Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: With Pitt and Indy winning = we're done

  1. #21
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    even if we win the next 4, we can't get in.
    You win the award for Most Negative and Reactionary Poster of the Day.

    McElroy has "peaked" and the team is "done". Until the team is mathematically out of it there is still a chance.

  2. #22
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    We don't deserve the playoffs. It'd have been a joke if we had made it in because of Ben's injury.

    We all watch enough NFL football. The team we root for is not playoff-caliber, they've proven it countless times this season, including today.

  3. #23
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,334
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    even if we win the next 4, we can't get in.
    Hardly true. Indy plays Houston twice and we have the tiebreak against them

    Cincy plays Pittsburgh and does not have a cake schedule

    Pittsbrghs schedule is not a cakewalk either. Had Cincy and Pitt lost today we would almost be guaranteed to make it at 9-7. It's more difficult but still very very possible. Not likely, but possible. The schedule is really favorable for the Jets.

  4. #24
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    930
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    We don't deserve the playoffs. It'd have been a joke if we had made it in because of Ben's injury.

    We all watch enough NFL football. The team we root for is not playoff-caliber, they've proven it countless times this season, including today.
    Agreed! I want draft choices! No use winning anymore games this year. I'd rather finish higher in the draft. But you know the luck of the grren, we always manage to screw ourselves either way

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Hardly true. Indy plays Houston twice and we have the tiebreak against them

    Cincy plays Pittsburgh and does not have a cake schedule

    Pittsbrghs schedule is not a cakewalk either. Had Cincy and Pitt lost today we would almost be guaranteed to make it at 9-7. It's more difficult but still very very possible. Not likely, but possible. The schedule is really favorable for the Jets.
    A pretty good site to look at the playoff possibilities is here: http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/afcstandings.html

    Of the teams on the outside looking in, they calculate the Jets have a 7% chance of winning the final wildcard spot, same as the Chargers and quite a bit less than the Bengals.

    CBS.com does a good job explaining the tiebreakers: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,243
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be quite honest with all of you,

    As much as I would love for McElroy to "do the impossible" and get this team to the Playoffs, I think the Jets would've gotten their azz handed to them in the first round, had they made it.


    Now we can simply concentrate on PROPERLY evaluating Greg McElroy as whether he is an NFL-Caliber QB(Starter or Backup).....

  7. #27
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,668
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indy and Pittsburgh must do no better than 1-3 for the Jets to make the playoffs.

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    even if we win the next 4, we can't get in.
    all this soft schedule towards the ends means is that we're end up around 8-8 or something and have a 1st round pick like 15,16 ..... had we just started from scratch and played all young guys we would have developed young players and also got a top 5-7 pick possibly. Good ran franchises know when to tank it ... Spurs did it for Duncan, Colts did it for Luck and so on. You need to know when to start over and rebuild. If you don't luck out and get a franchise guy like Pats did Brady or cut ya cap so you can sign a guy like Saints did Bries then its all about drafting a guy. If you don't start over properly like the Giants did when they got Eli, Packers did rebuilding with Rodgers, and Falcons with Ryan ... you end up like the Cowboys. We're slowly headed towards being what the Cowboys have been. We need to turn this thing upside down and stack up draft picks like crazy and start cutting ties with guys who aren't cutting it.

  9. #29
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    all this soft schedule towards the ends means is that we're end up around 8-8 or something and have a 1st round pick like 15,16 ..... had we just started from scratch and played all young guys we would have developed young players and also got a top 5-7 pick possibly. Good ran franchises know when to tank it ... Spurs did it for Duncan, Colts did it for Luck and so on. You need to know when to start over and rebuild. If you don't luck out and get a franchise guy like Pats did Brady or cut ya cap so you can sign a guy like Saints did Bries then its all about drafting a guy. If you don't start over properly like the Giants did when they got Eli, Packers did rebuilding with Rodgers, and Falcons with Ryan ... you end up like the Cowboys. We're slowly headed towards being what the Cowboys have been. We need to turn this thing upside down and stack up draft picks like crazy and start cutting ties with guys who aren't cutting it.
    you do realize the amount of QB's that bust in the top 5-7 pick range are far greater than scooping up a franchise QB? Look at our own team.

    Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24th overall. Order does not matter.

  10. #30
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    To be quite honest with all of you,

    As much as I would love for McElroy to "do the impossible" and get this team to the Playoffs, I think the Jets would've gotten their azz handed to them in the first round, had they made it.


    Now we can simply concentrate on PROPERLY evaluating Greg McElroy as whether he is an NFL-Caliber QB(Starter or Backup).....
    Agreed. The rest of this year is all about developing some younger players and seeing if McElroy can be good enough to compete for a starting QB job, or at worst a backup for years to someone not named Mark Sanchez.

  11. #31
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Indy and Pittsburgh must do no better than 1-3 for the Jets to make the playoffs.
    So there is a chance?


  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    No matter who starts at QB the rest of the way we're probably not going to go 4-0. I think we'll be 2-2, maybe 3-1, and it will be great to (hopefully) see what McElroy has before pursuing Alex Smith in the off-season to either compete with McElroy and Sanchez, or just McElroy.

  13. #33
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't WANT THE PLAYOFFS.

    WE NEED CHANGE.

    MAJOR CHANGES.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us