Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: As a starter G-Mac has only lost three games since he was in 8th grade.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    So who was that who stepped in yesterday with no warning and did what he had to do to win the game?

Many a quality QB had inauspicious starts that no one had scripted.

-
    Glenn foley says hello.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    not disagreeing here. but for this offense, which is intended to be a run-oriented, ball control offense, mcelroy already has the qualities you'd want in a qb to run it. he's probably the guy you want to take care of the football and make the short to intermediate throws. time will hopefully tell.

if mcelroy can be a game manager, he's the best option now. maybe he becomes a full time starter or maybe he goes back to being a backup b/c of lack of arm strength. but either way, if he can complete enough 3rd downs and not fumble a lot he should be the qb.
    Is a 15 yard out an "intermediate throw"? If so, I don't know yet whether he can throw it effectively. He might, but we haven't really seen it yet. In order to be a viable NFL starting QB, you need to be able to drive the ball outside the numbers. If he shows us he can do that, then I would happily put him in the competition for starter. Its hardly a foregone conclusion though. Sanchez has trouble driving the ball downfield - especially when the pocket is collapsing.

Being a game manager doesn't mean you throw solely slants and flares. You still need to be able to make every throw on the route tree. Remains to be seen whether Mcelroy can do that. I'm perfectly willing to find out though.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Is a 15 yard out an "intermediate throw"? If so, I don't know yet whether he can throw it effectively. He might, but we haven't really seen it yet. In order to be a viable NFL starting QB, you need to be able to drive the ball outside the numbers. If he shows us he can do that, then I would happily put him in the competition for starter. Its hardly a foregone conclusion though. Sanchez has trouble driving the ball downfield - especially when the pocket is collapsing.

Being a game manager doesn't mean you throw solely slants and flares. You still need to be able to make every throw on the route tree. Remains to be seen whether Mcelroy can do that. I'm perfectly willing to find out though.
    right. they owe it to themselves to find out. they need to find out if his arm is adequate and also, if his placement/ability to make quick decisions/reads can somewhat compensate for not having a very strong arm.

how ironic would it be that, in spite of all the mistakes tanny has made, he could possibly hit gold with this one pick. not saying it's likely. just saying how unlikely it would be if that's his legacy, after sanchez, gholston, wilson, bray, holmes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Glenn foley says hello.
    Glen Foley’s downfall was accuracy, something McElroy has in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    most qb's downfall is accuracy.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    right. they owe it to themselves to find out. they need to find out if his arm is adequate and also, if his placement/ability to make quick decisions/reads can somewhat compensate for not having a very strong arm.

how ironic would it be that, in spite of all the mistakes tanny has made, he could possibly hit gold with this one pick. not saying it's likely. just saying how unlikely it would be if that's his legacy, after sanchez, gholston, wilson, bray, holmes, etc.
    Exactly, they have to find out if they think this kid is a viable starter going into next season. No one is saying you have to have a definite answer that he is the franchise QB or not, just if they think he can play. The Jets have an opportunity where they can start basically a rookie QB and STILL say they are trying win and get into the playoffs. The poor play of Sanchez has given them a great opportunity to improve the play at QB and still not give up on the season.

Ok, so we know the arm strength thing needs to be proven…

But what about his ball faking?

Taking a snap turning left, extending the ball, only to tuck the ball back in and hand it off to the right.

He was freezing the Arizona defense, which was helping open up those holes.

That’s fundamentals we haven’t seen with Sanchez at the helm in some time…

Hall Of Fame

Taking a snap turning left, extending the ball, only to tuck the ball back in and hand it off to the right.

He was freezing the Arizona defense, which was helping open up those holes.

LOL...I would temper your enthusiasm just a little bit. Lets see if he even gets to start next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Sick throw.... really, look at that placement.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL...I would temper your enthusiasm just a little bit. Lets see if he even gets to start next week.
    Go back and watch the tape of yesterday’s game… I did.
    Watch his footwork and how fluid he is taking snaps, handing off the ball, carrying out the plays. There’s a reason Cumberland was wide open.

Yes, his arm could be ****, who knows…

But it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that he’s got very good mechanics and fundamentals.

Watch his footwork and how fluid he is taking snaps, handing off the ball, carrying out the plays. There’s a reason Cumberland was wide open.

But it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that he’s got very good mechanics and fundamentals.
    not only this, but he's able to bring to the games what he practices all week. with sanchez, i think he does better in practice with the fundamentals, but then it all goes awry in the games. he can't stick to the basics under pressure and that's when the turnovers occur. the whole purpose of practicing the stuff is so you bring it on sundays. there have been a number of times where sanchez has said they've had good weeks of practice, but it doesn't translate to sundays.

Hall Of Fame

OK...again, lets see him play a whole game or two before we go crazy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Is a 15 yard out an "intermediate throw"? If so, I don't know yet whether he can throw it effectively.
    With a 5-7 step drop from the middle of the field, that throw will need to travel 25 yards in the air on a rope.

Tough throw.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    I was at the game yesterday, his arm is honestly not as weak as some of the people here are making it out to be. It was reported that the guy spent his entire off-season working on improving is mechanics and adding muscle to quicken his release and boost his arm strength up. His arm isn't or Aaron Rodgers or Matthew Stafford, but that back shoulder throw to Kerley and the first deep ball to hill looked good enough to me. As long as the guy doesn't hold the ball in the pocket for 5 seconds only to toss it up to the other team instead of throwing it away, he is an improvement.

This is going right into the signature.
    That was the best back shoulder pass I seen a jets qb throw in over 4 years ...

If you guys choose to get a boner over a third string qb as the savior, knock yourself out.

I choose to wait and see.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Taking a snap turning left, extending the ball, only to tuck the ball back in and hand it off to the right.He was freezing the Arizona defense, which was helping open up those holes.

+1 he had the D going the other way..

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    OK...again, lets see him play a whole game or two before we go crazy.
    not going crazy… lol... just pointing out some positives.
    I can also harp on the negatives (there's plenty of warts too) if that makes you happy...

Hall Of Fame
    not going crazy… lol... just pointing out some positives.
    I can also harp on the negatives (there's plenty of warts too) if that makes you happy...
    All I am saying is wait and see. Jesus, some of you are hyper sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    If you guys choose to get a boner over a third string qb as the savior, knock yourself out.

I choose to wait and see.
    As a big Sanchez supporter, I can see why you would say that.