Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powell vs Greene

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Powell vs Greene

When will Powell get 25 carries? He did all the work on the TD drive. He needs to be the bellcow. Greene can come in the 4th Q

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I don't get these coaches at all... Powell started off in the 1st Q running great and then they put Greene back. Greene may have broke 100 yards today, but he still left another 100 yards on the field with his lack of vision, burst, and his tendency to seek out contact instead of yardage...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greene and Powell are pretty much the same back. Powell will be on the team next year and Greene will not. That said Greene has more to play for right now and they shouldn't risk hurting what will likely be the starting back next year. It is obvious to me that this team has 0 plans to use McKnight. I can only hope we can trade for a back next year and not give up a high pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Greene and Powell are pretty much the same back. Powell will be on the team next year and Greene will not. That said Greene has more to play for right now and they shouldn't risk hurting what will likely be the starting back next year. It is obvious to me that this team has 0 plans to use McKnight. I can only hope we can trade for a back next year and not give up a high pick.
    powell seems to be a bit more well rounded and is a better 3rd down back because he can catch the ball and block better than greene. greene is just a bruiser

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    powell seems to be a bit more well rounded and is a better 3rd down back because he can catch the ball and block better than greene. greene is just a bruiser
    I havent seen him catch or block. You seeing that in practice because he's not doing it on the field.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I havent seen him catch or block. You seeing that in practice because he's not doing it on the field.
    You must've missed the crushing block he put on a blitzer today. Greene would've whiffed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Powell might look like Greene does if he gets 25 carries.

I remember when Greene looked dynamic when he used to spell Jones.

Heavy lies the crown.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the chance b.c I think he does. I just don't think it is an automatic.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Powell actually did make a great blitz pickup today by coming across the face of the QB. Kept Mark from getting killed on that play..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Greene was running well at the end of the game, including a shift to the outside from the inside that I have never seen him do before.

But Powell was good too. A tandem of backs is something we need.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have to admit that Greene doesn't run into the pack all the time like he used to. He actually slides over to the hole sometimes, and as today cut to the outside for more yards. It's the first year he's done that. Someone must have said something.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Powell won the 3rd down job because he was a better blocker than McKnight in the preseason and has shown that during the season. Maybe u aren't watching close enough?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by touchdownjets View Post
    You have to admit that Greene doesn't run into the pack all the time like he used to. He actually slides over to the hole sometimes, and as today cut to the outside for more yards. It's the first year he's done that. Someone must have said something.
    He still plows into guys instead of trying to make them miss. On the one long run he had he could have gained even more yardage by cutting it back inside at the end but he went out of his way to lower his pads and try to hit Rhodes. Rhodes was so low Greene could have easily made him miss if he actually tried too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    Powell won the 3rd down job because he was a better blocker than McKnight in the preseason and has shown that during the season. Maybe u aren't watching close enough?
    When did I say McKnight looked better. I think I said it was obvious he isn't in our long term plans did I not. He can't hold onto the ball. Much better runner and receiver but that means jack if you can't hold on to it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchez View Post
    Powell actually did make a great blitz pickup today by coming across the face of the QB. Kept Mark from getting killed on that play..
    That was a GREAT play! And it wasn't some scrub coming in there, Daryl Washington is one of the best blitzing ILB in the entire NFL and a real beast. Powell stood his ground like a man.

As for him and Greene, I think both are gaining confidence as the season goes on and as the OLine plays better. Sure, they still leave yards out on the field here and there but overall I think they are doing a fine job. You gotta love that they run hard and punish defenders, just like backs for a smashmouth running team should do.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    except that Powell has the ability to actually make people miss.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its a pretty simple equation when looking at powell and greene.

1. Powell is a better receiver and better in pass pro - 3rd down back

2. Powell is being used inside the 10 after his TD runs vs st louis - goaline back

3. He is more shifty and faster - better to be in on first down

He is basically better at every facet of the game then greene, yet they give greene the ball more, it makes no sense

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Sure, they still leave yards out on the field here and there but overall I think they are doing a fine job. You gotta love that they run hard and punish defenders, just like backs for a smashmouth running team should do.
    I was never Greene's biggest fan, but he has definitely played better of late and I'd be fine with him back as part of a rotation. Though I really don't think he should be the starter anymore. He doesn't make a lot of negative plays, hangs onto the ball, and can punish defenders late in a game. So-so, but in the grand scheme of this team's problems he's okay.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Might be a matter of endurance. Greene is bigger and able to take more punishment.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    ground and pound. greene and powell used properly can succeed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1. Powell plays great in the beginning of the game and then basically sits for the next two quarters. Whenever Greene comes in I say to my son how Powell would have gotten more yards out of the same run by making someone miss or popping outside if nothing was inside. I don't understand why he isn't in there most of the time. Greene could come in in the fourth quarter like he used to.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Its a pretty simple equation when looking at powell and greene.

1. Powell is a better receiver and better in pass pro - 3rd down back

2. Powell is being used inside the 10 after his TD runs vs st louis - goaline back

3. He is more shifty and faster - better to be in on first down

He is basically better at every facet of the game then greene, yet they give greene the ball more, it makes no sense