Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dissecting the benching of Sanchez

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Let's start with this: The season is over, so whatever happened today or for the next few weeks against the worst teams in the NFL is immaterial. We can go 5-0 to close it out, McElroy can look like Montana, none of it matters. Without the ability to play a good (or even average) NFL team in the next month the opportunity to validate this kid or what's left of this team is gone. The Jets have a fantastic record against losing teams in the past two years; we haven't beaten a single elite opponent. Sanchez would have won today's game too, all it took was a dinky-doink drive and a late-hit penalty.

As far as Ryan's motivation goes, please, common sense. Tebow is the #2 quarterback on the team and he sucks. You don't go to the #3 unless you have no other option, especially since your owner is a Tebow lover and everyone on the staff was sore after McElroy's 20 minute Jets trashing on Alabama radio.

SAR I
    I don't know how you could say that. He was awful yesterday. It's much more likely Sanchez would have thrown a pick 6 another INT. than a TD drive.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Very Interesting Week

The minute he came in the entire level of the team jumped 100%. This tells us the team has no confidence in Sanchez. On the other hand Mike T. job is on line line for many things and Sanchez may be #1. If he is not the Jet starting QB, bye bye Mike T.

Also notice, they are in lock down, for now, I have never heard so many no comments in my life, Stephen Hill was very funny answering the questions on the QB topic.

Lastly, Chad sat for quite awhile before he was put in so who knows what we have here. All I can stay is that that Greg M. ran a professional offense and I haven't seen that in over 4 years. I have seen plenty of Sanchez and I want to see what Greg M. can do. And the million dollars question is, was Rex allowed to take Sanchez out of the game. This week will tell.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfanfromthestart View Post
    The minute he came in the entire level of the team jumped 100%. This tells us the team has no confidence in Sanchez. On the other hand Mike T. job is on line line for many things and Sanchez may be #1. If he is not the Jet starting QB, bye bye Mike T.

Also notice, they are in lock down, for now, I have never heard so many no comments in my life, Stephen Hill was very funny answering the questions on the QB topic.

Lastly, Chad sat for quite awhile before he was put in so who knows what we have here. All I can stay is that that Greg M. ran a professional offense and I haven't seen that in over 4 years. I have seen plenty of Sanchez and I want to see what Greg M. can do. And the million dollars question is, was Rex allowed to take Sanchez out of the game. This week will tell.
    That's very true. I think the entire team has had enough of the kind of spirit-killing turnovers that Mark Sanchez deals out every single game. Not just the fans want a change, the players want it too.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was like pulling a goalie after 4 goals, it gave them an opportunity to look Briefly at Greg without leap frogging over Tebow. A needed spark and golden opportunity I would be shocked if Sanchez doesn't play out the season the remainder of witch they can determine to fish, or cut bait. Either way, they have played with 1 phase all year and most don't realize it is the one you want to establish first, Defense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Tebow injury opened the door to go straight to the only other legitimate quarterback on the roster- McElroy.

Until Tebow got hurt, the only other option Ryan would have had was to put an even worse quarterback than Sanchez under center, and that wouldn't have given us the best chance to win. Ryan couldn't go straight from Sanchez to McElroy with a healthy Tebow because of the mess it would have caused; Tebow's injury was a convenient solution.

SAR I
    +1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    Holy Crap... I agree with you... The Myans might be right!
    LOL, Conkbot, we only have a few days, see ya on the other side!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the Jet salary cap page it looks like Mcelroy is signed for dirt cheap....as such the only hope IMO for 2013 is to play Mcelroy the rest of the year and hope he shows enough to bring him in next year and have a real QB competition - with Sanchez's huge contract no other QB is coming here....it is Mcelroy or bust at this point....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    This, I don't debate. I believe the Jets mismanaged Sanchez from the beginning.

A top 5 draft pick potential franchise QB is the most precious thing in the NFL, especially at the time Sanchez was drafted with the salary implications.

There is so much at stake, and the fact that they put this most precious commodity in the hands of Schitty and Cavanaugh is professional malpractice. Plus, drafting and starting a rookie QB on a veteran team makes no sense. You can't start a rookie day 1 and tell him, "Don't screw it up." That's not the way to learn the position. Then they change the receiving corps every year and then worst of all make a cancer like Holmes the centerpiece of the passing attack.

But the bottom line is that Sanchez couldve still overcome all this if he wasn't such an idiot on the field and make stupid mistake after stupid mistake.
    I agree with almost all that you have written.

Sanchez' stupidity on the field could be the result of what you have written in the previous paragraph.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    I find it super ironic that McElroy was subbed in for the game when Tebow was inactive...this is NOT A COINCIDENCE FOLKS. Feels almost planned out.
    Rex in his presser yesterday responded to this question saying "I feel confident with Mark or Greg, Tim also" that sounds like Tebow is an after thought and threw his name in the conversation to keep the blood hounds from over analyzing it. Its clear he does not believe Tebow is a viable option.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I think your post is an example of "FRACTURED LOGIC". Holy sh-t, dude....

I mean...the thought that him being the #2 QB due to WOODY'S Pressuring-of-Rex to play him didn't occur to you?

Even Rex knew that Tebow sucked and now that he finally got the excuse he wanted to go to the only other REAL QB the Jets had, Rex can breathe a bit easier and not have to worry about Tebow ever again....
    Remember how Rex, Woody, and Tanny, with a straight face, tried to convince JETS fans that everyone was on the same page about the Tebow trade?

Another example of treating us as fools

If this is true, about how Rex had to trick his move to McElroy, which looks very likely that it is, it shows you how dysfunctional the JETS really are.

We are in big trouble as long as Woody Johnson owns the team........

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe its his USC fake replica jersey but it certainly appears that SAR has some sort of Trojan fetish as evidenced by his manlove for Leinart and his blindness to Sanchez' absolutely inadequate performance yesterdsy

Sanchez would have won that game yesterday right after pigs fly and cows jump over the moon.

Earth to SAR...come in please....the real world is calling

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's start with this: The season is over, so whatever happened today or for the next few weeks against the worst teams in the NFL is immaterial. We can go 5-0 to close it out, McElroy can look like Montana, none of it matters. SAR I
    It matters going into next year if McElroy does relatively well considering how woeful Sanchez has played with the very same team mates.

The only problem for GM is that his playing time leash will be a lot shorter than Sanchez's if he doesn't shine.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Earth to SAR...come in please....the real world is calling
    You know how bad sanchez is when this clown starts calling out SAR.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can sum this up very nicely:

Rex is a Defensive Coordinator who is also Head Coach. Something to keep in mind (always.)

In his mind, (even though Lindley is absolutely horrendous) his Defense was effectively pitching a shutout.

Rex will not tolerate his defense losing games that they are effectively winning.

Additionally, Tebow was not dressed.

Essentially, if you really want to analyze this, you can surmise that Woody is meddling a lot more than any of us think.

Perhaps Sanchez has been glued to being the starter because

A) Woody loves him.

B) Rex was not going to pull Sanchez for Tebow and uncork an entirely new set of worms.

Or perhaps Rex did legitimately think that a QB who barely completes half of what he throws can win him a Super Bowl.

My personal belief is that Rex realized the team had a cloud hanging over its head with Sanchez out there and actually, for once, coached for his job instead of catering to the wishes of the owner.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Tebow injury opened the door to go straight to the only other legitimate quarterback on the roster- McElroy.

Until Tebow got hurt, the only other option Ryan would have had was to put an even worse quarterback than Sanchez under center, and that wouldn't have given us the best chance to win. Ryan couldn't go straight from Sanchez to McElroy with a healthy Tebow because of the mess it would have caused; Tebow's injury was a convenient solution.

SAR I
    my only question is why the jets didn't deactivate tebow for thanksgiving, if he really couldn't play? maybe b/c they figured the jets wouldn't win that one, and mcelroy would be less likely to make a case to start the following week?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    my only question is why the jets didn't deactivate tebow for thanksgiving, if he really couldn't play? maybe b/c they figured the jets wouldn't win that one, and mcelroy would be less likely to make a case to start the following week?
    Out of all the ridiculous moves and non moves this organization has made that one goes near the top.

Seriously, what the hell were they thinking?

Could you imagine if Sanchez got hurt and Kerley was our QB?

What a laughing stock.

I really cant believe that Rex Ryan is this bad a HC.

How exactly did he lead the JETS to the championship game twice with moves like this?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    c'mon, you know better than that. the patsie lead was built on once in a lifetime mistakes all happening at the same time. not all of it was because of sanchez. had the jets scored on that possession in the 2nd qtr the game might have been very different.

in the cards game, sanchez started out poorly and was getting any better. the game was not out of reach but it was doubtful that sanchez could have gotten the points. it's moot because mcelroy not only got the winning td but he also put them in a position to extend the score. and it's not like the cards defense is so bad. a stupid sanchez pick six would have lost the game.

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    From an organization that is never at a loss for drama in everything they do, the benching of Sanchez does not disappoint.

The benching of Sanchez has been debated for weeks. Why did Rex pull the trigger this week after having such strong feelings about him as the starter?

- The player that was traded for 2 picks is injured the week a major change at the QB position happens? With so much controversy this trade brought all year I find it fascinating that Tebow isnt dressed for the game when they pulled Sanchez. More and more it seems that all were not on board with this trade as claimed.

- At 35-3 against the Patriots, Sanchez was still "Rex guy" but in a 3-0 game he wasnt? I dont get Rex line of thinking on this

- McElroy doesnt dress the entire year, only dresses because of an injured Tebow, and goes into a 3-0 game with still the slimmest of chances to get to the playoffs?

Discuss

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Out of all the ridiculous moves and non moves this organization has made that one goes near the top.

Seriously, what the hell were they thinking?

Could you imagine if Sanchez got hurt and Kerley was our QB?

What a laughing stock.

I really cant believe that Rex Ryan is this bad a HC.

How exactly did he lead the JETS to the championship game twice with moves like this?
    Rex got to the AFCGC back to back for 2 reasons IMO

1. He had much better players that fit the system he wanted to run...true ground and pound along with some semblance of a passing game

2. First 2 times around the block - teams hadnt figured out the Rex D yet - he was blitzing and sending guys from everywhere - now it looks like a combination of a more conservative Rex and teams seemed to have figured out his gameplans.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    I find it super ironic that McElroy was subbed in for the game when Tebow was inactive...this is NOT A COINCIDENCE FOLKS. Feels almost planned out.
    I hear you, ST.

A pretty funny jersey.....

http://deadspin.com/5965101/jets-fan...ey?tag=loljets

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    All accurate points, all valid, all true.

The other side of the coin is that had the Jets given Mark Sanchez a proper set of tools with which to succeed, might he be a better quarterback right now? Would he be smarter with the ball? Would he throw more decisively? Would he trust his reads? Would he ball protect more? Would he have developed a tight rapport with a few receivers who know each others signals to make something out of a blown play?

It's the million dollar question, and it's the one that we can't answer until next season. Next season, that is, if whoever is running the team actually tries to find quality offensive talent instead of focusing on one side of the ball.

SAR I
    You act as though he never had any weapons. That's is far from the truth. Even last season when everyone was complaining about the lack of weapons, Sanchez still had Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress, two very accomplished and SB winning WR's.

The bottom line is very simply that Sanchez did this to himself.