changing the run to the proper side based on the defense he sees. Once they got the lead they went ultra conservative to protect the lead and put the game on the Ds shoulders....
    Anybody that was watching the game knows how different it was. There was a shift in running philosophy with counters, traps and winds. How did you not see that? And it has nothing to do with "changing the run to the proper side".

Be more obtuse. Go post in one of the "Down with Mark/Up with Greg" threads.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest, I just think the players gave a better effort for McElroy. We run a lot of counters and pull our Guards a lot (I always complain about Slauson and Ducasse pulling and not blocking anybody, LOL). Greene bounced one outside but that was a "vanilla" running play. I am not sure it was anything more than that. Besides it was only 4 drives, hard to be conclusive with such a small sample size.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody that was watching the game knows how different it was. There was a shift in running philosophy with counters, traps and winds. How did you not see that? And it has nothing to do with "changing the run to the proper side".

Be more obtuse. Go post in one of the "Down with Mark/Up with Greg" threads.
    First off GFY....

Secondly, you ignorant, illiterate, immature tool, you have no idea if GM changed to those plays based on the defensive front or not... I am not claiming it was not different, you just can't say for sure why. I wasn't calling you out in the slightest just adding an opinion and go to insulting someone.... Blow me!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like all of a sudden the coaching got a lot better.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The jets under Ryan have always been better with a simpler approach. THy dumbed it down and just ran the ball. No sg on third and two, a nice bootleg at the goal line. Why didn't they run a slant to Schillens at the goal line?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    First off GFY....

Secondly, you ignorant, illiterate, immature tool,
    you have no idea if GM changed to those plays based on the defensive front or not... I am not claiming it was not different, you just can't say for sure why. I wasn't calling you out in the slightest just adding an opinion and go to insulting someone.... Blow me!

Dude. Take it easy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    To be honest, I just think the players gave a better effort for McElroy. We run a lot of counters and pull our Guards a lot (I always complain about Slauson and Ducasse pulling and not blocking anybody, LOL). Greene bounced one outside but that was a "vanilla" running play. I am not sure it was anything more than that. Besides it was only 4 drives, hard to be conclusive with such a small sample size.
    There were quite a few attempts where McElroy did the hand switch for winds, something I can't remember ever seeing with Sanchez in there. Same for a couple of counters.

First off GFY....

Secondly, you ignorant, illiterate, immature tool, you have no idea if GM changed to those plays based on the defensive front or not... I am not claiming it was not different, you just can't say for sure why. I wasn't calling you out in the slightest just adding an opinion and go to insulting someone.... Blow me!
    Ignorance would be thinking it's plausible that a third-string QB that had no reps in practice was changing plays wholesale at the line. He had a couple of audibles, but he's not changing offensive philosophies. Again, that's just obtuse thinking. And you weren't calling me out, true, but making it out that McElroy was somehow a savior annoyed the crap out of me. I'll pass on the fellatious invitation.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Dude. Take it easy.
    You right, my bad... I lost it there for a minute!!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There were quite a few attempts where McElroy did the hand switch for winds, something I can't remember ever seeing with Sanchez in there. Same for a couple of counters.

Ignorance would be thinking it's plausible that a third-string QB that had no reps in practice was changing plays wholesale at the line. He had a couple of audibles, but he's not changing offensive philosophies. Again, that's just obtuse thinking. And you weren't calling me out, true, but making it out that McElroy was somehow a savior annoyed the crap out of me. I'll pass on the fellatious invitation.
    I apologize... What I can tell you is this... I know for certain that when you have a running play called and come to the line, you are supposed to option to the correct hole on the play. Same play just the correct hole based on the formation. I assume they don't let him run audible so when you here "kill kill" he is just changing the play to the correct hole.

Further, I assume there is a subset of plays that they know he is comfortable with running given he gets little if any time with the starters and is probably running scout team most of the time. In no way do I think that he is the chosen one. I am just not so sure that they are running better plays because they put a new QB in. Cards suck as stopping the run this year and Sanchez could not hit a bull in the ass with a banjo... GMac comes in and we get a few first downs a penalty and boom we score. We still have a long way to go to finding a QB!!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I apologize... What I can tell you is this... I know for certain that when you have a running play called and come to the line, you are supposed to option to the correct hole on the play. Same play just the correct hole based on the formation. I assume they don't let him run audible so when you here "kill kill" he is just changing the play to the correct hole.

Further, I assume there is a subset of plays that they know he is comfortable with running given he gets little if any time with the starters and is probably running scout team most of the time. In no way do I think that he is the chosen one. I am just not so sure that they are running better plays because they put a new QB in. Cards suck as stopping the run this year and Sanchez could not hit a bull in the ass with a banjo... GMac comes in and we get a few first downs a penalty and boom we score. We still have a long way to go to finding a QB!!!
    Exactly, why wasn't the jets running the crap out of the ball? Powell should of had 25 carries and green should not come in until the 4th.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by red75bronco View Post
    Exactly, why wasn't the jets running the crap out of the ball? Powell should of had 25 carries and green should not come in until the 4th.
    Correct... At least if they start GMac next week we will run 3 to 1 vs. pass.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard him do the standard "kill, kill" thing too. I figured he was checking out of a pass to a run, but maybe it was a run adjustment. But I was talking about overall styles. Like I said to DD, I don't think I've ever seen Sanchez do that fake with one hand to the FB and pivot and switch hand-off to the RB. That's what I was (primarily) talking about.

There's no denying the entire team seemed to have a bit more in their step when Sanchez went to the bench, but how that translates down the line is to be determined I suppose.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    19-24 run pass ratio until Sanchez was benched. 19-9 after

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    First off GFY....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard him do the standard "kill, kill" thing too. I figured he was checking out of a pass to a run, but maybe it was a run adjustment. But I was talking about overall styles. Like I said to DD, I don't think I've ever seen Sanchez do that fake with one hand to the FB and pivot and switch hand-off to the RB. That's what I was (primarily) talking about.

There's no denying the entire team seemed to have a bit more in their step when Sanchez went to the bench, but how that translates down the line is to be determined I suppose.
    Like pulling the Goalie in hockey

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know enough about QBing to be sure but is it possible that McElroy has different ball fakes than Sanchez? I know QBs are taught to "sell" their fakes and to do it certain ways on different plays but maybe the Jets give the QBs some leeway in their style.

If anything I would think that the playbook would be simplified, or in Sparano-speak "vanilla", for McElroy.

Football is an emotional game. I just think we got a spark from McElroy today. We have seen this happen before with Vinny and Penny.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The kid DOESNT PRACTICE with the first team. They HAD A LIMITED PLAYBOOK when we went in. They were trying NOT TO LOSE THE GAME.