Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62

Thread: A Little Reality Check

  1. #21
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,552
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    The team that played football today and won at Met Life, will no way run the table
    my point exactly ... beating Cards 7-6 who are the only team on the planet with a worse QB situation than us and lost 7 in a row coming into Met Life ... and folks are here thinking there's a chance we run the table. This is hilarious ... even if we beat Jags next week ... ... at Tenn and then Chargers at home ... one of those is a loss ... and knowing this team they keep their playoff hopes alive til the end and lose to Buffalo last week. Regardless the Colts are 8-4 ... they'd have to go 1-3 ... not to mention Pitt is 7-5 with the tie breaker over us ... All Pitt has to do is go 2-2 and beat us out and all the Colts have to do is go 2-2 ... this thing is over .....

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I don't go back on any prediction, but I did like you better when you ran away from yours. Funny, we suck for months and you are nowhere to be found. We "win" today and it's like you never left. Nice try.

    Winning is a bad thing if you can't beat elite teams or winning teams because you don't win a Super Bowl if you can't beat elite teams. Can't even win our division if we can't split with an elite team.

    In Year 4 of the Ryan regime, with hand-selected players, indulging in a defense-first-rushing-second philosophy, we should be getting better, not worse.

    Translation: We suck. Beating the Cardinals 7-6 is no reason to celebrate.

    SAR I
    That's not exactly true. I peeked in once and awhile to see what you guys were saying. I mostly stayed away for my own mental health.

    They weren't going to win a Super Bowl this year. They weren't going to win the division this year. Especially when Revis and Holmes got hurt. Most people had them as the 3rd place team in the division behind the Bills.

    If you can't celebrate winning, what's the point of playing the game?

    You win and are victorious, you celebrate. That's why you play. To enjoy the splendors of victory.

  3. #23
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,370
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    What did Bill Parcells say again, "You are what your record says you are"
    Bill Parcells also said "If we can only beat the scrubs we can't make the playoffs."

    Judging from the 2011 and 2012 seasons, he seems to be right.

    SAR I

  4. #24
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,370
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    So will the Cowboys and Redskins, but SAR shares Steve Jobs' reality distortion field whenever necessary...
    We played the Cowboys and Redskins last season when they did not have winning records. Steve Jobs could read, no distortion field necessary.

    Looks like the victory against the Colts in Andrew Luck's 5th game will be our only win against a team that ends the season with a winning record, making us 1-11 since beating the Patriots in the 2010 playoffs. So exciting.

    SAR I

  5. #25
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,370
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Who is celebrating? Anyone with half a brain knows what today was. We saw the opposing QB. It's a win, but Whiz almost forfeited by keeping Lindley in. The Cardinals are apparently way more serious about tanking, lol
    Eckesg1 is. He thinks that because the Colts might surprise and end the year with a winning record that it proves that the Jets are on the right track.

    SAR I

  6. #26
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,370
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    my point exactly ... beating Cards 7-6 who are the only team on the planet with a worse QB situation than us and lost 7 in a row coming into Met Life ... and folks are here thinking there's a chance we run the table. This is hilarious ... even if we beat Jags next week ... ... at Tenn and then Chargers at home ... one of those is a loss ... and knowing this team they keep their playoff hopes alive til the end and lose to Buffalo last week. Regardless the Colts are 8-4 ... they'd have to go 1-3 ... not to mention Pitt is 7-5 with the tie breaker over us ... All Pitt has to do is go 2-2 and beat us out and all the Colts have to do is go 2-2 ... this thing is over .....
    ....and none of that matters because we will be 0-12 or 1-11 against teams that end the season with a winning record since the 2010 playoffs. No chance we'd win a playoff game, no business being there.

    This team sucks. Making the playoffs would be an insult to the NFL, would set us back another year.

    SAR I

  7. #27
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,370
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    That's not exactly true. I peeked in once and awhile to see what you guys were saying. I mostly stayed away for my own mental health.

    They weren't going to win a Super Bowl this year. They weren't going to win the division this year. Especially when Revis and Holmes got hurt. Most people had them as the 3rd place team in the division behind the Bills.

    If you can't celebrate winning, what's the point of playing the game?

    You win and are victorious, you celebrate. That's why you play. To enjoy the splendors of victory.
    Because "victory" over a terrible team in an 0-8 slump and "victory" over the likes of the Patriots I, 49ers, Texans, Steelers, and Patriots II are two different things.

    None of us are in it to see the Jets beat a scrub team when the season is already over. It's Year 4 of the Rex Ryan Era. We expected more in 2012 when we signed up for this back in 2009. Take away the split with the Patriots in 2009 and 2010 and none of this playoff magic happens. We can't beat those types of teams anymore. Shouldn't be that way.

    SAR I

  8. #28
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,437
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    We played the Cowboys and Redskins last season when they did not have winning records. Steve Jobs could read, no distortion field necessary.

    Looks like the victory against the Colts in Andrew Luck's 5th game will be our only win against a team that ends the season with a winning record, making us 1-11 since beating the Patriots in the 2010 playoffs. So exciting.

    SAR I
    Steve Jobs would have called your post total **** for its lack of clarity and carelessly lumping seasons together and not fact checking.

    I would suggest beveled edges for your next thread.

  9. #29
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,370
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Steve Jobs would have called your post total **** for its lack of clarity and carelessly lumping seasons together and not fact checking.

    I would suggest beveled edges for your next thread.
    Gee, the first sentence of the first post is so hard to understand:

    "Since the victory over the Patriots in the 2010 AFC Playoffs, the Jets are 13-16 and have beaten the following teams:"

    And the Colts have not yet proven that they're going to end the season with a winning record.

    More important than the facts, which are accurate, is the theme which is: We beat up on the sh-t teams and choke to the good ones. You want to discuss that, fine. Don't need a bad spellchecker, thanks.

    SAR I

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Because "victory" over a terrible team in an 0-8 slump and "victory" over the likes of the Patriots I, 49ers, Texans, Steelers, and Patriots II are two different things.

    None of us are in it to see the Jets beat a scrub team when the season is already over. It's Year 4 of the Rex Ryan Era. We expected more in 2012 when we signed up for this back in 2009. Take away the split with the Patriots in 2009 and 2010 and none of this playoff magic happens. We can't beat those types of teams anymore. Shouldn't be that way.

    SAR I
    Then you don't love the game at all. You are not a fan of the game. Regular season football games have just become a cog to you. Only big games matter


    Victory over anybody is worth celebrating. Even if it's the 0-16 Lions, you celebrate that victory.

    When did winning become a burden instead of a relief? I bet you that a child who went to this game as his first ever game will remember it fondly as a victory.

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Because "victory" over a terrible team in an 0-8 slump and "victory" over the likes of the Patriots I, 49ers, Texans, Steelers, and Patriots II are two different things.

    None of us are in it to see the Jets beat a scrub team when the season is already over. It's Year 4 of the Rex Ryan Era. We expected more in 2012 when we signed up for this back in 2009. Take away the split with the Patriots in 2009 and 2010 and none of this playoff magic happens. We can't beat those types of teams anymore. Shouldn't be that way.

    SAR I
    Then you don't love the game at all. You are not a fan of the game. Regular season football games have just become a cog to you. Only big games matter

    Victory over anybody is worth celebrating. Even if it's the 0-16 Lions, you celebrate that victory.

    When did winning become a burden instead of a relief? I bet you that a child who went to this game as his first ever game will remember it fondly as a victory.

  12. #32
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,370
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Then you don't love the game at all. You are not a fan of the game. Regular season football games have just become a cog to you. Only big games matter

    Victory over anybody is worth celebrating. Even if it's the 0-16 Lions, you celebrate that victory.

    When did winning become a burden instead of a relief? I bet you that a child who went to this game as his first ever game will remember it fondly as a victory.
    If this were Year 1 of the Parcells Regime and the lowly 1-15 Jets had just won their season opener against a scrub team I'd be very happy, would be relishing in our victory.

    It's not.

    It's Year 4 of the Ryan Regime and the once-elite Jets are an epic humiliation, regressing, and are farther from the Super Bowl than they have been since 1996.

    Regular season games aren't meaningless except when the season is already over and we're sweating a home win against the worst team in the NFL. And I don't need you to tell me what kind of fan I am, how many snow storms I drove through to attend Herman Edwards fiasco's in 4-12 seasons, how many soccer games of my kids I missed to watch Eric Mangini fade.

    Only a Blind Homer would feel good about today's "victory".

    SAR I

  13. #33
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    If this were Year 1 of the Parcells Regime and the lowly 1-15 Jets had just won their season opener against a scrub team I'd be very happy, would be relishing in our victory.

    It's not.

    It's Year 4 of the Ryan Regime and the once-elite Jets are an epic humiliation, regressing, and are farther from the Super Bowl than they have been since 1996.

    Regular season games aren't meaningless except when the season is already over and we're sweating a home win against the worst team in the NFL. And I don't need you to tell me what kind of fan I am, how many snow storms I drove through to attend Herman Edwards fiasco's in 4-12 seasons, how many soccer games of my kids I missed to watch Eric Mangini fade.

    Only a Blind Homer would feel good about today's "victory".

    SAR I
    That right there just told me everything. Thank you and I'm sorry.
    Last edited by Eckesg1; 12-02-2012 at 11:51 PM.

  14. #34
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,437
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

    More important than the facts, which are accurate, is the theme which is: We beat up on the sh-t teams and choke to the good ones. You want to discuss that, fine. Don't need a bad spellchecker, thanks.

    SAR I
    Correct. The Jets cant beat good teams. And the Jets have not won the division nor hosted a playoff game since Herm Edwards was coach. They have not been to the SuperBowl since the Namath was QB.

    This isn't news. Do you have a point to make other than to point out the obvious?

  15. #35
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somerville, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    That right there just told me everything. Thank you and I'm sorry.
    Do you think it's going to be a good thing for this team to win out, go 9-7, get the 6 seed on the playoffs, then get torn up by the ravens or broncos?

  16. #36
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Posts
    1,812
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a fantastic post. In the 2010 season, I think the Jets had the best roster in the NFL with the exception of QB. At the other 21 positions, the Jets were great. Now, the Jets are an average, at best, team that can feast on bad teams but is SIGNIFICANTLY worse than teams that are championship caliber.

    My worst fear is that the Jets finish 8-8 or 9-7, and we hear "look how well we did despite missing our two best skill position players!!!" This Jets team is not good. The -68 point differential doesn't lie, and if we keep the same people in charge, and bring back Sanchez next season, I think things will be even worse. Generally, teams need to bottom out in a season in order to get good draft picks and cap room etc. I was hoping that would occur this season for the Jets, but it seems like it will happen next year instead, when the Jets play a significantly more difficult schedule (NFC South, AFC North). I was hoping that it would happen this season instead, but we're going to be forced to watch a sub-par team this season, and in all probability, a bad team next season before any real changes are made.

  17. #37
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Saugerties, NY
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Only a Blind Homer would feel good about today's "victory".

    SAR I
    Seriously. This game was an exposition of offensive ineptitude. While the defense played well against one of the worst offenses in the NFL, our offense was just a little bit better than theirs. Had to be one of the ugliest games I've seen in recent memory.

  18. #38
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    We haven't beaten a single team that ends the year with a winning record since the end of the 2010 season.

    The fact that we can feast on the weaklings and bomb against average and elite teams isn't what a head coach in Year 4 is supposed to bring to the table, especially when he shopped for all the groceries and is being indulged in a losing philosophy.

    Radical change is needed. These last 4 games better not cloud that story.

    SAR I
    Since you hate Ryan and love Sanchez I figured I would give you some of my own numbers.

    Sanchez against teams with a .500 record or better since 2011:

    3 wins 12 losses
    52% Comp.
    17 tds 16 int

    Against teams under .500 since 2011:

    10 wins 3 losses
    59% Comp.
    20 tds 14 int

    Mark Sanchez is the main reason we don't beat good teams. He beats up on crappy teams but when we play somebody well he barely completes 50% and throws an int per game. Actually he throws an int per game to teams we play under .500 as well which is terrible. But b/c they're sh*tty teams his comp % goes up and so does his td numbers.

    You can say what you want about weapons and the Jets not having enough but take a look at the Colts. They have an avg RB situation at best, TE's are rookies, They have Wayne and that's it. The rest of the WR's are low draft pick rookies or JAG's. How can he have total command of an offense in his first year when Sanchez never had that under 3 years of Schotty and doesn't this year? Andrew Luck wins games with his arm, we can only hope Sanchez doesn't lose them. A QB in his 4th year should be making the players around him better, not the other way around and whoever the coach is won't change the fact that Sanchez is the main culprit for us losing games and he has been since his rookie year.

  19. #39
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    This is exactly where the problem lies. Knowing the jets, were gonna go 4-0 these last 4, finish 9-7 and either get the 6 or barely miss the playoffs. Then everyone will be just fine keeping Tanny and Rex and Sparano and hell, we might as well keep McElroy as our new franchise QB! Lets face it, every win from today's on out is a bad thing. This is just going to be a band-aid on our horrific team and front office.
    +1
    We're not making the playoffs so all we are doing right now is screwing up our draft spot.

  20. #40
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today's win was a good thing because it proves that a QB without much talent (McElroy) is still significantly better than Sanchez. I honestly think you could've pulled 10 guys out of the stands who could've played better than Sanchez today. It's mystifying to me why the Jet's would bring him back next year. Surely you could pay a UDFA the league minimum to throw 3 picks a half.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us