Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Jets Tweets 12/3: "Beginning of the McElroy era" Edition

Brian Costello @BrianCoz
    Rex said he probably will have a decision by Tuesday night going into practice Weds #nyj

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Jason423 View Post
    Teams do occasionally do this in the NFL. The Rams did it with Jason Smith prior to the trade with the Jets. Houston I believe did it with DeMeco Ryans. The Seahawks did it with Aaron Curry last year. Other teams have also done it. What you do is the day before a trade sign a new contract with the player. Using Sanchez as an example, the Jets would restructure his deal by paying him say a $4 million dollar roster or signing bonus that is paid in full that day. His base salary would fall from 8.25 to 4.25 million. That gets processed by the NFL. Immediately after acceptance from the NFL you trade Sanchez to another team. Now you take an additional $4 million cap hit since you prepaid that money and the acquiring team in only on the hook for the balance. Its different than baseball in that you are not paying while the player is on another team, but the meaning is the same.
    We were talking about this a week or two ago....is it possible to find a team that would trade for Sanchez with a salary of roughly $4 million? Perhaps they'd be willing to renegotiate Sanchez to a 2-3 year deal worth high, but somewhat reasonable backup money. After all, Kyle Orton got a 3 yr/ $11 million deal. Chad Henne got something of 2 yr/$7 mill. That would mean that Sanchez gets a new start somewhere, the Jets eat $4 million of his $8 million salary and deal with another $4 million in dead money. If that is spread over 2 years, its palatable. Painful, sure. But considering how the benefit of a clean start for everyone, likely doable.

The question then is where could Sanchez go? That is a harder mental exercise. Oak? KC? Arizona?

Hall Of Fame
    I think the fact that he did not name Sanchez today, leads me to believe he is starting McElroy.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think the fact that he did not name Sanchez today, leads me to believe he is starting McElroy.
    I think the exact opposite. He should of just said Greg filled in well, we are going to stick with him. The fact he did not say that, leads me to believe he is going to go with sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I think the exact opposite. He should of just said Greg filled in well, we are going to stick with him. The fact he did not say that, leads me to believe he is going to go with sanchez.
    Maybe, or Rex simply hasnt found the coin to flip yet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Oak? KC? Arizona?
    All 3 teams will be picking ahead of the Jets and can address the qb position. There is not 1 team that would trade for sanchez. No one.

Come on we all know deep down there is no way we get rid of Sanchez that easy. We have at least another year of Sanchez meltdowns to look forward to till we MAY get rid of him.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    IIRC the media are not supposed to take pictures of players in the locker room unless they are talking to the media. Remember that situation with Scott earlier this year.
    The clowns that cover this team aren't the most ethical bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Saw that on the news last night. He looks like he feels really bad, could even be crying. Someone should have asked him: What made you feel worse Mark, throwing three interceptions or being benched?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

All 3 teams will be picking ahead of the Jets and can address the qb position. There is not 1 team that would trade for sanchez. No one.
    I'm not suggesting as a starter, but is Sanchez's value as a veteran backup below Brady Quinn's? Orton? Henne?

Who knows, maybe he could go somewhere like Minnesota if Ponder keeps ****ting the bed. It would make sense to have a viable backup there in the event he still struggles for the rest of the year and next. Its not like the Vikes have a huge commitment to him, financially.

Not sayings its going to happen or even that its likely, but it is possible. By next year, if the Jets decide that they have a viable QB they want to pursue, it would be very difficult to have Sanchez on the team. If/when that happens, his value is higher elsewhere, as here he brings baggage. Another team would see the upside, we would only deal with the controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm not suggesting as a starter, but is Sanchez's value as a veteran backup below Brady Quinn's? Orton? Henne?

Who knows, maybe he could go somewhere like Minnesota if Ponder keeps ****ting the bed. It would make sense to have a viable backup there in the event he still struggles for the rest of the year and next. Its not like the Vikes have a huge commitment to him, financially.

Not sayings its going to happen or even that its likely, but it is possible. By next year, if the Jets decide that they have a viable QB they want to pursue, it would be very difficult to have Sanchez on the team. If/when that happens, his value is higher elsewhere, as here he brings baggage. Another team would see the upside, we would only deal with the controversy.
    That would actually be the perfect place for Sanchez to go. The have a great running game and everyone knows that Mark needs that to be effective. Plus he'd be playing in a dome, in a dead town with no distractions... could be exactly what he needs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thats fine. But you sign those guys to free agent contracts under your own financial terms. You do not trade for that kind of player.

see jason campell, brady quinn, orton and henne.

I think Rex in an effort to protect Mark’s fragile ego (look at the two of them after the game), has to make it look like this was a big time decision… like he had to do some soul searching.

In the end, he knows full well who needs to start this week… and it’s not Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Saw that on the news last night. He looks like he feels really bad, could even be crying. Someone should have asked him: What made you feel worse Mark, throwing three interceptions or being benched?
    He looks like he's tying his tie.

As a matter of fact, he is.

Of course everyone was juiced when sanchez got benched. Hes awful and sucked the life out of the whole team this year.
    I know he reminded me of Chad in 2007....

Banned
    If he did that, and it was a Jets home game, the fans would riot.

Playing on the road, I can see him going back to Sanchez.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I will just assume you didn't watch the game or you just started watching football and don't quite grasp the game yet.

Total net yards 137 yards. 40 of those yards were on a fake punt. 0-15 on 3rd downs. Yes, that is "practically pitching a shutout."
    he didnt watch the game, he was picking some fruit somewhere while the game was on

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I'm confused. Does that mean that the benching came from Sparano or Rex?
    I was watching the sideline when it happened.

Rex grabbed Sparano as the punt team was running on the field and told him something

Sparano went right over to GMc and told him to get his helmet and warm up because he was comung in

Then the entire crowd rose to their feet cheering when they saw Greg start throwing. And pretty much stayed in that position for the rest of the game

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    McElroy and Tebow will do conference calls with the media today #nyj

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr
    Tebow + McElroy will both be on this conference call coming up. To quote George Costanza: "You wana get nuts? Let's get nuts!!" #jets

This is the NFL. There'll be some coach or organization out there who believes that they can fix what ails Sanchez and would trade for him if the price is right.

Think about it, even after all that we've seen from him this year, there are still people here claiming that the coaches ruined him and that "if only they had given him some weapons" ......