Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: McElroy's Ceiling Is Chad Pennington

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    Take a look at his draft profiles. Athletically limited, lacks superior arm strength. But highly intelligent, highly efficient, and doesn't turn the ball over.
    That is what I have been saying for the past month. What is wrong with that? How many more games would we have won without the human t/o machine behind center?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    The guy has thrown 7 passes in an NFL game...are we already going to start predicting his ceiling?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    No, he has a long way to go but in this garbage time of 2012, we should see what we have here. If anyone is thinking playoffs they are kidding themselves, especially if they think Sanchez, or Tebow for that matter, give us the best chance to win.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Not for nothing, but there are so many late round and UFA NFL quarterbacks that have turned into gems in the last several years that making that determination before seeing what he has is just ignorant.

As far as I can see he's the certainly the best we have currently. No one can be worse than Sanchez and Tebow isn't even an option imo.
    Way to say it Sooth.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    pennington was a good QB before getting hurt, and he was not a big game player...if McElroy can be the pre injury chad pennington with a nose for playing well in a big game...i would be ecstatic.

look at the games he played at Bama. Played in a few big games wouldn't you say?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    ^ Kid needs to start lifting weights to strengthen that throwing arm.
    Since the draft, he has already improved the strngth in the arm. Rex said it in training camp and Mac went through it in the post game interview last night.

Veteran
    I guess this is why Jets fans end up hating so passionately, because they are instantly willing to love so blindly? I guess that's what years of suffering will do

And I will take that for the next four games + next season over Mark Turnoverchez.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    I guess this is why Jets fans end up hating so passionately, because they are instantly willing to love so blindly? I guess that's what years of suffering will do
    It is not that. It is finding what you have on your roster after this abortion of a year. If he turns out to be the guy, you can use the draft to improve other parts of this team. Right now, he has the best intangibles on the field. He showed fight, not the moping, feeling sorry for himself that Sanchez always does. Oh, and although it was not much more than one quarter of the game he didn't turn the ball over - something Sanchez did on his first damned play. I guess it was unfortunate. too bad. as Sanchez would say.

Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    It is not that. It is finding what you have on your roster after this abortion of a year. If he turns out to be the guy, you can use the draft to improve other parts of this team. Right now, he has the best intangibles on the field. He showed fight, not the moping, feeling sorry for himself that Sanchez always does. Oh, and although it was not much more than one quarter of the game he didn't turn the ball over - something Sanchez did on his first damned play. I guess it was unfortunate. too bad. as Sanchez would say.
    Sanchez is an enigma to me. By most accounts, he works hard. This is what Cardinal defenders said about yesterdays game:

Cardinals defensive tackle Dan Williams was surprised to see Sanchez struggle based on what he saw early in the game.

“Sanchez was actually calling our defensive calls out at the line of scrimmage,’’ Williams said. “He called our plays out for the first two series. You can definitely tell he does his homework. You can definitely tell he’s a smart quarterback.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...81IPzrM3RiCTOI

His number of interceptions - 13 - and fumbles lost -7- are not off the charts.

So, why does he so consistently look bad? It appears that he simply makes poor decisions and is prone panic in game situations. Am I missing something here? If this is the case, he is not fixable.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Sanchez is an enigma to me. By most accounts, he works hard. This is what Cardinal defenders said about yesterdays game:

So, why does he so consistently look bad? It appears that he simply makes poor decisions and is prone panic in game situations. Am I missing something here? If this is the case, he is not fixable.
    sanchez is not an accurate qb. this, and he doesn't protect the ball. i believe he works hard and does his film work.

No, I don't think you are missing anthing...

The game has not slowed down for him.
    Usually a QB has an incredible upper hand when he knows what the defense is trying to do. To me it’s a sign, he’s damaged goods.

Oh and also there's no fix for ****ty accuracy.

All Pro

Yesterday, out of his first 8 passes, 3 went to the other team. He leads the league the past 3 years in TO's in the Red Zone. Many of them were pick 6's which, instead of you scoring 7, the other team scores 7. 14 point differential. The guy fumbled by running into the ass of his O Lineman. The guy shows zero confidence and you never feel confident he can win a game for you. Need more?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    No, I don't think you are missing anthing...

The game has not slowed down for him.
    Usually a QB has an incredible upper hand when he knows what the defense is trying to do. To me it’s a sign, he’s damaged goods.

Oh and also there's no fix for ****ty accuracy.
    And on top of that, something you cannot fix, is he does NOT see the field at all. He doesn't even see wide open receivers most of the time and when he does his throws are always late or not online.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    Funny how some people think I'm selling McElroy short by comparing him to Pennington and others think it's wildly optimistic. I meant it as a compliment, by the way. I am a big Pennington fan.

And I'm not really going out on a limb or making a bold prediction. "Ceiling" doesn't mean "this is what he'll be", it means this is what the fundamentals suggest is the best-case scenario.
    Some a$$ hats are comparing him to Brady

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    You have to love internet scouts.

Anyone at the game could see arm strength was not an issue. Had as much zip as Sanchez and seemed much improved. Pretty much, backing up reports that he improved through off season strength training and by working on mechanics.

Then Rex mentioned that never saw someone improve his arm strength like that.
    Then you come here and the cliches roll.

Why does talking out of your ass make some.think it makes them smart. Watch it unfold instead of making predictions
    And the OP, what was the ceiling for Brady, Romo, Brees, Wilson, or the flip side with Leaf, Couch a Young efc.
    I appreciate the love! I'm doing no scouting, internet or otherwise. I'm drawing a fairly straightforward inference from the scouting that has actually been done and that is just a Google search away. True, scouting is often off, predictions are frequently wrong, and you have to play the games to see who wins them. Okay then, let's shut down the board. Turn the lights off on your way out.

If you believe that Gmac's ceiling is Chad then you have to be an idiot to want him to be the starter.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    No it isn't. Chad Pennington came close to winning league MVP in 2 different seasons. You think McElroy will ever accomplish that?
    Dont you mean CPOY?

Jets Insider VIP
    I for one, welcome our new QB with open arms

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    If you believe that Gmac's ceiling is Chad then you have to be an idiot to want him to be the starter.
    To take a line out of the wrecks ryan rep. Right now, he gives us the best chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    Yesterday, out of his first 8 passes, 3 went to the other team. He leads the league the past 3 years in TO's in the Red Zone. Many of them were pick 6's which, instead of you scoring 7, the other team scores 7. 14 point differential. The guy fumbled by running into the ass of his O Lineman. The guy shows zero confidence and you never feel confident he can win a game for you. Need more?
    No. I was done with Sanchez a few weeks ago. I just find the manner of his crappy play to be interesting. Basically, he's a hard working guy, with enough physical ability to justify being a high pick in the draft, who can make pre-snap reads of the defense, but is prone to committing embarrassing errors at the worst possible time. If this stuff is true I think I have a better understanding why Rex stuck with him for more than 3.5 years. He gives you every reason to believe he can get the job done and you enter a twilight zone of denial believing he can not possibly continue to make these terrible plays.