Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: As a starter G-Mac has only lost three games since he was in 8th grade.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Huh?

The coaching staff absolutely knows if he can make that throw. Velocity is not something that moves up or down significantly. A guy is capable of X when it comes to throwing the ball.

The other aspects of being a QB very much has to do with the game situation but not velocity.
    I think that's the reason why he's the 3rd string QB.

You're about to find out who REALLY wanted Tebow here and for what purposes. This is going to really backfire on Woody Johnson. Like really bad. Because the fanbase will have the largest case of ammunition to point at the owner who doesn't care about winning or the fans but just wants to make money any way he can and at the expense of any reputation that Mangini built getting the Jets back to a respectable team with good character players. Say what you want about Mangini, but he ran this organization well and they were prepared. There was no frat party atmosphere with the Jets. They had no free reign to just say whatever they wanted. He was a victim of Brett Favre's biceps injury and the Gholston mishap. The team might have lost some games but it was never because of a lack of discipline.

People might have laughed at the Jets but at least he wasn't a stubborn moron either. He had no problem making a QB change and letting everyone know that their position wasn't safe. I can't say the same for Rex at all. I like Rex but he's proving to me that he's a Defensive Coordinator and not a Head Coach.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    And the thing with Sanchez is that he barely qualifies on the strong arm front. His arm is OK, but he'll never be considered even close to being in the Rocket Arm category. Certainly not fatal in the NFL, but you then need to excel in the Decesion Making category. And, thus far, the game simply hasn't slowed down for him like we all hoped it would. He is step behind in his decision making and its too often readily apparent.

I don't think that makes him dumb - I think he understands the game pretty well. I think he works very hard. But, at the end of the day, playing QB is really hard. There are a lot of things that are going on at the same time and decisions have to be made in a split second, and Sanchez hasn't really been able to improve in that area.

And, as a note on McElroy, we don't know if the game will slow down for him either. Being a Rhodes Scholar finalist doesn't mean that he can read a defense any better than someone who bombed the Wonderlic. He played nicely in his one appearance so far, but Mcelroy hasn't faced many full speed defenses yet. He needs to show that he truly belongs and can compete amongst the big boys. Yesterday was a nice start, but that's all it was....a start.
    sanchez isn't accurate, and no amount of practice and film work can fix it. this is why he has the lowest completion % in the nfl. this also accounts for the interceptions. next, he doesn't protect the ball. sometimes this leads to fumbles. other times he forces throws when he should throw it away. these things weren't evident at usc b/c 1) he didn't have to throw into those tight windows like he does in the nfl, and 2) he wasn't really getting hit that much at usc so nobody knew he was going to be a fumble machine.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Too much is made of G-MAC's arm strength. Who gives a ****? Any coach would tell you they'd take good decision making and accuracy over arm strength any day. Hell, Mark has arm strength and we see just how much that's gotten us.

G-MAC doesn't give a damn about these fictional ass haters. Get off his dick, brehs.
    Mark doesn't have great arm strength. Bottom half or third of starting QBs in the league.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this an in-game pic? If so, he is a brave young lad to play with
    his tongue sticking out, just waiting for a blind side hit to cause
    him to bite through it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Huh?

The coaching staff absolutely knows if he can make that throw. Velocity is not something that moves up or down significantly. A guy is capable of X when it comes to throwing the ball.

The other aspects of being a QB very much has to do with the game situation but not velocity.
    Your velocity has to do with your mechanics. Your mechanics can definitely change when you have a 300 lb lineman bearing down on you. Do you step into the throw completely, despite the knowledge that you are about to get creamed? Can you throw the 15 yard out despite not being able to take two steps up in the pocket? In practice you don't have to deal with those issues.

Besides, Rex mentioned that he's never seen someone have improved velocity from one year to the next, so apparently (at least in Rex's eyes), velocity does change more than you think.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could care less about arm strength.

I grew up watching Montana take a sh*t on defenses week in and week out and the best you could say about Joe's arm strength was that it was "adequate".

I'll take a guy with accuracy, smarts, decisiveness, and leadership ability over a guy with a howitzer for an arm anyday of the week.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

I grew up watching Montana take a sh*t on defenses week in and week out and the best you could say about Joe's arm strength was that it was "adequate".

I'll take a guy with accuracy, smarts, decisiveness, and leadership ability over a guy with a howitzer for an arm anyday of the week.
    give me mcelroy over browning nagle any day.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    give me mcelroy over browning nagle any day.
    I would take accuracy and proper decision making over arm strength, if I had to prioritize those attributes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, but you have to remember that when you lack arm strength you must be near perfect in other areas of your game (ie joe montana, peyton manning this year). Nothing about Mcelroy leads me to think that he is that type of QB.

I am all for giving him a shot, but his lack of arm strength is a real concern.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see that you understand that arm strength is important.

Now if you COULDN'T care less about arm strength, that would be something . . .

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

mcelroys pre season

listen up jet fans.mcelroy showed me great leadership before his injury.I always said that sanchez lacked the smarts to be successfull in this league.on the other hand mcelroy has it all.I am going to make a prediction.if the jets start mcelroy next week.he will become the darling of all the jet fans[including me]. he has bee a winner throughot his career and will always be a winner. watch how his teammates react to his leadership.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I agree, but you have to remember that when you lack arm strength you must be near perfect in other areas of your game (ie joe montana, peyton manning this year). Nothing about Mcelroy leads me to think that he is that type of QB.

I am all for giving him a shot, but his lack of arm strength is a real concern.
    I totally agree it's a concern.

But why not see if he has a chance to be an NFL QB? What's the worst that can happen, our offense doesn't look good?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Is this an in-game pic? If so, he is a brave young lad to play with
    his tongue sticking out, just waiting for a blind side hit to cause
    him to bite through it.

He spent the entire year on IR with his thumb injury that seemed like a really innocuous hit on a helmet. I thought he was lucky they kept him around for the year as a third stringer. I wonder if he will be injury prone.