Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets Tweets 12/3: "Beginning of the McElroy era" Edition

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Yea, I realize that, but it was a great time to get Davis some experience playing the run. Its not like the Cardinals have some dynamic game breaking backs to worry about.
    I agree with you but let's not lose sight of the fact that these coaches are coaching for their jobs. They are in survival mode. They are not worried about the future. They will do what they think will win the game.

Davis will get more snaps against a team that can pass bc he gives us a better chance than Scott against a team like that. I expect Scott to play a lot against the Jags as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Actually Mark has a cap value of 12.8 million next year. You can not trade a player and "eat" some of his salary. Mark will be on the team next year.
    It's not Sanchez's $8.25MM salary next year that straps the Jets, you can always eat that.

It's the $12.8MM cap hit.

Sanchez is not going anywhere next year.

Quote Originally Posted by AbstraKt View Post
    **I think some of the remaining 7 snaps went to McKnight and Bell (with 1 fumble for TO).
    What was up with McKnight? Did he get hurt? He wasn't in on the last kickoff and they barely played him at RB. I thought he had a good chance to be successful on outside runs, screens, and tosses -- but we saw none.

Also, I have to give some credit to Rex on finally benching Sanchez. I think it's Tebow time, but wouldn't be opposed to seeing McElroy.

Here's a more in-depth PT list:

nyjetscap @nyjetscap
    #Jets snap counts for yesterday and on the season. Still cant figure out why the young guys dont get snaps on D... http://t.co/EusbMnfO
    I don't get why Coples and Davis didn't play more yesterday, but considering the defense practically pitched a shutout, this is probably not the week to bring it up. When we play a real QB next week and guys like Scott, pace, Thomas, Er. Smith plod around the field chasing faster RBs/TEs from behind we can re-open the discussion.

nyjetscap @nyjetscap
    For those who missed it yesterday here is what I think are the #Jets financial options with Sanchez http://t.co/ROLpJ2xM #nyj

Mark Sanchez has a gigantic cap hit if he was to be cut next season. Because of the crazy extension the Jets gave him the dead cap from prorated money in his contract is $8,903,125. The Jets further compounded that by guaranteeing him $8.25 million in salary. In the event that he is released that amount will immediately accelerate onto the cap. Because there are no offsets for that salary the Jets can not obtain credits if Sanchez signs with another team meaning releasing him would cost the Jets $17,153,125 in cap charges, a net loss of $4.3 million in cap room, clearly a move the Jets can not make.

Jets Insider VIP
    but considering the defense practically pitched a shutout
    How is giving up 6 points practically a shutout?

Gotta love the homers.

All Pro
    nyjetscap @nyjetscap
    For those who missed it yesterday here is what I think are the #Jets financial options with Sanchez http://t.co/ROLpJ2xM #nyj
    There isn't a face-palm big enough for how incompetent Tranny is....

Jets Insider VIP
    Mark Sanchez has a gigantic cap hit if he was to be cut next season. Because of the crazy extension the Jets gave him the dead cap from prorated money in his contract is $8,903,125. The Jets further compounded that by guaranteeing him $8.25 million in salary. In the event that he is released that amount will immediately accelerate onto the cap. Because there are no offsets for that salary the Jets can not obtain credits if Sanchez signs with another team meaning releasing him would cost the Jets $17,153,125 in cap charges, a net loss of $4.3 million in cap room, clearly a move the Jets can not make.
    Forget anything you know about Mike Tannenbaum. This is a fireable offense in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

Gotta love the homers.
    3 int’s by your starter in the first half…
    One of them on the first play from scrimmage inside your own 30…
    Keeping the other team to 6 points, 150 yards of offense.
    Really say what you want, but the defense played well against the team that was put in front of them.

And don't forget, they got that 2nd field goal, by faking a punt to get in range...
    Last edited by Monsterxman; 12-03-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Forget anything you know about Mike Tannenbaum. This is a fireable offense in itself.
    but after next season, he's off the jets books for good?

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Had this discussion yesterday. No one I was with could give a definitive answer. I tend to agree with you. I cannot recall any NFL trades where a team ate part of the salary. It's not baseball.
    Teams do occasionally do this in the NFL. The Rams did it with Jason Smith prior to the trade with the Jets. Houston I believe did it with DeMeco Ryans. The Seahawks did it with Aaron Curry last year. Other teams have also done it. What you do is the day before a trade sign a new contract with the player. Using Sanchez as an example, the Jets would restructure his deal by paying him say a $4 million dollar roster or signing bonus that is paid in full that day. His base salary would fall from 8.25 to 4.25 million. That gets processed by the NFL. Immediately after acceptance from the NFL you trade Sanchez to another team. Now you take an additional $4 million cap hit since you prepaid that money and the acquiring team in only on the hook for the balance. Its different than baseball in that you are not paying while the player is on another team, but the meaning is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    What was up with McKnight? Did he get hurt? He wasn't in on the last kickoff and they barely played him at RB. I thought he had a good chance to be successful on outside runs, screens, and tosses -- but we saw none.
    I forget when and how it happened but he left yesterday with a rib injury. Waiting for updates today. Poor kid...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423 View Post
    Teams do occasionally do this in the NFL. The Rams did it with Jason Smith prior to the trade with the Jets. Houston I believe did it with DeMeco Ryans. The Seahawks did it with Aaron Curry last year. Other teams have also done it. What you do is the day before a trade sign a new contract with the player. Using Sanchez as an example, the Jets would restructure his deal by paying him say a $4 million dollar roster or signing bonus that is paid in full that day. His base salary would fall from 8.25 to 4.25 million. That gets processed by the NFL. Immediately after acceptance from the NFL you trade Sanchez to another team. Now you take an additional $4 million cap hit since you prepaid that money and the acquiring team in only on the hook for the balance. Its different than baseball in that you are not paying while the player is on another team, but the meaning is the same.
    You can only do that with a player that has a roster bonus and the amount "pre paid" can not exceed that bonus, correct??

Gotta love the homers.
    I will just assume you didn't watch the game or you just started watching football and don't quite grasp the game yet.

Total net yards 137 yards. 40 of those yards were on a fake punt. 0-15 on 3rd downs. Yes, that is "practically pitching a shutout."

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Had this discussion yesterday. No one I was with could give a definitive answer. I tend to agree with you. I cannot recall any NFL trades where a team ate part of the salary. It's not baseball.
    You "eat" salary by converting part of a guaranteed salary into a roster bonus due the day before the trade. That has definitely happened with some recent trades, though I don't remember which one.

That said, Sanchez has money guaranteed in 2014 too I believe.

Kimberly A. Martin @KMart_LI
    Stop me if you've heard this one before: An anonymous player rips Tebow. This time, it's an unnamed Denver Bronco... #nyj

Unnamed Bronco told @realfreemancbs: "When Tim was here we saw the issues up close. #Jets didn't & now they are seeing the problems..." #nyj

I think she's referring to this:

mike freeman @realfreemancbs
    Some Broncos players express sympathy for Tim Tebow. Blog: cbsprt.co/UBLi0a

Jets Insider VIP
    the day before the trade.
    What trade? Have you people lost your mind? Did you watch sanchez play yesterday? nobody is trading for this scrub.

Lots of you have joined rex is the world of delusion.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Just not sure what the Jets do with Sanchez now. He'll cost the team like $8 million against the cap next season. If they can move him for half his salary and eat the other half that could at least give them $4 million to spend on a decent impact player rather than carrying him next season.
    Well, assuming McElroy does the job, think of the position as a whole instead of individually. For one season, your back up - Sanchez - will make alot more than your starter.

Brandon Moore: "He's a pretty confident kid, borderline cocky, but you kind of like that in a quarterback. Guys understood that we needed to rally all around him and guys needed to make plays. The huddle got tighter, and that's kind of what happened."
    That's perfect. That's exactly what I want in my QB leading this team.

Really hope they let him start next week. Can't wait to see what he does.

Hall Of Fame
    Rex's press conference starts in 5 minutes. Go to newyorkjets.com to watch live if you want to.