Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McElroy's Ceiling Is Chad Pennington

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

McElroy's Ceiling Is Chad Pennington

Take a look at his draft profiles. Athletically limited, lacks superior arm strength. But highly intelligent, highly efficient, and doesn't turn the ball over.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy has thrown 7 passes in an NFL game...are we already going to start predicting his ceiling?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign me up.

Better than anything Sanchez can give us now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    same old same old jet fans need to shut the hell up and enjoy the ride mcelroy will give us. thanks

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    The guy has thrown 7 passes in an NFL game...are we already going to start predicting his ceiling?

From his college career, his combine, his preseason play, and his series' today, yes, I'm going to start predicting his ceiling. All it means is that I'm highly confident (say 50-to-1) that he will not ever be a *better* NFL quarterback than Chad Pennington. That says nothing about where he'll fall below that.

And yes, with the way this team is built, sign me up for that, too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No it isn't. Chad Pennington came close to winning league MVP in 2 different seasons. You think McElroy will ever accomplish that?

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    same old same old jet fans need to shut the hell up and enjoy the ride mcelroy will give us. thanks
    Not for nothing, but there are so many late round and UFA NFL quarterbacks that have turned into gems in the last several years that making that determination before seeing what he has is just ignorant.

As far as I can see he's the certainly the best we have currently. No one can be worse than Sanchez and Tebow isn't even an option imo.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post

Come on Frankie...don't you know by now all the incredibly renowned NFL talent evaluators that post here??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    By just playing and forcing suckchez to the bench....is worth waaaaaay more then can be measured!!!!

the suckchize is finished!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Come on Frankie...don't you know by now all the incredibly renowned NFL talent evaluators that post here??
    I will take credit with saying Sanchez sucked from day one!!!
    Been calling for McElroy to get his chance!!!
    Best day in years for me today!!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I liked Chad Pennington...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    pennington was a good QB before getting hurt, and he was not a big game player...if McElroy can be the pre injury chad pennington with a nose for playing well in a big game...i would be ecstatic.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    By just playing and forcing suckchez to the bench....is worth waaaaaay more then can be measured!!!!

the suckchize is finished!!!
    Rex will start Sanchez next week. You know it deep down There is no way we get rid of Sanchez that easy.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny how some people think I'm selling McElroy short by comparing him to Pennington and others think it's wildly optimistic. I meant it as a compliment, by the way. I am a big Pennington fan.

And I'm not really going out on a limb or making a bold prediction. "Ceiling" doesn't mean "this is what he'll be", it means this is what the fundamentals suggest is the best-case scenario.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    Take a look at his draft profiles. Athletically limited, lacks superior arm strength. But highly intelligent, highly efficient, and doesn't turn the ball over.
    Sign me up. Pennington pre shoulder surgeries was a good QB who would have gone to a Superbowl if t wasn't for Herman Edwards not playing to win in Pittsburgh.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's far too early to have any sort of definitive conclusion on McEloy's ceiling. With that said, I'll take his potential efficiency and ball security over anything else the other quarterbacks on the roster have to offer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We all liked to joke about Pennington and his "noodle-arm" but compared to what we had with Sanchez, he's friggin' Montana in comparison.

I'm all for Greg McElroy being this team's STARTING QB(at least to hold the fort until the Jets draft and groom their Franchise QB).

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    if mcelroy can work a little on his arm strength I could definitely see him being a decent QB. he seems to be a good decision maker on the field, can make some plays with his feet, and is pretty accurate. arm strength doesn't mean much if you can't get the ball in the right spot anyway. I'm excited to see what this kid can do

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Kid needs to start lifting weights to strengthen that throwing arm.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    I'll take it.