Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: McElroy's Ceiling Is Chad Pennington

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    No. I was done with Sanchez a few weeks ago. I just find the manner of his crappy play to be interesting. Basically, he's a hard working guy, with enough physical ability to justify being a high pick in the draft, who can make pre-snap reads of the defense, but is prone to committing embarrassing errors at the worst possible time. If this stuff is true I think I have a better understanding why Rex stuck with him for more than 3.5 years. He gives you every reason to believe he can get the job done and you enter a twilight zone of denial believing he can not possibly continue to make these terrible plays.
    in other words, sanchez can't take his practices with him on sundays. he has all the tools and seems to have put in the time in the film room too. he can make big throws, but it's all the little ones he botches.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    No. I was done with Sanchez a few weeks ago. I just find the manner of his crappy play to be interesting. Basically, he's a hard working guy, with enough physical ability to justify being a high pick in the draft, who can make pre-snap reads of the defense, but is prone to committing embarrassing errors at the worst possible time. If this stuff is true I think I have a better understanding why Rex stuck with him for more than 3.5 years. He gives you every reason to believe he can get the job done and you enter a twilight zone of denial believing he can not possibly continue to make these terrible plays.
    And I think that, as silly as it sounds, there's at least one coach in the league who has a terrible quarterback situation and likes Sanchez enough as a project to take his Bizarro World salary off of our books.

We saw "Ryan Lindley" play against us. I'm sure he tried hard, and I'm sure he's usually better than that, but that's what hopeless looks like, not Sanchez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    And I think that, as silly as it sounds, there's at least one coach in the league who has a terrible quarterback situation and likes Sanchez enough as a project to take his Bizarro World salary off of our books.

We saw "Ryan Lindley" play against us. I'm sure he tried hard, and I'm sure he's usually better than that, but that's what hopeless looks like, not Sanchez.
    Any options you would like to present?
    Been trying to think of a team this stupid for weeks now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If McElroy's ceiling in CP, so what?

If he shows to be a good player, great we have a QB. If he shows he is only a backup level QB, great, we spent a late 7th on a decent backup QB. That's great value at that place in the draft. And backup QB's are valuable. At least now he'll have some game experience. If he proves to be awful, well, not ideal, but then you know you need to bring in a new backup QB.

I think he'll be ok. But at least if he plays, we'll know. And if Sanchez does have anything left, maybe sitting a few weeks and watching will help him.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gcherd View Post
    Chad Pennington is Chad Pennington...Tannebaum & Rex need to go get Chad off the Kentucky horse farm & get him ready for opening day 2013.

At age 37 the Jets can get 3-5 years of quality football.
    You sir, are insane. In a highly entertaining fashion of course

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    I will take credit with saying Sanchez sucked from day one!!!
    Been calling for McElroy to get his chance!!!
    Best day in years for me today!!!!
    From day one is a stretch, taking credit for nonsense just made any credibility evaporate

But McElroy has been a proven winner in college and a far better record and experience in college than sanchez FWIW

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    sanchez is not an accurate qb. this, and he doesn't protect the ball. i believe he works hard and does his film work.
    He turns the ball over way too much.

Hes number two out of active QBs in turnovers, 1 behind Eli.

Eli is in his 9th season, Sanchez his 4th.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    is he a china doll? if not, sign me up. he showed enough to be successful if they can run the ball. also he's better athletically than chad was because he can run way better. given his background he probably knows the game way better than sanchez too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    Take a look at his draft profiles. Athletically limited, lacks superior arm strength. But highly intelligent, highly efficient, and doesn't turn the ball over.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is that supposed to be a bad thing or something?

Watching the way Sanchez has played over the past two years has made me yearn for the days of Pennington.

So you're telling me that McElroy's upside is that of a highly cerebral, supremely accurate QB who is actually capable of reading a defense?

Well that sounds just swell.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    Take a look at his draft profiles. Athletically limited, lacks superior arm strength. But highly intelligent, highly efficient, and doesn't turn the ball over.
    That's just fine. The point is, Sanchez is never going to work.

And look at it this way, McElroy is likely never going to be the answer either, but if we could have another Chad Pennington playing as our 2nd stringer?

I'd sign up for that in a NY minute. That's solid depth for the future.