Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Forget McElroy. Go with Tebow.

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    You kind of in a no win situation with Tebow as a Jet this year...

If he does play and plays well all of us haters will say it is because he is playing against crap teams... If he stinks we will pump our chest and say told you so... I don't think he is an NFL QB but what the F... do I know. The Jets coaching staff has refused to give him an opportunity for a reason. Either they think he is no good or are way too loyal to Mark.

Best think for the Jets and Tebow is that he gets his opportunity with a team that will embrace having him next season and give him every opportunity to be a starter. I don't think that will happen but I am pretty sure that it surely won't happen with the Jets!

Yeah, good point on the no win situations.

As for your claim as to what the coaching staff thinks, consider this. The only thing that moved McElroy up on the chart this week was Tebow's injury. Therefore, using your logic, the coaching staff obviously believes that Tebow is better than McElroy. I mean, Rex came right out and said not that long ago that if Mark got injured, Tebow would take his place.

So, are you sure you want to stick with that line of reasoning ?

BTW, I do appreciate your post. Happy to have an actual discussion instead of just reading "Derp, he not good qb in da NFL".

Frankly I would go with the guy who actually managed to produce a TD on the field today for the Jets, but hey, that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Yeah, good point on the no win situations.

As for your claim as to what the coaching staff thinks, consider this. The only thing that moved McElroy up on the chart this week was Tebow's injury. Therefore, using your logic, the coaching staff obviously believes that Tebow is better than McElroy. I mean, Rex came right out and said not that long ago that if Mark got injured, Tebow would take his place.

So, are you sure you want to stick with that line of reasoning ?
    My opinion is that the Jets want to move Tebow via trade in the offseason... By making him inactive, it allowed them to play G-Mac in the game. Now they have a decent reason to play him moving forward.

They may feel that by playing Tebow in their base offense, his trade value will be non existent...Tebow is the number two in theory only!!! Would not surprise me if Sanchez starts next week, although I am hoping to see GMac...

My opinion is that the Jets want to move Tebow via trade in the offseason... By making him inactive, it allowed them to play G-Mac in the game. Now they have a decent reason to play him moving forward.

They may feel that by playing Tebow in their base offense, his trade value will be non existent...Tebow is the number two in theory only!!! Would not surprise me if Sanchez starts next week, although I am hoping to see GMac...
    Why in the world would they put Tebow at #2 "in theory only" and then have McElroy inactive for most the games this year, if Tebow wasn't the actual #2 ? That makes no sense.

Why in the world would they put Tebow at #2 "in theory only" and then have McElroy inactive for most the games this year, if Tebow wasn't the actual #2 ? That makes no sense.
    I actually felt all along that McElroy was the real #2 QB on the roster. I do fear that Tebow is only here for publicity and PSLs.

Even if that was the case, he earned the crazy environment that surrounds him by winning games in "Tebow Time". It's frustrating to watch but you always felt that fear of "what if" starting to take hold of the other team and then, sure as sh!t, Tebow did his thing and the Broncos won.

I hope Tebow stays hurt and gets traded for his own good.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Junk View Post
    I wouldn't use last year's Jets Broncos game as an argument for starting Tebow. That was some of the most hideous QB play, for both teams, that I have ever seen. And if not for Sanchez's pick 6, Tebow wouldn't have had the chance to pull that last drive out of his ass.
    You must be watching different games than me. The most hideous QB played games I've seen are those by Sanchez this year (12 games) and if not for McElroy pulling the game out today, Mark would be 4-8. The last I looked, those hideous games in Denver you talked about last year ended with Tebow and an 8-5 record. Funny how Tebow manages to do that isn't it.

BTW Southside, I'm with you all the way, McElroy is not the future of this team, Tebow has a better shot at that then him.

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Who's being blind?

Give Tebow a chance to play. Mark Sanchez is done. Everyone can see what McElroy is. There's a reason he was a 7th round pick and possibly would have gone completely undrafted if not for the stupidity that pervades in our front office. Where were we picking that year? 28th? So he was 10 picks from being undrafted. Yet he's our franchise QB? Tebow at least has started and played well in this league. Yeah he looks horrible throwing the ball..... IN 2011! He's had a full year to work on his mechanics. He's thrown the ball well in the season when he's gotten a chance with all 5 attempts or whatever.

He's got more tools than McElroy. He doesn't turn the ball over. Sorry, whoever is making up stats about his turnover rate is wrong. 6 INTs and 4 Fumbles lost. That's pretty exceptional for a QB actually. Especially a QB who runs the football. I'd guarantee those fumbles came from being hit in the pocket attempting a pass. The guy doesn't turn it over.
    You've lost your marbles. It's been a traumatic season. Not everyone is emotionally capable of handling it. You should go lie down.
    11 Regular season games: 6 INTs 6 Lost fumbles, 46.5 completion %
    http://www.nfl.com/player/timtebow/4...gs?season=2011

Because they never intended to take Mark out... If Sanchez gets hurt it is a different story but their intention was to have Sanchez start and finish all 16 games. In college I was listed 3 every week with a Senior listed as the backup on the depth chart. Everytime the starter went down, I went in.

Sanchez has played terrible this year, I am not sure the Jets think much of GM but what an indictment on Tebow that the coaching staff refuses to give him a shot. They see him everyday in practice and think he is no good. They will try to move him for a late draft pick in the offseason or a JAG from another team.

In the end it is not about either one of us being right. I can only assume as a Tebow fan that you want to see him play some football and root for one of your favorite players. Makes sense, its just that I don't think it will happen without injury.

You've sat through 4 freaking years of waiting for Mark to develop, yet you and others have written Tebow off after a whopping 16 starts, where he just happens to be 9-7.

Nice.

I always gave you more credit than that Cman.
    What can I say. I go by what I see not by his Fla career or religious beliefs. Just as a NFL QB. Again 30 other NFL teams don't see him as a NFL QB either. We'll see in a couple of years. Sorry to disappoint you.

There's absolutely NO good reason to start Tebow now. I mean, yeah, I could agree with you if McElroy had thrown a couple of picks and totally inaccurate. But that wasn't the case. Granted, it was only a quarter and a half, but he did what was asked of him. He was responsible with the football. He made plays when he had to AND he got us the win.

No, you cannot penalize McElroy just to uphold something as stupid as the depth chart.

McElroy should start until the CS finds reason to replace him. They have no reason right now.

All Pro
    By making him inactive, it allowed them to play G-Mac in the game. Now they have a decent reason to play him moving forward.
    +1

It's more than just a coincidence that Rex decided to bench Sanchez in the first game where Tebow was inactive and McElroy was active. He used the most graceful way possible to solve the Tebow problem, much like the Broncos did by bringing in Manning.

I give credit to Rex for this move, and he would be a fool to not stick with McElroy at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    What can I say. I go by what I see not by his Fla career or religious beliefs. Just as a NFL QB. Again 30 other NFL teams don't see him as a NFL QB either. We'll see in a couple of years. Sorry to disappoint you.
    Hah, and 31 NFL teams didn't think McElroy was worth drafting at all. We scooped up his sweet set of skills with 208th overall pick. And it's because he doesn't have the ability to play QB in the NFL. Period.

Hah, and 31 NFL teams didn't think McElroy was worth drafting at all. We scooped up his sweet set of skills with 208th overall pick. And it's because he doesn't have the ability to play QB in the NFL. Period.
    I guess the same logic goes with Tom Brady... People have actually seen Tebow play in the NFL and are not enamored with what he brings to the table as a QB. Otherwise he would be starting someplace right now...

I guess the same logic goes with Tom Brady... People have actually seen Tebow play in the NFL and are not enamored with what he brings to the table as a QB. Otherwise he would be starting someplace right now...
    Yeah and Tom Brady is the exception to the rule and had a much different college career than the guy with 27 starts.

Seriously, can we stop trying to bring in Tom Brady as an excuse that our late round picks can play?

I'm guessing McElroy will have a longer NFL QB career than Tebow

Yeah and Tom Brady is the exception to the rule and had a much different college career than the guy with 27 starts.

Seriously, can we stop trying to bring in Tom Brady as an excuse that our late round picks can play?
    Not sure I follow this...

Regardless, Arian Foster wasn't even drafted! Kurt Warner!

Come on... Football people have seen Tebow in the NFL and are not impressed. Not certain it will happen but McErloy is getting his chance now. Lets see what happens. I am not overly optimistic but I think it will be better than what we have been seeing from our QB play the last 16 weeks...

Does Sanchez even dress next week? Two active QBs would have to be Tebow and McElroy.

Banned
    I'm convinced that this team quit on Mark Sanchez. There have been really interesting points being made about the attitude of the team once Greg came in. It was a case of "Please, anyone BUT Sanchez!" Many comments have been made about how the OLine played better, the RBs played better, the defense got some more life, the stadium was rocking, and apparently Santonio Holmes was going ballistic in his luxury suite.

I think Tebow is a better leader, has more of that special stuff, and he's more of a threat with his legs. I think the talk about Tebow's accuracy is legitimate but also somewhat over blown. He has barely any reps throwing to these guys.

Let's be honest. 5-7 for 29 yards and a TD. Is that really what we're looking for? He played turnover free and extremely safe at the QB position. That's not going to cut it in this league. The big thing to remember is that McElroy didn't make stupid mistakes like Mark did. But that is exactly how Tebow plays too. He doesn't turn the ball over. As bad as he throws at times, he doesn't throw a lot of INTs. You can argue that it's because his throws are SO inaccurate that no body can catch it and that's valid at time. But he also throws a lot of good TDs too. I think the time off that he's had to work on the mechanics (and no I'm not that confident in the coaches on the Jets to actually coach this) he might just be a little bit better right now.

At the end of the day it will at least be exciting. I'll tell you what I'm not interested in seeing, Brooks Bollinger part 2. I don't see anything in Greg McElroy that tells me he's the answer.
    So do you actually think his teammates who called him "terrible" an "athlete", among other things would be super excited to have him as their QB? Rex would lose the team if he started Tebow, his teammates practice with him everyday and they have no faith in him whatsoever. Get over it, he's not going to play.

Quote Originally Posted by vinniekt View Post
    You must be watching different games than me. The most hideous QB played games I've seen are those by Sanchez this year (12 games) and if not for McElroy pulling the game out today, Mark would be 4-8. The last I looked, those hideous games in Denver you talked about last year ended with Tebow and an 8-5 record. Funny how Tebow manages to do that isn't it.

BTW Southside, I'm with you all the way, McElroy is not the future of this team, Tebow has a better shot at that then him.
    I'm not defending Sanchez and if you read my post I said he was terrible in that Broncos game last year ("most hideous QB play, for both teams").

The fact is, if the Denver defense didn't play lights out last year, they aren't sniffing the playoffs.

Do you think if Tebow started every game this year, this team is any better than 5-7? Find me games some games that Tebow's magic along with his sub 50% completion percentage would've overcome a poor defensive performance.