Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Hill today

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    No. I'm serious. This kid sucks. WTF is wrong with you people?

This has nothing to do with my belief that Tebow should start over McElroy. People just hate to hate and that's fine.

But to say that Hill played a good game today... based on what? How HORRIBLE he's played all year? It's good for Stephen Hill and that's not saying much. He can't catch and he runs the wrong routes. He's another 2nd round bust pick by Tanny. Who drafts a WR that can't catch the football? Tanny and Rex do because Hill can "block".

His route running sucks, his decision on what route to run is worse, his ability to catch the football is the worst part of his game.

So if I think Hill sucks and he sucked today again I'm being annoying. How about people just having blind homerism about a player because they don't want to admit what they already know? The kid sucks. Period. End of story. He'd have to get better at every aspect of WR in order to even be worth the roster spot.
    LMFAO!!! You obviously dont remember Lavraneus Coles when he first came up......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    LMFAO!!! You obviously dont remember Lavraneus Coles when he first came up......
    Well how about this, if his play ever begins to resemble the big play ability Coles showed while in his prime here then I'll be sure to admit I was wrong.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

This has nothing to do with my belief that Tebow should start over McElroy. People just hate to hate and that's fine.

But to say that Hill played a good game today... based on what? How HORRIBLE he's played all year? It's good for Stephen Hill and that's not saying much. He can't catch and he runs the wrong routes. He's another 2nd round bust pick by Tanny. Who drafts a WR that can't catch the football? Tanny and Rex do because Hill can "block".

His route running sucks, his decision on what route to run is worse, his ability to catch the football is the worst part of his game.

So if I think Hill sucks and he sucked today again I'm being annoying. How about people just having blind homerism about a player because they don't want to admit what they already know? The kid sucks. Period. End of story. He'd have to get better at every aspect of WR in order to even be worth the roster spot.
    This is really silly.

Just comparing him to other good 2nd round picks at WR over the last few years, and you'll see his numbers are pretty much right in line. Yes, he started as the #2 WR, but really he's also in a horrific QB situation. The idea that a rookie player who's been inconsistent at best certainly won't improve is ridiculous. It's the same thing we heard about Brick in 2006, Wilkerson last season, and countless other rookies around the league.

Jordy Nelson: 33 Catches 336 Yards, 2 TDs
    Sidney Rice: 31 Catches 396 Yards, 4 TDs
    Steve Smith: (Giants) 8 Catches 63 Yards - In 5 games

DeSean Jackson: 62 Catches 912 Yards

RIght now Hill is at 21 Catches for 262 Yards and most would consider this a fairly disappointing start. But to write him off and say "he kid sucks. Period. End of story. He'd have to get better at every aspect of WR in order to even be worth the roster spot." is whining for the sake of whining.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thought his technique was better today, but we just dont seem to be using him in ways that would take advantage of his speed and size. Granted on the one short screen he ran the wrong route.

I did like that Mcelroy immediately looked for him as he aimed to get some rhythm.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    This is really silly.

Just comparing him to other good 2nd round picks at WR over the last few years, and you'll see his numbers are pretty much right in line. Yes, he started as the #2 WR, but really he's also in a horrific QB situation. The idea that a rookie player who's been inconsistent at best certainly won't improve is ridiculous. It's the same thing we heard about Brick in 2006, Wilkerson last season, and countless other rookies around the league.

Jordy Nelson: 33 Catches 336 Yards, 2 TDs
    Sidney Rice: 31 Catches 396 Yards, 4 TDs
    Steve Smith: (Giants) 8 Catches 63 Yards - In 5 games

DeSean Jackson: 62 Catches 912 Yards

RIght now Hill is at 21 Catches for 262 Yards and most would consider this a fairly disappointing start. But to write him off and say "he kid sucks. Period. End of story. He'd have to get better at every aspect of WR in order to even be worth the roster spot." is whining for the sake of whining.
    No it isn't. I'm not saying he can't get better either. I'm saying, right now, he sucks. Period. End of story.

And until he gets better ... something that I have zero confidence in ... I'm not gonna be a blind homer because it hurts to admit that all of our high offensive draft picks in the last 5 years have sucked. If he gets better I'll be the first in line with optimism.

But the stats you posted are pretty incriminating, no? That's supposed to be 2nd round WR talent? I thought that WRs were supposed to be able to run routes and catch the football. When they don't possess those skills coming into the NFL, why should I be optimistic that they'll learn how to do it eventually? The odds are heavily stacked against Hill doing this. He should already know how to catch and he should already have a capable ability to run routes. Something more likely to improve is his ability to discern when he should run a certain route.

The kid came out of a school that had no intention of developing him as a pass catching WR. He was used to block for their spread option. It was a stupid pick in the 2nd round. I like the kid. He can fly. But he sucks at WR.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously, take the 1st game of the season out of the equation.

He's got 16 catches for 163 yards in 11 games. That sucks. That's a bust pick.

But to some, this is improvement. That's like saying Gholston improved when he finally got to start a game in the NFL. It was better than he was doing before....

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

But to some, this is improvement. That's like saying Gholston improved when he finally got to start a game in the NFL. It was better than he was doing before....
    but that game happened?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryu79 View Post
    but that game happened?
    Yeah, he had a big impact once in 12 games.

I'm saying his numbers suck. Period. And they are even more reprehensible when you take out the aberration game.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie WR's usually don't make an impact right away.......unless there name is Randy Moss

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    Rookie WR's usually don't make an impact right away.......unless there name is Randy Moss
    And they have a QB named Randall Cunningham.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryu79 View Post
    Thought his technique was better today, but we just dont seem to be using him in ways that would take advantage of his speed and size. Granted on the one short screen he ran the wrong route.

I did like that Mcelroy immediately looked for him as he aimed to get some rhythm.
    Why do they keep running that WR tunnel screen to Schillens? That should be a hill route.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    And they have a QB named Randall Cunningham.
    exactly

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by red75bronco View Post
    Why do they keep running that WR tunnel screen to Schillens? That should be a hill route.
    100%.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Compare Hill to another recent Ga. Tech WR with great physical attributes, Demariyus Thomas.

Thomas's first year he had 22 receptions for 283 yards, 2 TD. Hill has similar numbers with four games left. Now in year 3 Thomas is a 1000 yard WR. Of course it helps Thomas to have Peyton Manning as his QB. But it's not surprising that a player with great physical skills, coming from a college offense that didn't throw a lot, took a couple years to develop.

Hill can do the same. It's neither surprising or alarming that he hasn't put it all together yet.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

But seriously. How do you really feel about Stephen Hill?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

^

LMAO Jets fans

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Southside, buddy old pal.

Are you attacking my thread because I made a fool of you in yours?

You know for a guy that so strongly believes in the intangibles of Tim Tebow and not his subpar numbers and stats, it's ironic that your basis for calling Hill a bust is numbers and stats.

You'd make a great politician.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Compare Hill to another recent Ga. Tech WR with great physical attributes, Demariyus Thomas.

Thomas's first year he had 22 receptions for 283 yards, 2 TD. Hill has similar numbers with four games left. Now in year 3 Thomas is a 1000 yard WR. Of course it helps Thomas to have Peyton Manning as his QB. But it's not surprising that a player with great physical skills, coming from a college offense that didn't throw a lot, took a couple years to develop.

Hill can do the same. It's neither surprising or alarming that he hasn't put it all together yet.
    Agree 100%!!!

That being said, the heartburn with Hill is that our retarded FO felt that he could be a #2 WR immediately rather than picking up a quality veteran WR for immediate help and depth.

He should not have been counted on to contribute in a major way this season.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't judge WRs by their rookie year...it may be the hardest position in the NFL to perform well right away (including QB).

In Reggie Wayne's rookie year (who is going to the HOF) had 345 yards and 0 TDS in 13 games + he had a HOF QB throwing to him. I'm not comparing Hill to Wayne, but the point is, again, you cannot judge any WR by their rookie year.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thought Chris collinsworth made an interesting comment during pats game that hill might be running his routes at one speed and that is full speed. He made analogy that he's like a fastball pitcher and guys in the nfl learned after the buffalo game how to time him. He needs to learn to change speeds to be successful. Give him some time and as noted the work ethic and character are there.