Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63

Thread: Dissecting the benching of Sanchez

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Dissecting the benching of Sanchez

    From an organization that is never at a loss for drama in everything they do, the benching of Sanchez does not disappoint.

    The benching of Sanchez has been debated for weeks. Why did Rex pull the trigger this week after having such strong feelings about him as the starter?

    - The player that was traded for 2 picks is injured the week a major change at the QB position happens? With so much controversy this trade brought all year I find it fascinating that Tebow isnt dressed for the game when they pulled Sanchez. More and more it seems that all were not on board with this trade as claimed.

    - At 35-3 against the Patriots, Sanchez was still "Rex guy" but in a 3-0 game he wasnt? I dont get Rex line of thinking on this

    - McElroy doesnt dress the entire year, only dresses because of an injured Tebow, and goes into a 3-0 game with still the slimmest of chances to get to the playoffs?

    Discuss
    Last edited by copernicus; 12-02-2012 at 10:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    From an organization that is never at a loss for drama in everything they do, the benching of Sanchez does not disappoint.

    The benching of Sanchez has been debated for weeks. Why did Rex pull the trigger this week?

    - The player that was traded for 2 picks is injured the week a major change at the QB position happens? With so much controversy this trade brought all year I find it fascinating that Tebow isnt dressed for the game when they pulled Sanchez. More and more it seems that all were not on board with this trade as claimed.

    - At 35-3 against the Patriots, Sanchez was still "Rex guy" but in a 3-0 game he wasnt? I dont get Rex line of thinking on this

    - McElroy doesnt dress the entire year, only dresses because of an injured Tebow, and goes into a 3-0 game with still the slimmest of chances to get to the playoffs?

    Discuss
    At 35-2 against the Pats, the game was out of hand and it's not like switching QBs would have changed that.

    At 35-3 against the Pats, we weren't in a "must win" situation where our last playoff hopes were riding on a win that day.

    Today ? Completely different story. Defense had played well and the game was there to be won, if only we had competent play from the QB position. Additionally, this absolutely was a "must win" situation.

    Ergo: Rex finally decides to yank Sanchez after he threw 3 picks in the first half, followed by starting the second half off by having 2 passes nearly intercepted on his first 3 drives.

  3. #3
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Tebow injury opened the door to go straight to the only other legitimate quarterback on the roster- McElroy.

    Until Tebow got hurt, the only other option Ryan would have had was to put an even worse quarterback than Sanchez under center, and that wouldn't have given us the best chance to win. Ryan couldn't go straight from Sanchez to McElroy with a healthy Tebow because of the mess it would have caused; Tebow's injury was a convenient solution.

    SAR I

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,936
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    From an organization that is never at a loss for drama in everything they do, the benching of Sanchez does not disappoint.

    The benching of Sanchez has been debated for weeks. Why did Rex pull the trigger this week after having such strong feelings about him as the starter?

    - The player that was traded for 2 picks is injured the week a major change at the QB position happens? With so much controversy this trade brought all year I find it fascinating that Tebow isnt dressed for the game when they pulled Sanchez. More and more it seems that all were not on board with this trade as claimed.

    - At 35-3 against the Patriots, Sanchez was still "Rex guy" but in a 3-0 game he wasnt? I dont get Rex line of thinking on this

    - McElroy doesnt dress the entire year, only dresses because of an injured Tebow, and goes into a 3-0 game with still the slimmest of chances to get to the playoffs?

    Discuss

    I have be debating this with Demo on another thread... In the end I really don't think the coaching staff is high on any of the QBs on the roster... Whoever starts this week will be very telling into how the coaching staff feels. Maybe Tebow is inactive again just so the organization can save face on the trade.

    Still won't surprise me to see Sanchez start this week although I would like to see what McElroy looks like with some extended NFL action.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,936
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The Tebow injury opened the door to go straight to the only other legitimate quarterback on the roster- McElroy.

    Until Tebow got hurt, the only other option Ryan would have had was to put an even worse quarterback than Sanchez under center, and that wouldn't have given us the best chance to win. Ryan couldn't go straight from Sanchez to McElroy with a healthy Tebow because of the mess it would have caused; Tebow's injury was a convenient solution.

    SAR I
    Holy Crap... I agree with you... The Myans might be right!

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex finally benches Sanchez and now fans are complaining about how he did it? Oh boy

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The Tebow injury opened the door to go straight to the only other legitimate quarterback on the roster- McElroy.

    Until Tebow got hurt, the only other option Ryan would have had was to put an even worse quarterback than Sanchez under center, and that wouldn't have given us the best chance to win. Ryan couldn't go straight from Sanchez to McElroy with a healthy Tebow because of the mess it would have caused; Tebow's injury was a convenient solution.

    SAR I
    Fractured logic as by definition, McElroy was seen as a worse QB than Sanchez prior to the benching, as demonstrated by the fact that he wasn't the #1 QB.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Rex finally benches Sanchez and now fans are complaining about how he did it? Oh boy
    Not going to find me complaining about it.

    Should have been done weeks ago, regardless of who the #2 was at the time

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,674
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Fractured logic as by definition, McElroy was seen as a worse QB than Sanchez prior to the benching, as demonstrated by the fact that he wasn't the #1 QB.
    I think your post is an example of "FRACTURED LOGIC". Holy sh-t, dude....


    I mean...the thought that him being the #2 QB due to WOODY'S Pressuring-of-Rex to play him didn't occur to you?


    Even Rex knew that Tebow sucked and now that he finally got the excuse he wanted to go to the only other REAL QB the Jets had, Rex can breathe a bit easier and not have to worry about Tebow ever again....






    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The Tebow injury opened the door to go straight to the only other legitimate quarterback on the roster- McElroy.

    Until Tebow got hurt, the only other option Ryan would have had was to put an even worse quarterback than Sanchez under center, and that wouldn't have given us the best chance to win. Ryan couldn't go straight from Sanchez to McElroy with a healthy Tebow because of the mess it would have caused; Tebow's injury was a convenient solution.

    SAR I

    QFT.


    just think, though.....if it wasn't for Teblow being here, Drew Stanton would've been QB'ing this team long ago after Sanchez was benched.
    Last edited by Vin; 12-02-2012 at 10:19 PM.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I think your post is an example of "FRACTURED LOGIC". Holy sh-t, dude....


    I mean...the thought that him being the #2 QB due to WOODY'S Pressuring-of-Rex to play him didn't occur to you?
    Didn't occur to you that Rex was free at any time to dress 3 QBs on the active roster ? That instead of doing so, he left McElroy inactive which would have meant Tebow would have taken over if Sanchez was injured.

    As usual, your grasp of logic is tenuous at best.

  11. #11
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Fractured logic as by definition, McElroy was seen as a worse QB than Sanchez prior to the benching, as demonstrated by the fact that he wasn't the #1 QB.
    Let's start with this: The season is over, so whatever happened today or for the next few weeks against the worst teams in the NFL is immaterial. We can go 5-0 to close it out, McElroy can look like Montana, none of it matters. Without the ability to play a good (or even average) NFL team in the next month the opportunity to validate this kid or what's left of this team is gone. The Jets have a fantastic record against losing teams in the past two years; we haven't beaten a single elite opponent. Sanchez would have won today's game too, all it took was a dinky-doink drive and a late-hit penalty.

    As far as Ryan's motivation goes, please, common sense. Tebow is the #2 quarterback on the team and he sucks. You don't go to the #3 unless you have no other option, especially since your owner is a Tebow lover and everyone on the staff was sore after McElroy's 20 minute Jets trashing on Alabama radio.

    SAR I

  12. #12
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post


    just think, though.....if it wasn't for Teblow being here, Drew Stanton would've been QB'ing this team long ago after Sanchez was benched.
    ....or, if Tebow wasn't here and we used that money on a real running back or a wide receiver or got rid of Hunter sooner or never took Tony Sparano, Mark Sanchez might be having a career year.

    The what-if game is fun, but leads nowhere.

    SAR I

  13. #13
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Didn't occur to you that Rex was free at any time to dress 3 QBs on the active roster ? That instead of doing so, he left McElroy inactive which would have meant Tebow would have taken over if Sanchez was injured.

    As usual, your grasp of logic is tenuous at best.
    What is your point? That our awful head coach is even more stupid than we know he is?

    Not much of a debate there. Let's order ice cream and talk about hockey.

    SAR I

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,936
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe they start Tebow thinking he can beat up on lesser teams and increase his trade value!!!! Since all of us are just guessing, this is as sound logic as any...

    We have no idea what is going on inside the organization... The next few weeks may answer some questions but we really won't know anything until next season when we see who lines up under center. Right now it is kind of irrelevant other than possibly getting McElroy some playing time to make a modest evaluation of what he brings to the table.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,674
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    What is your point? That our awful head coach is even more stupid than we know he is?

    Not much of a debate there. Let's order ice cream and talk about hockey.

    SAR I
    Exactly.


    That's the point that Demos aka TimTebowIsMyLover is missing. Rex is a MORON. That's why he did not dress 3 QBs.


    He has no clue how to be an NFL HC.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez couldve prevented his benching but he never did. Even with the WR issues, OLine or RB issues from time-to-time, Sanchez lost his starting job because he was absolutely awful on things that were 100% his responsibility.

    The poor accuracy, the idiotic decision making, and the mentally checking out are all on him.

    He's doing something mechanically wrong which is causing some of his passes to be way off. He is also making bonehead decision which lead to turnovers. His 3 INTs today were all on stupid decisions coupled with bad throws. None of those 3 passes should have been thrown and he almost threw a pick 6 that was dropped based on another stupid decision.

    Lastly, the botch screen pass got him benched because it looked like he mentally checked out. He totally half-assed that throw. He's done that before. He also mentally checked out before the Butt Fumble by forgetting what play was called.

    Rex gave Sanchez an incredibly long rope to hang himself and Sanchez used it all.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    As far as Ryan's motivation goes, please, common sense. Tebow is the #2 quarterback on the team and he sucks. You don't go to the #3 unless you have no other option, especially since your owner is a Tebow lover and everyone on the staff was sore after McElroy's 20 minute Jets trashing on Alabama radio.

    SAR I
    Jets better watch their backs or Greg Namath McElroy might throw them all under the bus if he's not happy with them.

  18. #18
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Sanchez couldve prevented his benching but he never did. Even with the WR issues, OLine or RB issues from time-to-time, Sanchez lost his starting job because he was absolutely awful on things that were 100% his responsibility.

    The poor accuracy, the idiotic decision making, and the mentally checking out are all on him.

    He's doing something mechanically wrong which is causing some of his passes to be way off. He is also making bonehead decision which lead to turnovers. His 3 INTs today were all on stupid decisions coupled with bad throws. None of those 3 passes should have been thrown and he almost threw a pick 6 that was dropped based on another stupid decision.

    Lastly, the botch screen pass got him benched because it looked like he mentally checked out. He totally half-assed that throw. He's done that before. He also mentally checked out before the Butt Fumble by forgetting what play was called.

    Rex gave Sanchez an incredibly long rope to hang himself and Sanchez used it all.
    All accurate points, all valid, all true.

    The other side of the coin is that had the Jets given Mark Sanchez a proper set of tools with which to succeed, might he be a better quarterback right now? Would he be smarter with the ball? Would he throw more decisively? Would he trust his reads? Would he ball protect more? Would he have developed a tight rapport with a few receivers who know each others signals to make something out of a blown play?

    It's the million dollar question, and it's the one that we can't answer until next season. Next season, that is, if whoever is running the team actually tries to find quality offensive talent instead of focusing on one side of the ball.

    SAR I

  19. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Let's start with this: The season is over, so whatever happened today or for the next few weeks against the worst teams in the NFL is immaterial. We can go 5-0 to close it out, McElroy can look like Montana, none of it matters. Without the ability to play a good (or even average) NFL team in the next month the opportunity to validate this kid or what's left of this team is gone. The Jets have a fantastic record against losing teams in the past two years; we haven't beaten a single elite opponent. Sanchez would have won today's game too, all it took was a dinky-doink drive and a late-hit penalty.

    As far as Ryan's motivation goes, please, common sense. Tebow is the #2 quarterback on the team and he sucks. You don't go to the #3 unless you have no other option, especially since your owner is a Tebow lover and everyone on the staff was sore after McElroy's 20 minute Jets trashing on Alabama radio.

    SAR I
    I actually agree with your first paragraph. As for your second, it's doesn't refute or contradict what I said previously.

  20. #20
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Jets better watch their backs or Greg Namath McElroy might throw them all under the bus if he's not happy with them.
    McElroy wants to audition his skills so he can get the hell out of here and have a chance to compete for a starting job on a team that a) can afford a quarterback and b) is committed to offensive football.

    The Jets offer neither opportunity for him.

    SAR I

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us