Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 90

Thread: McElroy's Ceiling Is Chad Pennington

  1. #41
    If we had a healthy Chad pennington in Rexs first 2 years we go to the Super Bowl. If this kid can be Chad then after drafting a RB aWR, and replenishing the OL we might have a chance to make some noise next year. If the Jets have to find a QB then the Jet have to waste another year developing. Im hoping Mcelroy works out it would help this team big time if they dont have to draft a QB in the first round.

  2. #42
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    624
    There was a play where McElroy rolled out to his right. There was noone open and he was being chased down so he threw it into the stands just like any other NFL QB would do. I remember thinking at the time that I couldn't recall ever seeing Sanchez do that once in 3 1/2 yrs. If this is a case of selective memory then I guess it's proof of how inept Sanches seems.

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,347
    You have to love internet scouts.

    Anyone at the game could see arm strength was not an issue. Had as much zip as Sanchez and seemed much improved. Pretty much, backing up reports that he improved through off season strength training and by working on mechanics.

    Then Rex mentioned that never saw someone improve his arm strength like that.
    Then you come here and the cliches roll.

    Why does talking out of your ass make some.think it makes them smart. Watch it unfold instead of making predictions
    And the OP, what was the ceiling for Brady, Romo, Brees, Wilson, or the flip side with Leaf, Couch a Young efc.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 12-03-2012 at 08:23 AM.

  4. #44
    He's good enough to win a few games this season to screw up the jets draft position.

  5. #45
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,347
    Quote Originally Posted by nabwong View Post
    He's good enough to win a few games this season to screw up the jets draft position.
    Because in a thread discussing if a 7th round pic can have the ceiling of a higher pick as with Brady etc, thinking that you should tank a season is ironic.

    And goofy

  6. #46
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Johnsburg
    Posts
    1,337
    I'm a bit confused. What was this spark? I saw a JAG hand the ball off a bunch of times against a worn down Cards defense. Then he threw a one foot td pass. Hopefully he's a player, but I'm not sure.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Because in a thread discussing if a 7th round pic can have the ceiling of a higher pick as with Brady etc, thinking that you should tank a season is ironic.

    And goofy
    I never think u shd tank a season. I'm just stating a reality. Wish they'd gone with him the whole season in fact. Only Rex and the whole staff couldn't see he was the best QB on the roster. He might not have the physical attributes, but he makes better decisions than the other:.

  8. #48
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,347
    Quote Originally Posted by nabwong View Post
    I never think u shd tank a season. I'm just stating a reality. Wish they'd gone with him the whole season in fact. Only Rex and the whole staff couldn't see he was the best QB on the roster.
    No the reality is that draft picks are a crap shoot, you try and win every game that you can.

    You make it sound as if losing and getting a slightly higher pick is a great thing. The reality is if a 7th rounder can outplay a 5th overall you shouldn't be so worried about draft position
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 12-03-2012 at 08:43 AM.

  9. #49
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,347
    Quote Originally Posted by chops44 View Post
    I'm a bit confused. What was this spark? I saw a JAG hand the ball off a bunch of times against a worn down Cards defense. Then he threw a one foot td pass. Hopefully he's a player, but I'm not sure.
    If that is what you saw you shouldn't comment.

    The D picked it up too. Oh wait, the Cards were tired.

    Funny, they weren't tired on the series before McElroy against Mark. It was just a coincidence that McElroy had the only TD drive of the game right after Mark tired them out.

    You can't make this stupid sh1t up

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjets1969 View Post
    If we had a healthy Chad pennington in Rexs first 2 years we go to the Super Bowl. If this kid can be Chad then after drafting a RB aWR, and replenishing the OL we might have a chance to make some noise next year. If the Jets have to find a QB then the Jet have to waste another year developing. Im hoping Mcelroy works out it would help this team big time if they dont have to draft a QB in the first round.
    Revisionist history is fun, but the defense (or lack thereof) is what kept us out of the Superbowl.

  11. #51
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,347
    Quote Originally Posted by how dare you View Post
    Revisionist history is fun, but the defense (or lack thereof) is what kept us out of the Superbowl.
    Hm, I'd guess a couple of extra regular season wins, a home playoff game or a bye might have helped a bit.

    They won road playoff games, underdogs the whole way. Losing to a team who made it to the SB, in their house each time as big dogs.

  12. #52
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,651
    Images
    142
    Chad Pennington would have been the perfect QB for a Rex Ryan/defense first team.

    If McElroy becomes that, I would be thrilled.

  13. #53
    The value of determining if McElroy can be a long term answer is far greater than draft position next year. There are no top tier QB's coming out in the draft. There's really no top tier players at all. The value at 15 vs 1 isn't all that great. If McElroy stinks and we lose the next 4 then we're still going to have a fairly high pick. If he plays well enough and shows he can be the guy next year, that's far more valuable than a few draft spots.

  14. #54
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    6,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    From his college career, his combine, his preseason play, and his series' today, yes, I'm going to start predicting his ceiling. All it means is that I'm highly confident (say 50-to-1) that he will not ever be a *better* NFL quarterback than Chad Pennington. That says nothing about where he'll fall below that.

    And yes, with the way this team is built, sign me up for that, too.
    Pennington, pre-shoulder injuries, maybe. This guy looks a lot zippier than later-career Pennington.

  15. #55
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Cocoa Beach, Fl
    Posts
    3,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    Take a look at his draft profiles. Athletically limited, lacks superior arm strength. But highly intelligent, highly efficient, and doesn't turn the ball over.
    Tom Brady...draft profile..Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

  16. #56
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,300
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Sign me up. Pennington pre shoulder surgeries was a good QB who would have gone to a Superbowl if t wasn't for Herman Edwards not playing to win in Pittsburgh.
    Pennington could hardly throw the Ball in that Pittsburg game due to the condition of his shoulder which needed surgery weeks after the lost. Furthermore, had the Jets won that game they were going to NE the following week to play the Patriots.

    No way the Jets were winning that game with the way Chad was throwing the football. The kid was courageous but it was obvious his shoulder was bad.

  17. #57
    This guy is a winner, has been for years. He is not a game manager, he is a leader and Sanchez is not. Only Rex and the Jets can ruin a player like him. Look at the throws he made, on target and only where our receiver can make the throw. His arm strength looked pretty good yesterday. He can make the NFL throws that Sanchez can't.

  18. #58
    give mcelroy a week of practice with the starters and see what he does against jacksonville. he cant do any worse than sanchez has done through 11 games this season.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    The value of determining if McElroy can be a long term answer is far greater than draft position next year. There are no top tier QB's coming out in the draft. There's really no top tier players at all. The value at 15 vs 1 isn't all that great. If McElroy stinks and we lose the next 4 then we're still going to have a fairly high pick. If he plays well enough and shows he can be the guy next year, that's far more valuable than a few draft spots.
    That's a very very good point, considering that Sanchez is definitely not the future of the franchise at this point. If McElroy works out it would be better than trying to draft a QB and hoping for better. The kids been in the system a few years now, it's worth giving him the rest of the season to see what we've got in him.

  20. #60
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,300
    Quote Originally Posted by gcherd View Post
    Chad Pennington is Chad Pennington...Tannebaum & Rex need to go get Chad off the Kentucky horse farm & get him ready for opening day 2013.

    At age 37 the Jets can get 3-5 years of quality football.
    I agree with 1 part of this post. The Jets organization need to go get Chad Pennington from where ever he is today. IMHO, He would make the perfect Offensive Coordinator for this team.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us